camper trailer kitchen slide

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 17:04
ThreadID: 56891 Views:7723 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Just like to find out what people use for slides for their kitchen. I'm looking at having the kitchen the full length of one side of the trailer and want to see what I can use to make it easy to slide in and out.

Thanks
Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 17:23

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 17:23
Have a look at my rig pics. I went down to the local bearings workshop and delved through their bargain boxes and found a block of nylon around 20mm thick. I cut it into strips and screwed it to the underneath of my kitchen.

I bolted some angle iron to the tub of the trailer to use as guides for the kitchen. I welded a couple of brackets to the iron and cleaned it up a bit and painted it.

Spray some silicone lube on the angle iron and the whole kitchen slides in and out perfectly. I was amazed myself how easily the nylon slides on the silicone lube. All up cost: 6m of angle iron $20. Nylon block $4. Silicone lube can $10. I looked around for roller runners and numerous other specially made items but this was easy and works very well.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 299875

Reply By: mfewster - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 17:39

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 17:39
You can also use the nylon/plastic? cutting boards the same way. Just cut into the shape strips you want.
AnswerID: 299877

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:53

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:53
Yeh Mfewster those chopping boards are nylon and the same material I used. Very good and cheap.
FollowupID: 566086

Reply By: Member - The Parts Guy (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 18:37

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 18:37
Hi Neil, mate of mine has just been through this and after the fourth attempt making his own, he now seems to have it sussed. He ended up taking a fridge slide I gave him to an engineering firm and had a larger slide made suitable for the kitchen assembly. It was done at what I consider a reasonable cost and works fantastic. We are in SA ,not sure where you are. I can forward the contact details to you if needed. Cost around $300 ish
AnswerID: 299888

Reply By: Philip A - Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:30

Tuesday, Apr 22, 2008 at 20:30
My 10 year old Campomatic has nylon slides.
May I suggest that maybe its not such a great idea to have bearing slides.
If you forget to lock the kitchen , with roller slides it will slam out on the first side slope or corner. An acquaintance had this happen at Cape York, and it severely damaged the camper, a new Australian Camper Trailers job costing 60K.

I think it will take more effort with a nylon slide, and maybe come half way out and be noticed.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 299922

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:41

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:41
G'day Neil, when I made my kitchen I used two wheels about 3"
dia, bought from Magmart..fixed caster type things. Had to modify a bit, then bolted to inside end of kitchen so that they protrude
about 1/2 inch below bottom. With a large handle on outside end
it rolls out effortlessly. I suggest making it full length may make it
very heavy. I bolted an aluminium strip off an old door frame to the trailer floor as a slide guide that stops kitchen going sideways.
cheers...oldbaz.
AnswerID: 300031

Reply By: Silvascape - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 09:32

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 09:32
Hi There
I have made a full length kitchen for my camper. After much research I bought strips of boat slide material from our local marine shop. It is about 5cm wide and 1cm thick and is profiled. From memory it came in red and blue. I just screwed the strips to the bottom of the kitchen (make sure you countersink the screws) and the kitchen slides in and out of the trailer fairly easily. I have angle iron guides down one side and have used security sliding door locks to lock the kitchen into place - Cost $20 for the strips, $15 for the door locks, angle iron was lying around. Installation time - 5 minutes for the strips and locks on the kitchen, 15 for the angle iron. Great low tech solution - very stround and durable with no moving parts.
AnswerID: 300222

Sponsored Links