Who listens to Macca on a Sunday Morning?

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 20:57
ThreadID: 56964 Views:4827 Replies:16 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Macca has a segment, on his show now and again, its called,
Why I Live Where I Live.
I thought maybe we could just give a little bit of info about our selves, nothing to personell, telling people about the area or town,
the reason you live there, is it good or bad, would you rather live at another place, if you had a choice,ect. this way people who like to
travel, might like to visit the town or place, or add it to the list of
places to see. I will start it off,
My wife and I live on the Gold Coast, we have lived here since the
late 1950-s, it was a great place to be at that time, no glitz or
high rises ect, its still is a good holiday destination if you like that sort of thing, we live at the southern end of the Gold Coast, far
enough away from the rat race, we remain here because of our
family, and our business, but sooner or later we will relocate to
a small acreage property in the hinterland, and that will keep us
busy when we are not Grey No Mading.

Cheers
Daza

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ianw - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:05

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:05
Who in heck is Macca? and what is his claim to fame?
Ian
AnswerID: 300314

Follow Up By: Member - David P (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:08

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:08
Just another Sydney "Personality" who sounds bored to death....silverback
FollowupID: 566479

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:07

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:07
Daza

I don't listen to Macca. His interview style irks me.

Nevertheless...I live in Peterborough SA. Was a grey nomad and got sick of moving all the time. Found very affordable housing on a half acre block here 9 years ago....something I could pay cash for....and stayed. It is asmall town of 2200 people with 4 pubs and a motel, 3 schools and the disytrict supports wheat, sheep and cattle. Weather consists of 3 months extreme cold, 2 months extreme heat and 7 months good temps.

Cheers
AnswerID: 300315

Follow Up By: Louie the fly - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:43

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:43
I knew a couple of guys in Peterborough. Big Marty T was one and the other's name I can't remember. They both worked at the Oodla Wirra roadblock. The other guy was a pom with a bricabrac shop (and a beard).
FollowupID: 566560

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 13:08

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 13:08
Probably moved on, Louie. Bric a Brac shop closed down before I came here but others shops have opened. Can hardly get parking in the Main Street these days its so busy.
FollowupID: 566573

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:29

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:29
To answer your first question NOT this ugly bugger.

Now, the history.

This bloke has been doing that Sunday morning programme for well over 15 years.

It was originally only on ABC Rural radio but became so popular people were actually getting up at Sparrow's Fart on a Sunday Morning and driving to the boonies with their Thermos to listen to him.

I'm not one. He seems to be a genuinely decent bloke but the content of the show bores me. Hence, I don't tune in.

The man is an institution. His followers are many. He could well make a lot more on commercial radio, but has chosen not to. He is therefore a man of integrity

Many obviously enjoy his show.

We all have different tastes.

Jim.

AnswerID: 300320

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:50

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 21:50
Jim,
I remember listening to Macca in 1985 when I was out at Longreach.

Also used to enjoy listening to Alistair Cooke's "Voice from America"

All on Auntie ABC of course.
FollowupID: 566488

Follow Up By: obee - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 18:49

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 18:49
Alistair was good. Best not to say what I think of the other.
FollowupID: 566781

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 22:19

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 22:19
I do

I first 'discovered' Macca one sunday morning while driving through the bluemountains when I first arrived in Sydney on 2000.

I have actually gone to many of the places either he or his listeners have talked about during the show.

I reckon he is ok
AnswerID: 300327

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 22:51

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 22:51
I gave up listening to him when I realised that he didn't show due respect to the people who took the time to phone him.

He greets them and starts to talk...then he'll ask a question about something that the bloke had already told him.....

Typical example:

"G'day Macca, it's Fred here, calling you from Oodnadatta...blah blah" for a couple of minutes..... Then Macca says.... "That's great Ross, and where are you calling from?"

He dithers too much when trying to talk about things that he isn't prepared/ready to talk about.

Anyway, I live where I live because my employer tells me where I have to go. The places I've lived (courtesy of my employer) are:

Narrandera NSW (home town)
Glen Innes NSW
Rabaul, PNG
Canberra
Mount Hagen, PNG
back to Canberra
Kundiawa, PNG
back to Canberra
Batemans Bay, NSW
Cooma NSW
Yass NSW
Kadina SA (which will be my final resting place if I have any say in the matter)...... ;-))
FollowupID: 566500

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:08

Thursday, Apr 24, 2008 at 23:08
Used to listen to Macca but when he signalled he just liked to listen to his own voice rather than listen to others I switched my listening elsewhere. That was about 12 years ago I reckon.

Why I live where I live, because that is where the heart is, the wife is, the farm is and the view out the office window over the farm.
AnswerID: 300332

Reply By: dedabato (SA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 00:16

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 00:16
I'm not that OLD to enjoy his boring talk.....( Macca )
I live in Adelaide SA and - I don't know why ????? ( Swimbo said - Why not -- ) Kids don't care and dog love's it.....
Regards and safe travels to all .....

"He who limps, is still walking"

AnswerID: 300342

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:05

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:05
G'Day to All,
Maccas is Ok - If I'm near a radio on Suday I listen in. Despite his deficiencies (and who hasn't got a weakness of some sort) I've learnt a lot about Australia and its peoples by his interviews. His show is certainly more informative than most of the crap and junk music you get on radio these days.

