Peter Brock and PC Madness

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 17:56
ThreadID: 56959 Views:3260 Replies:10 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
I know this fairly 'off topic' but I was amazed to hear today about strong opposition developing towards Bathurst City Council's plan to erect a monument to Peter Brock. Why? Because the monument design involves Brocky standing on the roof of a VK Commodore decked out in the familiar 05 livery and complete with the Malboro advertising. No surprise that the anti-tobacco lobby are up in arms.

I am no great fan of cigarette advertising, but really I think that opposition to such a plan gets a bit ridiculous. Perhaps my children will take up smoking if they ever see it (best stay away from Bathurst) and perhaps they could have chosen a different car. But whether people like it or not, Malboro sponsorship was a large part of the Peter Brock story and you can't just pretend it wasn't so.

Several news articles I have heard won't even mention the word 'Malboro', it is just reported as a 'cigarette company'. How ridiculous.

In some regards it almost strikes me as an attempt to re-write history under a blanket of politically correct righteousness.

What's next I wonder?

Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:03

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:03
I agree.....it is out of hand sometimes!! Like I drive past a Toyota dealer everyday and thier advertising hasn't made me take up the habit....Thank god!! LOL

Cheers Stefan

P.S as a ford fan....maybe they can put the Brock Sierra there instead??? or how about the BMW he drove for a while???

AnswerID: 300283

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:13

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:13
mobil oil has been a big part too.......why not that? me thinks cause it is maybe smoke ad by stealth??? who is paying for the said monument??

Stefan
FollowupID: 566450

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:17

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:17
Well that is the major opposition, ie Malboro gets free advertising in perpetuity.

The project is reportedly funded entirely by the council.
FollowupID: 566451

Follow Up By: madfisher - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:34

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:34
You mean the rate payers Matt of which I am one. I dont believe you can rewrite history though. The car should be shown as it was.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 566482

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:15

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:15
Matt

I would oppose permanent cigarette advertising as well. Why can't they erect a statue/monument like any other in bronze or whatever

Just hope that your children do not take up smoking. Smoking is just plain stupid legalised drug taking(so is grog for that matter but much nicer...lol)

Cheers
AnswerID: 300287

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:25

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:25
It's hard to differentiate between the 2 ..... Tobacco kills people, alcohol kills families!
Also depending upon whose viewpoint you view it, both are "nice".
FollowupID: 566454

Follow Up By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:27

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 18:27
I guess they could choose another monument Willem that does not involve Malboro (perhaps they will be forced to yet). Like you I don't think that cigarette advertising has a place in sport and I support the current restrictions on cigarette advertising across the board. Evil thing (ex-smoker here).

But, I can only assume that the council (who is funding the whole thing) has their reasons for doing it this way. Perhaps they figure it was 'the' iconic Brock car, 'the' pose or something other reason. But having made their decision, it concerns me that their is this sort of opposition.

You jest about the grog, but in 15 years when alcohol becomes a taboo subject the jokes won't be funny. Imagine how many of our sporting heroes will be expunged from history when grog is taboo!

Cheers,

Matt.
FollowupID: 566455

Reply By: The Bigfella - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 20:28

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 20:28
I live in Bathurst and the local paper has been full of this during the week.
I just cannot believe that there are people out there who oppose the "Malboro" bit. It was bloody years ago - for god's sake get over it people. I can't stand smoking and I have never smoked but it will not make me take up smoking when I drive past.
Do any of you rush straight out and by McDonalds when you see an ad on TV? Do you rush out and buy Bundy Rum when the Bundy Bear turns up on TV? The answer NO.
So to all the "anti" Malboro bit you need to wake up to your selves and get a real life.
It will make no difference at all. It is history and none of us can change history.
I am proud of my town and the car racing history that comes with it
I now feel like another homebrew.
The Bigfella
AnswerID: 300305

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:05

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:05
If Bathurst is that anxious to get a few more tourist dollars then let Bathurst wear of sticking up a bloody statue or whatever for a bloke who it now appears is less than somewhat squeaky clean.

