Cleaning caravan rollout awning

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 14:34
ThreadID: 56981 Views:15703 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I have done a thread search and this topic seems to only cover
canvas. My awning is vinyl and has stains from native trees due to camping in the bush. Normal cleaning products have made no difference and maybe someone could suggest something else I could try without damaging the vinyl?

Thanks in anticipation.

June
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 14:49

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 14:49
Howdy June, Have a look at thread 54080 it might be of help. We use CT 18 Superwash ( truck wash ) & it cleans our vinyl awning up, although not sure about staining of the type you mention.
AnswerID: 300429

Reply By: Steve Ellis - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:01

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:01
Gday Phil There is a special product available to clean them through canvas & caravan dealers. Dont know what it costs or how effective it is. Good Luck
AnswerID: 300430

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:04

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 15:04
As Barry has said, we also use CT18 truck wash and the trick is to let it dry on the awning then wash off. Read the instructions carefully as that is what the instructions say. We have been using this product on our 4wd, car and caravan for years without any ill effects. However it will not get sap residue off ie the lumpy bits these can be removed by having the vinyl loose and manipulating the spot with the fingers. This usually takes 2 people to do it easily.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300431

Reply By: donk - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 16:35

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 16:35
Our awning had sap stains & mould on it & i tried lots of products inclusing a specific awning cleaning liquid & nothing would clean the awning

I read on a forum about a thing called a Chux Magic Eraser Hard Surface Cleaner (it is available in supermarkets & looks like a sponge) with water & i tried it & it is amazing & the awning looks virtually brand new now with very little effort

If you read the packaging it says it is chemical & detergent free & i assume it removes the marks with a abrasive action but it feels very fine & doesn't appear to have damaged the awning at all

I also used it to remove marks (sap) off our vehicle that i could not get off with anything else but the instructions say not to use it on automotive paintwork because it will leave scratches (ours is white & there is no noticable scratching)

The sponge is blue & white & the white side disintegrates as you use it with water & it took about 6 sponges to clean the awning inside & out on our 23 foot van

This product is not designed to clean awnings (use at your own risk) but it does amazing job

Regards Don
AnswerID: 300439

Sponsored Links