Hyden-Norseman Road? Reports please.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 22:39
ThreadID: 56995 Views:1998 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone give update report on the Hyden to Norseman Rd.
Son has to go that way to get to a job,driving a 3L navara.
Thanks for all replies

Disco.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:22

Friday, Apr 25, 2008 at 23:22
It is a good wide gravel road as it is maintained for road trains from the mines, so the only time it may be difficult is if there have been recent very heavy rains in the area. If when the time comes there is any doubt, ring Main Roads in Perth.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 300513

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:07

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:07
All WA dirt roads i have ever seen are virtual highways. if it is hit by rain they can become like grease and alot of common sense is needed depending of wheather it is constructed from clay or granitic sand - a navara should eat it for breakfast
AnswerID: 300518

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:21

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 16:21
As usual, i totally agree with you Davoe. We have even been through the Norseman - Lake King Road, which is narrower and not as well maintained as the Hyden Road, in the pouring rain after 24 hour deluge. Got through the puddles and mud OK - just had to travel a bit slower. The caravan had come so clean drviing through heavy rain from Balladonia to Norseman, but when we stopped that night it was coated in mud -

Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 566726

Reply By: Member - Lewis K (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:49

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:49
I drove that road from Norsman to Hyden some 20 years ago in my good old trusty work provided Falcon Station wagon. If I could get that thru then I am sure that you can get a Navara thru now.
AnswerID: 300549

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:26

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:26
A cruiser towing a standard road van flew past us a few weekends ago while at the Holland Track /Hyden Rd so he must of come the whole way from Norseman. Guess the way he was travelling that the road was a doddle.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 300568

Reply By: Member - John L (WA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:02

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:02
Went as far as Breakaways less than 2 weeks ago - great road - just look out for roadtrains carting nickel from mine midway across. Then went up Victoria Rocks Rd to Coolgardie & back down Caves Hill Rd & out at Widgemooltha - never saw another vehicle after the Breakaways. Over 60 varieties of gum trees - all looking fabulous as in Autumn finery & washed clean by the rain. Stop at each singposted 'point of interest', have a read & a walk. I come from that area & still learnt something new - there is a 'nickel gum' that only grows where nickel is found. Pity there isn't a 'gold gum'. Cheers Heather
AnswerID: 300637

Sponsored Links