Anyway we chose to live 40km north of Brisbane (in what was Caboolture Shire until the recent amalgamation). I reckon this area is hard to beat as a place to live. We have a new home with IGP on 4500 sq metres allowing plenty of room to park all our vehicles and caravans etc off the road. Plus room for a big shed (every bloke needs a BIG shed). We are easy drive to the sites of the great South East (good name for a TV show). e.g. only 30 mins to Bribie Island or a little more to Sunshine Coast beaches. Good fishing spots in Pumistone Passage, Moreton Bay and so on. Nearest boat ramp only a few Ks away at Dohles Rocks. Only a short drive to Forestry tracks, Mountains, creeks, Sunshine Coast hinterland etc. Only 2 km to north coast rail line if we want to go to City by electric train for anything (45 mins). Can use IGP for about 8 months of year - more if I got around to put in Solar heating. Gets a bit hot and humid for a few months of the year but who cares with AC available.
I was in public service and when my area was restructured I opted for early retirement when I was in mid 40's. (I hated working for other people). Now I can do as I please (within reason). Buy old house and renovate for a profit etc. My current passion is trading shares on ASX (any other forumites do that to fund their 4x4 passion?).
Cheers
AnswerID: 300355

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:24

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:24
He is pretty Sydney centric, supposedly did an economics degree but can't get his head around basic economics. Funny, you mention about his information as it is basicly opinions. If the radio is on I may hear a bit but I don't listen to him like I did once. Guess we all go through stages.
FollowupID: 566535

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:59

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 08:59
I enjoy Maccas breakfasts...when travelling anyway. Can't abide media "personalities", I've worked with too many of them. But as someone posted, we're all different.
I was once told that home is where a man is prepared to die.
We live in the Currumbin Valley on the Gold Coast. Why?
Where else would I live...?
AnswerID: 300378

Reply By: Louie the fly - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:40

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:40
We organised with a cricket mate who works in Moomba to us to ring Macca the following week for 9.30 smoko to let him know if we won or not (as he was away for week 2). I rang the show at 9am Adelaide time and was told by the lady on the switch that the show had finished. Pre-recorded?

Anyway, Woodside, SA. Lovely place with more antique (read JUNK) shops per capita than anywhere else in SA i reckon.
AnswerID: 300401

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:05

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:05
I listen to Macca...he can be annoying but I enjoy listening to people from all over Australia and their stories. Every now and then there is something interesting and even if it's just background noise when we're travelling ,we turn Macca on...it's just part of our Sunday morning.

Where I live and why. I live in the Mallee of Victoria and my home town is Beulah (population 200 approx). The Mallee is where my heart is. It's dry and dusty now but when the rains come it blooms. It can be heartbreaking country when the crops fail but we all battle on. My parents were born here and my Dad still lives here. There's something special about feeling the ties of the past generations connecting you to your place, your history. It gives a sense of belonging. No matter where I travel, Beulah will always be my home.

Viv
AnswerID: 300404

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:57

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:57
Hi - I don't know Macca's program either but I am interested in your thread. And it's a good idea to see people share this info.

Also - hope you don't mind this little tangent in your post, but I have been wondering if anyone in WA has ever listened to the 5.30am program on 6PR of a Sunday morning with Jon Lewis called the Caravan and Camping Show? There is a reason I'm asking which I don't wish to disclose just yet - but interested to know if anyone has heard it, likes it, general comments etc from ExplorOz community would be most interesting.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300411

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:17

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:17
Hi David & Michelle, 5.30am??????????? I'm not a morning person so not me but if I'm awake at any time I will listen in now that I know it exist, sounds like it could be interesting. Will tell hubby as he is a morning person!!!!

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 566593

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:28

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:28
My Hubby and I live in Lesmurdie, a suburb in the hills of Perth, we like it up here as it is on the ourskirts of the Metro area and when we came here over 20 years ago it was classed as semi rural, (thats one reason we we chose Lesmurdie) no traffic lights up here.
We stay here because all our children have settled around Perth and the Eastern/hills suburbs but probably would like to go out a little further, (we are both busshies at heart, I come off of the farm in the SW and Hubby from Geraldton) We are set back off of the road and our place is quite secluded and private.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300433

Reply By: equinox - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:42

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:42
I'm surprised so many people haven't heard of him.

I don't listen to him when I'm home in the city, but will always try tune in on a Sunday morning when I'm away from home and have done since I was 20 years old.

Macca and AFL footy on ABC radio, go hand in hand with outback travelling (when you can pick it up).

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300435

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:42

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:42
Macca is right up their with Ted bull for most boring radio segment listened to him a fair bit because its the only reception available befor the sports and footy.
i live where i live coz of 20 grand more and a relocation package.
Best thing about Perth is the hills. Worst thing is not legally being allowed to visit most of it
AnswerID: 300461

Reply By: Angler - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 20:48

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 20:48
I listened to him twice, second time the same as the first. same old same old.

I live in Townsville and have done for about 40 years now. Worked all over Qld. We love it here, gets a bit windy at times, I've been through a few cyclones, and can rain a bit every now and then.

Winter is just perfect.

Pooley
AnswerID: 300484

Reply By: Bware (Tweed Valley) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:45

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:45
Check out 'The Conversation Hour' with Richard Fidler. It's on at 11am on Nth Coast ABC (NSW) and can be downloaded from the ABC website. Great interviews with Australians who have amazing stories to tell.

Jen and I left Sydney when we got married 10 years ago and have never looked back. Our young kids are being raised in a rural environment and love being outdoors and camping.

Just about anywhere you are in the Tweed Shire you can see Mount Warning and the volcanic rim that surrounds it. Just beautiful.
AnswerID: 300524

Sponsored Links