However! As a sixty two year old who started smking at sixteen years of age after being exposed to the phenomally glamorous advertisements filmed on behalf of Peter Stuyvesant, Rothmans, and of course Marlboro, shown at the start of every picture show or movie, to you young farts, I say stick it right up your clacker.

Yes! I'm sixty two, started smoking at sixteen cause it was "cool man", it was glamorous, everyone did it. Real men smoked, pooftas did not. I then went to the bush and worked as a stockman and learnt very quickly that only "pillow biters" smoked tailor mades. So I went to the old Tavistock and rubbed my own tobacco to make my own.

Now at sixty two I've found that its easy to give up smoking cause I've done it dozens and dozens of times. Emphysema not withstanding I know the bloody things are a curse.

If Bathurst are going to stick up a statue, memorial or whatever then make sure they know who they are commemorating, Peter Brock or the bloody tobacco industry.

A statue of of Brocky or a statue of te Marlboro Man O.K. Let Bathurst show who pays their way.

Ian
AnswerID: 300330

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:53

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:53
sorry mate but youve got to take some personall resposabillity classes. Ive been exposed to as much or more cig advertising as you as well as the peer pressure but i did what i wanted.
my parents are both from your era or before and smoked. when it became public knowledge as to haw bad it is they gave up.
You walk in to the shop and buy the packet - no one else no one makes you
FollowupID: 566525

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:41

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:41
Davoe,

In keeping with your usual efforts, that was damned stupid and rude response.

Jim.

FollowupID: 566565

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:32

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:32
Yeah Davoe!!!
How dare you have an opinion!
Not only that....how bloody rude? Sure your not saying people need to be accountable for their own actions?

LOL
FollowupID: 566571

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:46

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:46
Davoe,

Thank you for the sermon, I hope you feel better.

The point I'm obviously not getting across is that including Brock's car in Marlboro livery is an indirect advertisement for Marlboro in particular and the tobacco industry in general.

By all means commemorate Peter Brock but leave Marlboro out of the equation.

Now as far as "personal responsibility" is concerned I was not blaming someone else for my habit.

Yes Davoe! I am aware that I walk into the shop and make the purchase, no one forced me to take up smoking. But thank you for reminding me anyway.

I will however endeavour to prevent today's youngsters from doing what I thought at the time was a smart and glamorous thing to do.

I'm very much aware that the tobacco industry now engages in stealth advertising at any opportunity, they will lobby anyone that might further their cause.

Just who is so keen to include the Marlboro Car and why is it so important?

Ian

FollowupID: 566572

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:49

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:49
Theres alot on this forum who could make coments like that with some creadbility Jimbo................... your not one of them
FollowupID: 566617

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:53

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:53
And to prove how effective that adverising is despite seeing brocky cross the winners line on quite a few occasions. before this post if I had eddie mc guire opisite me and for 1 million asked who BP major sponser was i would have had to take to 500
FollowupID: 566618

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:17

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:17
Ian
Well said,
my thoughts...
1. Why do company's advertise ?? - To con people !!!
2. If nobody listened to or took notice of adverts - Why advertise ??
3. Honor the man - There are plenty of examples to use without controversy
That's my 2 cents !!!!!!!!!!!!
Bazza
FollowupID: 566654

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:35

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:35
Davoe,

You are a dead set ignoramus.

Stupid beyond belief.

Thick as a brick.

Wouldn't know chit from clay.

Are you getting it????

Probably not.

FollowupID: 566655

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:36

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:36
Davoe Is spot on.

I smoked 50 per day for 20+ years, who made me smoke No one but me, who made me give up no one but me.

I was a Brocky fan since I first watched him drive down conrod in the early 70s, from my uncles Shearing shed roof, he was my hero, Did I ever smoke Marlboro?? NO Did he make me start smoking NO Did his car Make me smoke NO.

For F@ck Sake people need to take responsibility for there own actions, stop blaming others for what you do or don't do, My way of thinking is,Don't come to me with a problem unless you have a solution, because if you are not part of the solution you are more than likely part of the problem.

