CSR with Trailer follow-up

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:11
ThreadID: 57000 Views:2338 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We had plenty of people here asking to do the Canning with Trailer or not. I have never seen a follow up how the trip went with Trailer. I'm one of the people who think towing a Trailer on the Canning is just mad . I'm just wondering how they all went.
cheers
Reiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:40

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:40
Reiner

In the beginning I was very much against trailers in deserts etc. I came across some blokes having a real hard time with trailers on the CSR in 1994 and gave them a serve and things nearly turned nasty. Have learned to shut me mouth now....lol

It is now years later, I have a trailer too and have crossed the Simpson east west, driven cross country in the Simpson and Gibson, Great Victoria and Great Sandy Deserts, and have done some of the CSR towing my trailer.

In desert areas and in soft sand I run my crossply skinny tyres at 15psi on the GQ and 10psi on the trailer. I have been stopped by a dune on a few occasions and after two or three goes and a couple of reverse downs with no result I have driven along the base of the dune to find an easier way over. I find that low range 2nd or 3rd does well for dunes with a 750kg trailer on the back. Just keep the speed constant and don't rush the dune.

On the CSR south of Well 23 the sand can be very soft especially in the middle of the day when the sand is at its hottest. Beyond Well 35 to the north there are a few 17 metre dunes which may take some careful negotiating if necessary. It just depends on what the track is like.If it is chopped out and you are having troubles getting over you might have to look for another way.

At the start of the Madigan Line last year I bogged the rig down to the sidesteps in very soft sand. I dropped the tyre pressures to 10 on the GQ and 7 on the trailer and clawed my way out very gently.

Don't be afarid to try any manner of gear or tyre pressure combinations.

Enjoy

Cheers
AnswerID: 300547

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:17

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:17
Willem,
How far along the Madigan line did you get with the trailer? I gather you came back the way you went in.
Its one place I'd never take a trailer. The only guy I know who has burnt out the torque converter and had to pull out.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 566696

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 14:49

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 14:49
look out for me with mine... departing Perth 17th May
AnswerID: 300589

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 15:50

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 15:50
I passed a bloke in a petrol Prado on the CSR last year towingKimberley Karavan. At nearly 2 tonnes he had had some difficuty in crossing some of the dunes and was thankful had a petrol unit. He reckoned he would have had more bother if he'd had been towing with a diesel. It was a big unit to be putting down the CSR. I saw him at Durba and he was heading south. Presumed he got on OK.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300603

Sponsored Links