Lpg and unleaded ratio??

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:26
ThreadID: 56915 Views:2310 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have a NM pajero fitted with Lpg the installer admits he doesn't really know if the vehicle should have a run on Ulp weekly / daily or at all .Sorry if this sounds nerdy but if there is a forum to use and you don't how can the good people of the world help us that don't know. Thanks for your time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: autosparky - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:29

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:29
doesn't it have a petrol start gas run switch?
AnswerID: 300027

Follow Up By: sandk33 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:50

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:50
Thanks for the reply these new ones have a switch between fuels but they via puta auto start on ulp..........thanks again
FollowupID: 566176

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:36

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:36
The NM can run on LPG alone. The valve seats are LPG compatible.

For more info try Pajero Club forum

AnswerID: 300030

Follow Up By: sandk33 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:48

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:48
Thanks for that will go look at Pajero site .

FollowupID: 566173

Reply By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:47

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:47
The Parnell kit fitted to my car suggests about 20 litres every 30-45 days.

All I do is run the gas tank out and run on petrol until I fill again with LPG.That way it gets a decent flush every week.

Jim.

AnswerID: 300033

Follow Up By: sandk33 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:55

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:55
I like you suggestion and will do it that way only while Iam not travelling it battles to do 20klm a week so Iam going to tell Sandra that your advice is that we have to travel more thank you in advance
Kevin
FollowupID: 566177

Reply By: Andrea11 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:48

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:48
Hi there,

A strong word of caution....... Allways, allways start your car on Petrol let it warm up while driving then switch to Lpg and do the same before you turnoff the car allways on Petrol too.

I know this to be true because we have just had to do an engine rebuild at at cost of $5500.00, we have also brought a flash lube kit and have that installed under a $100.00 from supa cheap, this keeps the valves lubricated as Lpg is a dry form of fuel.

I hope this info helps, I don't mean to be telling you what to do in a bombastic manner, it is just that I would hate for anyone else to have had the massive expense we have just had. I'm assured by our mechanic that we should never have a problem again as he had all the bore sleeves pinned, and the flash lube kit will do it's job and keep everything lubricated nicely.

Kind Regards
Andrea
AnswerID: 300034

Follow Up By: sandk33 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:56

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:56
Appreciate the info and will take it on board and follow it up........thank you
FollowupID: 566178

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:07

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:07
What model car/engine? Modern engines don't need this.
FollowupID: 566180

Follow Up By: Andrea11 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:22

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:22
Hi John,

Our 4wd is a Landrover S1 Disco. I know that some makes of 4wd are a hotly debated topic, and it seems non more so than Landrover on this forum. Having said that I can't speak for all Landrover Disco's but ours is just lovely to drive it will take you anywhere and yes it is a thirsty V8, and if we were do have to do it again we would probably go with a landrover TD Diesel.

Kind Regards
Andrea
FollowupID: 566198

Reply By: splits - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 14:19

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 14:19
sandk33

I would not be very impressed with a gas installer who could not answer a simple question like that for a customer. Nobody is expected to know everything but he should know how to find out. All it would take is a few phone calls to the State distributor of the gas kit he installed or maybe Mitsibishi and even the TAFE gas school where he got his licence.

I have had a gas licence since 1988 after having gas fitted to my car and deciding to do the two week gas licence course at Ultimo TAFE in Sydney to find out how it worked. As a general rule running a dual fuel car occassionally on petrol is to keep the petrol system working, not to protect the engine in any way. Gas engines usually last longer because gas does not wash oil of the cylinder walls like petrol does. Older engines will almost certainly have valve problems and switching regularly to petrol is not likely to stop it. Any car designed for unleaded will usually have valves and seats suitable for gas.

The first gas car I had was a 1972 Peugeot in which I did 430,000 ks on gas. The exhaust valve seats lasted 20,000 before I had to replace them with harder ones. I had no more problems from then on with any other part of the engine. I very rarely switched it to petrol but it always worked when I did. I would not do that with an EFI car though.

The second was a straight gas 1978 Gemini. These cars were designed for unleaded because it had been in use for years overseas before we got it. I did 180,000 ks in it and had no engine problems at all but it did run too hot after I converted it. This can be a problem with some cars and they may need a larger radiator, fan etc. I found a new triple core radiator and cooler thermostat made no difference so I made a fiberglass fan shroud and that solved the problem.

Whether to start on petrol then switch to gas is a subject that comes up often and there seems to be a lot of incorrect information out there about it. I have heard people say on Holden sites for example that the early V6 Commodores with the factory Impco kits in them started on petrol and then switched to gas automatically later on. The truth is, according to the genuine GM gas workshop manual, that gas is used as a starting aid only. You turn the key and if the engine does not start within 0.4 seconds, petrol will be injected for 0.44 seconds. The injection times vary slightly depending on the coolant temperature and whether there is gas in the intake manifold or not but the procedure does not change.

In contrast to that I was at the Impco gas depot in Sydney two years ago and was shown a gas converted new Rodeo ute with the twin cam Holden V6 in it. It had a more complex sequential gas injection system and I was told it started on petrol then switched to gas. You could hear this happen as the gas injectors started clicking after the engine had warmed up a little on petrol.

I am not sure what the correct procedure is for your car but it is important you find out exactly from people who definitely know for sure. You also need to know if gas will have any other effects on your engine like temperature, spark plug heat range etc. I would go back to your installer and ask if he could find out for you and if you have the slightest doubt about his answers then ring the places I mentioned yourself.

Brian
AnswerID: 300077

Follow Up By: sandk33 - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 20:09

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2008 at 20:09
Dear Brian,
Thank you very much for the respond and I have no doubt I am not the only one to glean a whole lot of info and detail from it.
Thanks again Iam of out to the installer tomorrow armed with your knowledge hope you don't mind and will either find out the info or find where I can find it.

Cheers and travel safe.
Kevin
FollowupID: 566296

Sponsored Links