Camping at Kings Canyon NT

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:14
ThreadID: 56985 Views:4452 Replies:13 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a trip to Central Oz in July. Would appreciate views of camping at Kings Creek Station verse Kings Canyon Resort. We will be towing a camper trailer and do not like camping on top of others. Many thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:38

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:38
Hi Tony
I can highly recommend Kings Creek Station. We will be going there again in June. You are not all placed together, with lots of small area throughout the park. Most of the sections have camp fire pits, so you can still enjoy your camp fire, but make sure you collect wood before you get there (you will have no problem along the way, lots of dead timber)

Make sure you stay at least 2 nights, that way you can do the Kings Canyon walk.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300446

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:50

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:50
I agree with your comments. We stayed there about eighteen months ago & liked it. Nothing like a spot where you can have a camp fire.
I also managed to get my wife to have a go on riding one of the camels which provided some good entertainment for our group.
FollowupID: 566609

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:38

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 17:38
Kings creek station is a great spot.

Good access to the attractions as well.

We stayed there because it was considerably less expensive than Kings Canyon resort.

AnswerID: 300447

Reply By: Member - John G- Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:19

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:19
G'day Tony

Ditto and ditto for Kings Creek Station.

We were there last year. We actually got set up, then drove only about 1-2km back in the Uluru direction, turned right onto a bush track, and collected firewood in off the road.

Can also recommend the evening presentation that they do on the history of the station.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 300454

Reply By: Member - "The Doctor" (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:24

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:24
Kings Creek Station is definitely the pick.

Plenty of room, considerably cheaper than the resort.

Mind you, it was Nov 03 last time I was there, Im pretty sure not much has changed. Hopefully for your sake those camels that occupied the front entrance as you enter are gone. You sure know it when a camel sneezes on you. Kept the kids amuzed for days though.
AnswerID: 300455

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:44

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:44
Thanks guys for the responses so far. No votes yet for Kings Canyon Resort - not surprising. Always great to be able to have an open fire while camping. Rgds Tony
AnswerID: 300463

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:56

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 18:56
I'll be staying at Kings Ck Station in July, great to see so many positive responses.
AnswerID: 300466

Reply By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 21:23

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 21:23
Another vote for Kings creek station. Kids had a blast ther with a treat being the camel ride and chopper ride...and ice creams from the shop....that was the older parent / kids...the real kids loved that too plus the fat dog they have a sign up saying "dont fee me!"

We were put right at the back which was great and even though there was heaps (in my mind) camping there - we were no where anyone, and they werent near anyone!

have fun!
AnswerID: 300493

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 22:48

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 22:48
I stayed at the resort, collected firewood before I got there and had a great time. It was probably more expensive but there was plenty of room. The camp fire was good. I've not stayed at King's Creek but wouldn't knock it either.
AnswerID: 300509

Reply By: redfive - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:05

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:05
Hi Tony

I think it better then Ayers Rock ive stopped there a couple of times and the wood thing it easy theres heaps on the side of the road

Glenn
AnswerID: 300564

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:37

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:37
Stayed at the KK resort in 06 and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone although the Dingo's enjoyed the place. Wife was so pee'd off she wrote them a sh1tty letter. Powered tent site saw us almost inside the dunnies (4ft from the womens dunny door), and couldn't park the car in a safe place. Ended up going non powered and this was better. If you're part of a bus tour then you're well catered for. Only good thing was the pub. Camper trailer area was better catered for. Fire place was in a fire ring well divorced from the much of the camping area. May of changed now.
Same mob that run Yalara caravan Pk & El Q run KK Resort.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 300571

Reply By: Member - Jon W (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 20:36

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 20:36
Tony,
Stayed there in '06. Powered sites were very regimented, small and had no grass.
If you like some space, King's Creek will suit you better. We stayed there in '87 when it was quite basic but had plenty of room.
Jon W
AnswerID: 300662

Reply By: HGMonaro - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:14

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:14
Stayed at KK resort last year and we thought it was fine. $27 for 2A & 2K unpowered. We chose to stay there are we were going around the Merrenie Loop and driving back and forth to the other one would have soaked up any difference in fees, not to mention time.

Nige.
AnswerID: 300668

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:30

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:30
Tony,

With everyone obviously camping at Kings Creek Station this year there will be heaps of room to camp at the Resort it would seem.

Other plusses for the resort are that both its two swimming pools are far better than the single bare concrete pool at the Station. There is a proper restaurant at the Resort - Carmicheals Restaurant. There is a bar at the Resort, with pool table juke box etc and plenty of inside and exterior seating. The station has a couple of tables with chairs outside and a few more inside, but they like you to drink where you are camped.

The Resort is also closer to the Canyon and the views from the camping area are awsome, you may be lucky at the station to catch a glimpse of the George Gill Range but more than likely you will be looking at trees.

Both places have helicopter joyrides but only the station has camels (and quad bikes). There is a nursing post at the resort, there is not at the station. The resort has some entertainment at various times. Ian Conway (station) has his outback show, which is entertaining, but the historical accuaracy is questionable (overseas tourists will believe anything)

There is an illegal camping site west of the station just north of the road at Stokes Creek. There is also an illegal camping site at the lookout (Gintys) west of the resort.

Have a good time.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300671

Sponsored Links