Idea for trailer / van theft protection. Could i get away with it?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:28
ThreadID: 57023 Views:3028 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
For quite awhile i've been toying with an idea for trailer / van theft protection.
I keep thinking how unsafe my trailer and camper are, where they have to be parked.
I know there are those lockable tow ball thingo's you can fit, but...

This based on the assumtion that once the stolen trailer is 30mt down the road, i will never see it again.

Trailer parked on bark chips against a bloody large gum, 20 mts from road. I have 50mt of steel cable in the shed. In 5 min i could have it secured to tree.

What is stronger .... my trailer u bolts /shakles ? or thief's towball /towbar?

I would lmfao if I came home and found my trailer axle , 30 mts down the road, still tied to my tree.

Wonder how insurance company would view it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:37

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:37
Have found that the most effective and simple method is to wrap the safety chain around/over/through the coupling (depending on coupling type) and secure with the largest toughest padlock available. Prevents it being towed away without lots of noise or effort which would deter 98% of the opportunistic unmentionable low-lifes.

The other 2% of dedicated professionals are going to succeed no matter what you do and that is when your paid up insurance policy comes into play. They would be the sort of brazen assholes that turn up in a tray top tow truck with heavy cutting equipment and a cover story about "repossesion" should anyone be game enough to actually question them.

Muddy
AnswerID: 300675

Reply By: macbushy - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:48

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 21:48
I guess theres always the chance that I would forget about the cable also O U C H !!!
AnswerID: 300679

Follow Up By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:56

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 07:56
Funny, kind of done that. I have my Van and tinny in the same open front shed. Went away for the a weekend and chained the two together. A few weeks later decide to get the van out and pulled the tinny off the trailer!
FollowupID: 566841

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:51

Saturday, Apr 26, 2008 at 22:51
Be careful, some insurance companies don't recognise cable or chain & lock, they will only allow retail, purpose built trailer locks, whatever else you use, such as lock & cable, is up to you.
AnswerID: 300690

Reply By: Member - Barnesy - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 13:17

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 13:17
I have a treg hitch and use an extra heavy duty motorcycle lock threaded through the hitch. It is high tensile, strengthened plate steel. It can't be cut with bolt cutters and would take a long time with a hack saw. May be a different story with an angle grinder but who has those out bush?

I also have a high tensile drag chain that i thread through the wheels, wrap around the axle and a-frame and around a tree using a h/duty lockwood padlock.

You have to be determined to steal my trailer.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 300744

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff C (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 15:41

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 15:41
I know several people, including me, who travel with generators and 100mm grinders. I don't use it to steal things but it is incredibly useful.
Some time ago one of my motorbike locks jammed and I had to use a grinder to get it off, went through it like butter. As was said previously nothing will stop a professional. After that experience I just insure everything to the hilt and grin and bear it. Seems to be the only way.
Geoff
FollowupID: 566892

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 19:29

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 19:29
Another option is a piece of flat bar with hole in end with chain links welded to it and axle, slide through hole in wheel and padlock
Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 300807

Reply By: macbushy - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 20:03

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 20:03
Thanks for the ideas,

But i still would like to see results of my cable getting tight @ 50km/hr lol
AnswerID: 300814

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 20:17

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 20:17
Hows it going Macbushy.

I dont know if you have seen that show Mythbusters,

In the one I am thinking about they try to reproduce a scene from a movie where some kids cable the diff of a police car to something solid and get them to chase them thus ripping out the back end of the car.

They had a few goes at it and couldnt get it to work even with large braking stain cable cause the cable kept braking at the attach point , to make it happen they had to cut most of the suspension away.

My bet is on the cable braking .

Glenn.
AnswerID: 300819

Sponsored Links