Prado

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 11:19
ThreadID: 57005 Views:1746 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experience with later model Prado petrol manual as far as towing goes ie., economy etc.?The new diesel looks the goods however is bloody expensive and I wonder with the price of diesel is there much to be gained?Your thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Richo (SA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 14:21

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 14:21
Check out pradopoint.com - heaps of good info there
AnswerID: 300581

Reply By: Member - Matt H (SA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:34

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:34
Hi gmac,
Unfortunately the old adage prevails - you get what you pay for!
I have 2 Turbo Diesels in my camp at the moment (a 2003 & 2006 model), and wouldn't trade them for quids. My brother in law has the petrol version, and though he hasn't said anything bad about it's petrol comsumption, but in his case the Prado is more for "appearance" sake.
I'm averaging 10.5 L/100km around town in the manual (over the last 15,000 km). I'm about about to head off on holiday in the wife's T/D Auto, so I'll let you know the results in a couple of weeks.
I have towed a 800kg camper with mine - fully loaded from Wagga to Adelaide and averaged 13L/100km - and I was driving more agressively than I usually do. In summer, with Air-Con full blast.
When looking to buy a diesel Prado, I found there to be very few around, and they commanded top dollar. The petrol versions were a dime a dozen at the time. With petrol being so expensive, people are trying to flog off their thirsty petrol ones at cheap prices.
Depending on what your going to use it for, PLEASE dont look past the diesel - you wont be disappointed! Re-sale value will be far higher also.

Cheers, Matt
AnswerID: 300673

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (SA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:20

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:20
gmac
Like Matt said above, any serious person would not look past diesel. Sure the petrol may have more grunt, but in the real stuff, a diesel is the only way to go.

It all comes down to what you want. All the best with your decision.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 300686

Sponsored Links