Camper trailer suspension

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 15:03
ThreadID: 57037 Views:2300 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Just wanted to know if anybody out there could tell me what might be the reason why my CT moves around a bit whilst towing on freeway. My Brother in law followed us home from a trip other day and commented how there is a bit of side to side movement on freeway. I Since have noticed a lot of other trailers around, and a lot seem to be quite steady. I have noticed driving mine, that it does feel a little unsteady, not to the point of unsafe but definately not as steady as i would like. It currently has a 6 leaf spring set up(45mm wide) and i estimate i would be towing approximately 850-900kg.
Initial thoughts are that i need a spring/axle upgrade(Was never 100% with them anyway)
Any feedback would be great
Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 15:31

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 15:31
Check your weight distribution in the trailer, you should have about 10% sitting on the tow bar(Too little can cause fishtailing) Also check your shackles for wear, check your U Bolts for tightness and check your wheel bearings for adjustment.
AnswerID: 300763

Reply By: oz doc - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 17:51

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 17:51
Before you start changing anything- see how the trailer tows when attached to another vehicle. We had a problem with trailer yaw (ute back trailer - not a camper trailer) which we finally chased down to the trailer being too low cf the car. Problem was caused and compounded by changing from light truck tyres on the trailer (which have stronger sidewall and higher profile) to car tyres. Yaw was noticeable at speeds around 80kmh.
AnswerID: 300783

Follow Up By: shell&brett - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:42

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:42
Yeah well I actually had to flip the tow ball around on the navarra because the way it was, the trailer was angling down far to much when attatched.
The change did improve it somewhat, but still angles down a tad.
FollowupID: 566915

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:40

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:40
Thats a common fix, I have a slight downward slope on your trailer.

For highway work, thats fine

10 % ball weight ( maybe a tad more at times ) is the go, but on some off road up-hill's you need a little more planning of angles..and shifting of weights.

Reason is, that some of the tracks I go up with it, the camper will actually try and tilt backwards, thus taking weight off the drive wheels of the Navara..

All about what works best for the situation.

Cheers Bucky,
FollowupID: 566979

Reply By: shell&brett - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:40

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 18:40
will check all those things.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 300796

Reply By: Biglinz - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 22:14

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 22:14
Drawing a long straw, but it could be a mis-alignment problem. Trailer manafacturers don't exactly conform to exacting measurements. Maybe the spring hangers on one side were not welded on in exactly the same place as the other side, so it could be tracking incorrectly.
AnswerID: 300847

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:50

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:50
Shell & Brett

Our Track Shak does that from time to time, and its a reflection of ball weight ( 10 % total ) tyre pressures, shockers, and driving habits, and your camper trailer geometry.

I believe shorter draw-bars will do this too, but I am not too sure if this is actually the case, or not. ( others will be able to help there )

Can be a bit like a dog chasing its tail, eventually it will happen.

I have a tendency to put heavier articles between the wheels, and lighter at the back.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 300899

Sponsored Links