Melb Caravan & Camping Show

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 17:10
ThreadID: 57014 Views:2405 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Went along yesterday (Friday) - I even got a discount with my recently acquired Seniors Card - not a bad show - there were dozens of caravans - and an abundance of camper trailers - some good - some not so good - if you are going to present something to the public like this - manufacturers should ensure that they present the best possible product they can - with the best finish - some of the welding on some of the trailers was pretty shoddy - covered up by galvanising at times.
We have had our Dingo camper for nearly 9 years, and it has been some pretty amazing places - never let us down - it is not galvanised, it has been in salt water, fresh water and on the beach - we make sure we wash it when we come off the sand and sea places - there is not one speck of rust on it - my husband is a boilermaker - so he knows the places to look for rust.
Galvanising is good - but not really necessary, unless you live on the beach perhaps. From what I saw yesterday, I believe some of the manufacturers are using galvanising as a cover up for some shoddy workmanship. Don't be fooled by this.

We are looking to upgrade, and had a really good look at the Pioneer (Argyle I think), and we were pretty impressed by just about all of it. We think this is the one we will go for, maybe later this year. Or maybe a Kimberley - thought they are a little dearer - what experience has anyone had with either of these brands.
jules
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul Mac (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:39

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:39
Hi Julie,

I looked at C/T's for about 4 years researching mostly hard floor campers.

The Kimberley is well made and has heaps of features but your right about being pricey. The main problem I found with the Kimberley was its weight. Far too heavy.

I came down to 2 different campers and I ordered the Pioneer 'Onyx' C/T last October.

Took delivery at the end of February this year and have been out on one trip so far. The thing that pleased me was its weight. I know you can get lighter campers but at a dry weight of 870kg I was happy to go with the Pioneer. As you can see in my profile pic I went with the maroon canvas and had the winch option put on. This makes it much easier to put up or down effortlessly.

Also had an alko power wheel fitted which aides the manoeuvrability of the camper when hitching or moving around in my steep driveway.

Kitchen set up is IMO better than the Kimberley and I had the pantry option installed also.

I don't think you will be disappointed if you went with the Pioneer but if your looking for something slightly bigger than the argyle go for the Onyx. Queen size bed is a tad more comfortable and roomy.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 300646

Reply By: Curlynan - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 16:34

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 16:34
We went to the show. Looked inside many of the vans on display. Have to say that the new designs are very disappointing. I reckon the outlays have been designed by people for people who have never lived or holidayed for extended periods of time in a van, Also hubby is 6'1" and was constantly hitting his head on air cons, light fittings and door. We travelled and lived in vans for a few years and that never use to happen. Have they lowered the roof line on vans these days.
Went to the talk on Cape York, found that quite good. We did that trip last year. He was very informative.
Most of our trips these days are done in a tent and 4x4, wasn't all that many tents on display. Also we needed to buy some new poles for out dome inner tent, didn't see any so will need to visit Ray's TC or similar.
Last visit to the Caravan and Camping show for us for a few years.
AnswerID: 300775

Reply By: Macleod - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:10

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:10
Hi Julie,

We bought our Pioneer Argyle from the show last year - it's been away about once a month since - even up to SW Qld & corner country. An absolsute dream to tow over the rough stuff.

In my opinion, I think the under bed storage is better than some of the other hard floors. A lot of them have drawer systems and other gadgets under there. The Pioneer doesn't so that allows me to cram all sorts of things in all the nooks & crannies. The front box is also very deceptively roomy and holds heaps of stuff. It's easy to set up & pack up and I love the kitchen - I also agree it's a better set up than others but I didn't get the pantry (I carry boxes under the bed).

I think for the price, it's good value and the service provided by the dealer here in Melbourne & the Perth guys has been great (tho the only issue we've had is a problem with the draft skirt).

Good luck with your choice.

AnswerID: 300913

Sponsored Links