Some opinions please

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 19:58
ThreadID: 57018 Views:3156 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am looking at possibly updating and have been a extremely contented Pajero owner for some years now. I have a V6 3.0 94 GLS with plenty of extras that I use mainly for fishing and camping trips aroung Tasmania. I mainly tow a 13ft tinny but have done a bit of caravanning or use to anyway. I used to own a 12 ft van till it was given a new home by some unscrupulous jerk. You would think it would be difficult for something like that to just disappear and never be seen again but it happened.
Anyway the war office and I are looking at touring Australia in the next 5-6 years when I retire. I have been reading all sorts of things on the forum, some even intuitive, and have decided that a diesel 4WD is definitely the way to go. I would eventually be towing a Belco boat camper as I want to take my well modified tinny as well. I will be talking to Belco soon about a special design I am after. Anyway enough rambling, I am looking at the following unit or similar but want some honest and constructive advice please?

Mitsubishi Pajero NM GLS, 2003, 4 wheeldrive wagon, 3.2LT diesel, 5 speed man, 133200kms, very good tyres, rego 02/2009, extras include, ARB suspension, duel battery, tinted windows, electric brake wiring, alloy bull-bar, burglar alarm, towbar, driving lights, heavy duty 12Volt Anderson outlet, 1 owner, exc cond, $28750.

Are these cars/trucks/etc a good buy and would it be a good vehicle to tour in towing the boat camper trailer. I would not be climbing dunes or any heavily radical 4WD stuff but will be travelling some of the central roads.

Thanks for your assistance,

Nev

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: macbushy - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 20:15

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 20:15
You seem to hooked on a PAJ.
Have you considered (in that price range) a 80 series Lancruiser multivalve diesel turbo? You mentioned touring in 5-6 yrs time. will the Paj be up to it then? L/C multi valve will be.
AnswerID: 300654

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 03:38

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 03:38
Would be if you could find one...........they are like hen's teeth and when you do find one.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a vehicle that will have done up to and over 200k km.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 566837

Reply By: madfisher - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:05

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:05
From what I have heard they are a good vehicle. I would not be paying that much for one with that many ks. Their has to be lower ks o3s around. Wife has a 93 nh that is only just run in with 89000ks. lol
If you are not in a hurry one with less than 100000ks will turn up
Goodluck Pete
AnswerID: 300666

Reply By: Member - Jason - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:55

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:55
Hi Nev,
My father-in-law has the 2002 paj (t/d gls). He swears by it. He tows a 22 foot van with no problems.
I have a 2002 Discovery (commom rail t/d). I don't get people that bag them, they are great value (second hand) & go anywhere & don't have any more trouble than any other 4by out there. This is my second one.

Good Luck & happy travels
Cheers
Jason
AnswerID: 300712

Reply By: Itsme - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:16

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:16
Hi Nev

I've got an '05 NP TD auto and am very happy with it. A bit over 80,000km so far. I regularly tow a Jayco CT and it does it with ease. Fantastic fuel economy, average so far 9.6L/100km, about 13 when towing the CT. We've found ours great for the type of driving you've described and have also done our fair share of tougher stuff in it. The biggest drawback is lack of ground clearance in rough or badly rutted country, but the ARB suspension on the one you're looking at will probably help out here. An inch or two extra under the car will make a world of difference and is on the wish list for mine.

From what you've described I'd think a later model Pajero will serve you well.

AnswerID: 300714

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 14:09

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 14:09
Hi Nev.
I have a NP diesel manual.It has raised suspension & air bags.
A great tow vehicle & last July on a trip to the corner country, I averaged 11.07lt per 100km, towing a camper trailer.

Previous comments regarding the rear bumper are spot on. I now carry a supply of silver tape for any repairs.(the bars don't like tree branches!!!).

on't be put off by all the Nissan & Toyota owners, buy the Paj LOL
Regards.
Vince
FollowupID: 566883

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 13:28

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 13:28
A bloke in my 4wd club had one as a company vehicle and thought it was pretty good, until he put it in low range and tried keeping up with Patrols and Cruisers. It just couldn't go where he wanted it to. If you weren't interested in that then I'm sure it would do well. They were designed for the Paris-Dakar and are good in sand.

As someone mentioned above they are pretty low. If there was a way of increasing the ramp over angles and general ground clearance then it would be a good idea. You don't want to rip off one of those fancy plastic bumpers in the middle of the desert, especially if the rear bumper houses the taillights!

Barnesy
AnswerID: 300747

Sponsored Links