GPS Question - Garmin Vista HCx. Wishing to load ShonkyMaps onto preloaded City

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 13:46
ThreadID: 56953 Views:3108 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings;

I've had my Vista HCx for about 2 weeks now. I managed to get ShonkyMaps installed via Mapsource after about 3 hours of fiddling and was pretty stoked with what this gave me.

Then I got the bug and ordered City Nav NT 2008 on MicroSD from the US for $200.

This now means that Shonky and City Nav are on different cards which isn't practical. I tried to load ShonkyMaps onto the new City Nav card and it keeps giving me an error about not being able to write to the requested memory space. I then tried to load City Nav from the device to Mapsource and it still didn't want to know.

Would I be better off selling the City Nav card and buying City Nav NT on CD so I can whack it into Mapsource and load it into the device that way? This way I can theoretically have Shonky and CN on the same card.

Or does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 14:16

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 14:16
Others may suggest something different, however have you thought to check how much free space there is on the SD Card. You might find that the way they have written to it prohibits you adding anything else for fear you may corrupt the map files. Just a thought - but could be worth a check. You could also consider obtaining another SD Card of sufficient capacity and try to copy the map files to it followed by Shonky Map files. If my memory serves me Garmin are pretty good at write protecting their property so therefore you may have difficulty copying it or being able to write to their disk.
AnswerID: 300260

Follow Up By: DesF - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 16:26

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 16:26
Hi My mate has a Garman GPS, and he found to load City nav 8, Shonkymaps and Tracks 4 aust & oztopo , all at once he had to load them all into one file and then load it, before each one used to go over the the ones that were in there.
Also he has to get a 2gig card to hold it all.
Cheers Des.
FollowupID: 566429

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 17:50

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 17:50
Hi DesF , your mate didn't have a preloaded CN2008Nt on the microSd card in the beginning. He would have loaded the CN from a CD which was installed from a PC
FollowupID: 566441

Follow Up By: DesF - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 20:08

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 20:08
Hi, Sorry when we loaded it last year it had CN07 on it and we loaded it all on then and when he got CN08 he had to reload all of them at the same time again.
His is an older Street Pilot 2610.
Cheers Des.
FollowupID: 566470

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:36

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:36
A very good source of information found at the gpsaustralia forum site. All garmin experts on this site. Very helpful.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300292

Reply By: macbushy - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:12

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:12
I have Garmin60 csx I have both shonky maps and city nav on it. Loaded both onto map source and then into GPS unit but do have a 2GB micro SD card. Wont fit onto smaller card.
I think with std card you may fit about 1/4 of (your selection) shonky maps it .
City nav (std) should just be uploded by map source no worries.
Did you get the code for accessing it from seller? They often ask you to email them so they can send you access code,

Why NT?
AnswerID: 300684

Sponsored Links