Cheers Steve.

PS : Should Brocky have a statue in Bathurst YES doe's it matter what car it is NO.

FollowupID: 566656

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 00:08

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 00:08
So Steve,

You're a Brocky fan?

You revere men who bash women?? And cheat on their wives, and leave their money to ..... well make your own judgement.

He wouldn't be someone I would look up to.

And he made a lot of money out of Tobacco at a time that it was well known how dangerous it was. As a cult hero to the masses he used his popularity to flog a death product, FOR PROFIT.

Get real and look up to some real men, Neville Bonner, Fred Hollows, Dr Victor Chang.....

Jim.

FollowupID: 566659

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 00:58

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 00:58
Jim

What Peter Brock did or didn't do in his private life, is his business.

What that man did on or off the race track for his fans was legendary, he was a hero to millions.

Just wondering, do you treat or speak to your customers, with the same contempt you treat people on this forum?

By the way a REAL man would not call someone names like this,

Stupid beyond belief.

Thick as a brick.

On the internet, he would say it to your face.

Steve.

FollowupID: 566660

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:48

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:48
"What that man did on or off the race track for his fans was legendary" only when he drove a FORD........
FollowupID: 566662

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 02:07

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 02:07

Stupid beyond belief.

Thick as a brick.

"Sigh"
sorry i have to repeat myself but obviosly i do
i may or may not conform to your opinion of me but as someone that obviosly fits it to a "T"
i wouldnt bother describing yourself to me again
FollowupID: 566665

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:00

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:00
Steve,

We obviously have different ideas, that is fine.

However, make no mistake, I do tell people to their face what I think.

When we had four car loads of hoons causing trouble at the back of our property, 5 months ago, I told them in no uncertain terms to piss off. One mob of six young thugs thought it would be a bit of fun to give an old bloke (46) a bit of a touch up.

My youngest lad (18) came out to support the old man. It wasn't a fair fight, 6 of them, 2 of us. They needed more blokes LOL. After they got done, they retreated, regrouped (with the exception of the ring leader who was having a snooze) and came back armed with garden stakes and a Pit Bull.

I guess a sensible man would have run inside, locked the doors and called the cops. I lack sense at times. My Dad taught me never to run or back down.

I've got scars on back around the kidney region which are a beautiful imprint of a Pit Bull's teeth and jaw. Sure I was a bit sore for a while, but my pride remained in tact.

And I'd do the same again tomorrow.

So, yeah, if someone offends me, I tell them.

And yes, I have treated bleep customers with the contempt they are due, both in this business and our previous one.

And on the Brock thing, this man made a lot of money promoting Smokes at a time that the health risks were irrefutable. That is to say, he took dirty money.

Worst thing I ever did in my life was to take up smoking. And yes, the likes of Peter Brock did have an influence on a 13 year old boy.

Jim.

FollowupID: 566815

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:40

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:40
Wow Jim!
What a story......
But Im confussed............
Why are you telling us this?
Is it just something that sprung to mind, and you thought it was a good time to tell?
Or are you saying you are the meanest son of a biitch to walk the earth and anyone who disagrees with you will be abused and then beaten to a pulp?

Be afwaid Steve!
Be veeerwy veeerwy afwaid

LOL
FollowupID: 566913

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 21:07

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 21:07
Hey Hairy.

There is no need to be afraid, as I have found over the years, that some one with an attitude that big only stands about 5 foot tall, but the one thing I have noticed with Jim is he is very well balanced, that being he has a chip on both shoulders.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 566930

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:35

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:35
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 566977

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:39

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:39
The point my Dear Hairy is simple.

Steve suggested I was a keyboard coward and wouldn't have the balls to front someone face to face. He is incorrect.

Steve also suggested I was not a REAL man. Where I come from REAL men do not hit women. Steve reveres Brock who was a known woman basher.

Like I said, we have different values.

FollowupID: 566989

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:02

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:02
Ahhhh...
Now Im starting to get it,
Could this be the words of a sour FORD man????
Or just someone who considers them self holier than thou?

