Darling River Run. Need sources of information

Hi,

I am thinking of doing the Darling River Run from Lightning Ridge down to the Murray later this year. I will be starting from Armidale, NSW
I am finding it difficult to get any useful information for planning, eg. places to camp, places of interest, best route etc. Is it worthwhile to do a loop detour through White Cliffs?
I would really appreciate pointers to useful sources and any other useful info.

Phil I
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:22

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:22
may seem like a silly reply but have you read the treknote for this exact route with waypoints, camps, things to see and do etc. See Darling River Run.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 299638

Reply By: Member - John G- Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:36

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 15:36
G'day Phil

Have a look at www.campertrailers.org in the Members Trip Reports.

We did the trip in 2006, so things may have changed. It's a great trip.

Cheers
John G
AnswerID: 299645

Reply By: WayneD - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:23

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:23
Phil
I have done this run a couple of times. First time I did White Cliffs, Mutawintji, Broken Hill and then down to Kinchega NP and Mungo NP and onto Mildura.
Not much to see at White Cliffs except underground hotel. There are some excellent walks around Mutawintji NP. There is a campground with pit toilet and cold showers. It is pretty cold at night but the night skys are brilliant. Kinchega and Mungo have shearers quarters accommodation but you have to book. The roads were not too bad on any of the trips but if it has been raining some roads may be closed. Menindee Lakes may have some water in them now, and hopefully the Darling has had a flush.
Both shearers quarters have hot showers and flushing toilets, its not 4 star but a nice way to spend a couple of nights.
I have done this trip 3 times. First time in a Falcon ute and last time in Disco 3. It is a pretty easy trip and very enjoyable.
Wayne
AnswerID: 299653

Follow Up By: Dave B (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:22

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 21:22
The shearers quarters at Mungo burnt down a few years ago.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 566097

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:57

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 16:57
Hi Phil.
As well as the article on exploroz, tourism NSW has published a good pamphlet entitled Darling River Run.Included is a comprehensive map of outback NSW & info on the various towns.

We are doing the run from Bourke early July & then heading west to Flinders Ranges & Birdsville.

Regards.
Vince
AnswerID: 299660

Reply By: ruafrood - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:26

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:26
Phil

There is a great bush camp around 50k east of Wilcannia. When we were there 12 months ago (today actually) they had just recently completed the new Loos, BBQ’s, and were working on the information boards.

It is just off the road and called the Coach and Horses camping ground on the Darling River at the old Wilga Station, http://tinyurl.com/2q2rlv.

An alternative to camping in Wilcannia.

Ron & Shirley
www.ronshirl.net
AnswerID: 299679

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:34

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:34
It would be great if you could add this place to the Places Search system. This would then be automatically added to the trek notes and available for everyone to see down the track. Thanks.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 565842

Reply By: Member - Jon W (QLD) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:48

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 18:48
Phil,
We are doing it late June/early July. Have a look at www.outbackbeds.com.au.
On the home page, click on places to stay. Look at Trilby, Tilpa, Old Buckanbe & Kallara. Each has accom and camping.
Hope this helps.
Jon W
AnswerID: 299684

Reply By: phil - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 20:36

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 20:36
My thanks for all the really helpful responses so far.
The trip report on the camper trailer web site is great
I have lots to start chasing up!

Phil I
AnswerID: 299703

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:17

Monday, Apr 21, 2008 at 22:17
Also shearer's quarters at Gundabooka NP. Only about 80km SE of Louth.
AnswerID: 299734

Reply By: WayneD - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:07

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:07
I was out at Mungo last August and wondered why they had "refurbished" some of the quarters. They must have rebuilt those that were burnt and have put in disabled access. The kitchen and the stand alone single quarters were as they were when I first went out there in the late 90's.

The area has been fenced to give added privacy. Would still be on my list of places to visit and stay.
AnswerID: 300040

Sponsored Links