GU Long Range Fuel Tank

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:28
ThreadID: 56977 Views:2270 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 140 Lt long Range Fuel Tank for my GU for $400. The tank is being sold as he bought a different vehicle.

My main question is that he had petrol in it but hasn't been used for sometime. Being an old petrol tank would it cause a problem being now filled with diesel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:46

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:46
Hi Iceman
Not sure about the Patrols, but in the past when I have purchased a Long Ranger Tank for my previous Pajeros, there has been different models for Petrol and Diesel. Hop onto their web site and it will have a listing and part no for both petrol and diesel. If they are the same for he Patrol, you will gave yourself a cheap long range fuel tank.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300407

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:53

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:53
It will cause no problem

Fitted same tank myself by the way.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300408

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:57

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:57
If it hasnt been used for a while, I'd be checking it for rust inside.
Just give it a really good flush out and check for scale coming out ..
AnswerID: 300412

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:18

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:18
If it came out of a GU then it should fit back into one. They replace the rear tank. As for being petrol check their website or ring them to see if the plumbing is the same as the oiler as most petrol vehicles have the pump in the tank. Give the tank a good rinse out with diesel about 4 ltrs pit marbles in the tank and slosh around as this knocks of any scale that may be present. Not easy to do as the tank is heavy. Alternatively put 20 ltrs into the tank take it for a run over uneven ground and pull the drain plug out to release all or any gunk.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300432

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 20:49

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 20:49
Forgive the slightly off topic reply, but I have had a LR tank on my wish list for quite some time now, but considering the 105 has 145l tanks with approx 1000km range on reasonable roads (less of course when ploughing through sand etc.) I feel there wouldn't be that many times when the extra fuel range would be needed.

I've tried to think about the advantage in fuelling at 'cheaper' (if there is such a thing anymore!!!) locations and bypassing the more expensive places, but my calculations suggest that it would take a VERY long time to cover the cost of the tand just for this purpose.

THe only justification I can think of for needing one is so as to NEVER have to carry any fuel in jerry cans, either in the car, on the roof, or in the camper.

What justifications do others have for these tanks?

I know I want one.....just trying to justify it....?

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 300485

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 00:02

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 00:02
Hi Mark,

My only reason was range. I wanted a thousand km without towing and at least 700 km towing the tinny or camper (in which case the extra fuel to get the tonne of kms can go on the camper or in the tinny.)

The Courier originally had a 75 litre tank and we got caught on the way to Merimbula from Shepparton not realising that Cann River had ceased providing 24hr fuel. We ended up in a motel for the night at $96 (4 years ago) waiting for fuel stops to reopen.

That was way too much for any sort of accommodation in Cann River - and I'm not sure that the price doesn't go up after 2100hrs when the Mobil shuts! - so I put the 120 ltr tank in.

If you want one I'll sell you mine.... and the truck it's in ... I've just replaced it.

Dave
(on OT night shift in the country .... sorry couldn't help that :o) )
FollowupID: 566835

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 03:32

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 03:32
Dave,

Thanks for teh offer on the Courier. I'm sure it would be a great buy, but I might just stick with the Cruiser at the moment....

N/S myself but not OT :-( Just back in from the 8th job..... Coming back to Gippsland is looking better all the time....

LR tanks for me seem a little over the top as the replacement for the 45 litre is 170 - 180 litres depending on brand. That gives me 260 - 270 litres and a potential range of over 2000km...would be great for the CSR, but for anything else, seems a bit silly.

Did you end up buying the 4.2 Patrol? If so you sill have to post up some pics on your profile or webstite when you get the chance...

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 566836

Reply By: wdric - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 22:00

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 22:00
If it is a longranger there should be no problems with scale or rust as they are made from aluminised steel (since last century :)).
A quick look inside through the big hole you would be able to see the condition.
There maybe a small wear mark were the pickup sits on the bottom.

As for the diesel bit.
Any brand should all fit either without any plumbing issues as the factory tanks are the same in both petrol & diesel

As metioned above a quick flush would be the go to get rid of any dust etc & clean out the moths so to speak.
AnswerID: 300499

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:09

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 07:09
Did exactly the same with mine, only problem was I cut the filler pipe a bit short when fitting LR and had a few issues. I cleaned the tank well before fitting and vacuumed the inside as it had been sitting for a while and had scale etc inside. Also got a small magnet and ran it around as it had some small rust patches that I sanded.
Really easy to fit just dont alter sender as it may stick. Mine just stayed on full till it dropped below 90 liters. You only need to know how empty it is anyway.
AnswerID: 300532

Sponsored Links