HaHaha.........

Would it be different in your eyes if it was of Dick Johnson with Shell sponsorship....you know...that fuel company who's product produces more carbon monoxide than tobbacco and who currently is screwing us all, not just someone elses wife?
What about all the wars around the world either directly or in directly cause by greed due to wealth from oil.

Suppose thats different hey????

Roflmao........

Cheers
FollowupID: 566992

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:23

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:23
Hairy I am neither a Ford, Holden, Toyota or Rolls Rovce or whatever man. I currently drive a Mazda wearing Ford badges. First Mazda I've ever owned. Wouild actually have preferred the V6 Rodeo or Hi Lux, but wasn't within my budget.

I grew out of that Ford/Holden thing about the time I started shaving.

Incidentally, in my younger years, Peter Brock and Colin Bond were my heroes. I considered Alan Moffat to be the the anti-Christ. Grew out of that sort of crap at a fairly early age as well.

Your correlation between oil companies and tobacco companies is totally devoid of logic. No surprise.

FollowupID: 566994

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:43

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:43
HaHaha...... Sounds like you grew out of a lot of things.....Including your boots, HaHaHa, ROFLMAO

Imagine If we all grew up and were more like you...We'd all be driving Hyundai's with Daewoo badges and insulting everyone that supported a team or had a difference of opinion.

Bwaahhhhh!!!!!

LOL
FollowupID: 566996

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:19

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:19
Sorry Ian

But JIm manybe you need to change the name in this quote "In keeping with your usual efforts, that was damned stupid and rude response."

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard
FollowupID: 567133

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 23:01

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 23:01
---- and yet the biggest baddest guy to ever log on still wont accept the fact he smpkes because he want to preferring to point at brocky saying "he made me do it"
weve all had to face down gangs of 'disadvantaged youths" throwing tables, chairs, rocks etc at as or threatening to smash us or cut our throats but we prefer not to post of it
FollowupID: 567154

Reply By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:06

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:06
MMMMMM!! So lets look at the modern day sponsers of the modern era of V8 motor racing.

Jack Daniels.

Jim Beam..

Fosters.

Ah! and the wines

Sirromet etc, etc,

So in the old days B&H, Windfield, Marlboro, Peter styveston,

Kept the sport alive!, as the Sponsers of companys mentioned do today! , They will be criticised the same way in time, As far as a Brock Monument goes, Yes He was good driver, But there are others out there that need the same reconision so are there going to be monuments all around the track?

Cheers Axle.

Cheers Axle.

AnswerID: 300331

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 00:08

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 00:08
Maybe they will build monuments to drivers that win it 10 times!
FollowupID: 566517

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:08

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:08
He was a great driver!, But had a lot of dealer team advantage in those years , compared to others that where just as good!!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 566523

Reply By: Member - Stuart W (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:15

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:15
Is it meant to be a monument to Brocky or to his car. That's a pretty famous car but he did drive others.
AnswerID: 300335

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:56

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:56
I remeber an interview where he was asked which one was the best. Everone expected him to say the a9x or vk commy but he said the one im driving now - they just keep making them better and better
FollowupID: 566526

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:49

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:49
Hell i feel likre a freak. ive been exposed to the benson and hedges 1 day series, F1 cars with all mannor of fag advertising, the marlbourough o5 car
the list gos on
.............. but I dont smoke sheesh i want to start
AnswerID: 300348

Reply By: Ozboc - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:46

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:46
One thing i have learn't in life , you can never keep EVERYONE happy , there will always be one that will disagree , no matter how good the intention is ....

Boc

AnswerID: 300374

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 02:12

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 02:12
As this post has turned into whatever i will give my most favourite ever smoking quote
" the easiest way to give up is to never start:"
should be up on all the school walls because it really is the final word on smoking
AnswerID: 300527

Reply By: OzTroopy - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:23

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:23
I wish they hadn't banned cigarette advertising. Events and entertainments has such cheaper entry fees back when it was OK.
AnswerID: 301080

Sponsored Links