looking for people to travel the Simpson Desert

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 17:30
ThreadID: 57042 Views:1825 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey

Im planning to cross the simpson desert in mid may and would love to have someone (or more) to do it with.

I'm from the UK and have spent the last year and half touring Oz, i have a 60 series and all the extra equipment needed and enough experience to make the crossing but dont want to do it as a single vehicle...

if anyone is interested email me: orangesquash@mac.com and we can hopefully figure it out. also planning on doing the oodnadata track and parts from adealide to alice to finish off my trip around the country...

cheers
Rich

orangesquash@mac.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 22:52

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 22:52
Don't be discouraged if you can not find someone here, If you arer prepared to wait a coupla days at whatever side you are coming from, chances are you wont be alone anyway.
Shane
AnswerID: 300851

Reply By: Member - Matt & Julie (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:29

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:29
Hi Rich
We did it on our own August last year and we are planing to do it again next year we past quite a few vehicles on the way and only one going our way if you travel near to the Birdsville races you will see a lot travelling from Mt Dare
Have a safe one
Cheers

Matt & Julie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 300858

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 13:40

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 13:40
Leading up to the day of the Birdsville races most traffic across the Simpson travels west to east. Just before the date that the races were supposed to be held on last year we travelled Birdsville to Mt Dare. Before we left Birdsville we dropped in at the park headquarters and found that as most people were travelling west to east there was a heap of spare hire sat phones at Birdsville and a shortage at Mt Dare. The office minder at the Birdsville park headquarters asked us if we could ferry 6 sat phones to Mt Dare which we were glad to do. I wonder how many people have had the luxury of having 6 sat phones on board as they crossed the Simpson ? Don't know if they would have been any use though as they were on the Globestar system :-)

Rich, There are people crossing the Simpson every day during the 'season' You will not have to wait long and someone will turn up heading out across the dunes. I asked someone at the entrance to the canpground if they were heading out and then asked if they wanted to travel within radio range of us and sight each other a couple of times each day as we were travelling the same route - no problems. We also met at least 6 other vehicles each day.

AnswerID: 300935

Follow Up By: rich maskey - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 17:58

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 17:58
awesome cheers for the info.

exaclty when is the 'season' - we're planning our crossing in the netx couple of weeks.

Cheers
Rich
FollowupID: 567783

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:08

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:08
Rich, the 'season' is any time it's not too hot :-))

Probably mainly from May till end of September. Ruth could tell you when the peak of the travel season is.
FollowupID: 567785

Sponsored Links