Waterproofing canvas

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:00
ThreadID: 57057 Views:14671 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
mmmm well teh swag is soaked and drying in the shed, I have been googling various wax based waterproofing and found that some said simply, "Spray it with goop from Selleys"

I dont want a waxy swag but I do want on that keeps the water out esp when I am in.

What have others tried and succeeded with when waterproofing. I am going to have to do the whole thing top and bottom and the sides.

Thanx for your help
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: neil&brenda - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:31

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:31
Bonz, No easy solution. However you can try spraying with an aqua proof aerosol (kmart) or similar. You can also get wax sticks from aussie disposals or rays outdoors that will do the stitching on the seams. Other than that the easiest solution is to get a fly!!
AnswerID: 300859

Reply By: autosparky - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:35

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:35
try and use the stuff they use on drizabones
AnswerID: 300861

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:41

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:41
He said he did not want waxy ~(8--)
FollowupID: 566954

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:49

Sunday, Apr 27, 2008 at 23:49
The easy thing i find is to give the ol swag a break when its bleep down, lay a cheap silver tarp (just oversize) over it,Even peg it down if windy,If its only sprinkling rain i don't bother.

ALSO If you have a hooped swag just use an expendable pole (aluminium) between each end and you don't need any rope or pegs,even drag it where you want too

Works for me

Cheers
AnswerID: 300866

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:22

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:22
Go to a Feed Barn, or place that deals with horses, and get some of that horse blanket waterproofing.

Called,,,,,, Equinade Rug Seal,,

Did my swag, with it and did a double lot on the stitches.
Never look like getting wet.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 300889

Reply By: obee - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:02

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:02
Garden plastic from the hardware. Cheap and folds up easy. Water shakes off. Easy to brush the sand off. Throw it away when finished. Use it to stand on when you wash. Mulch the garden with it. Must be a few other uses.

Oh, I mean use it with the swag not instead ofl

Owen
AnswerID: 300910

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:49

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:49
Bonz,

Are you indicating that the swag is soaked inside?
Very surprising indeed if that is the case.

We have slept in our swags, out in the open in an absolute downpour, with no water entry inside.

Quality canvas should be waterproof and will not leak.

On some products the seams may leak a bit, but the canvas fibres should expand when wet and self seal. That is what canvas should do well.

Remember the old canvas water bags that used to be hung on the front of cars? They would initially leak a little when dry, but quickly seal when wet and contain the water inside.

I think it gets down to "real" canvas shouldn't leak unless contaminated by foreign matter, such as tree gum, or bird poop.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 300917

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:11

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:11
G'day Sandman,

Your response made me reread the original post and Bonz did not mention that the swag was actually rained on just that it was wet!

I was wondering if he didn't quite complete the sentence - "when I'm in etc" - he may heve meant incontinent?

Kind regards

FollowupID: 567005

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:08

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:08
He! he!

Good one Beatit.

However, he did mention it was soaked, so he must have a BIG bladder if your deduction is correct.
Bill

FollowupID: 567015

Reply By: BorisK - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:31

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:31
Bonz, I have a full 2litre and 1 half tin of Joseph Lyddy dry-seal here in Geelong if youre interested. Left over from sealing my Family Tourer canvas tent. You can have one of them dirt cheap.
Cheers Boris
AnswerID: 300919

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:33

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:33
G'day Bonz,

We had a similar drama on the weekend too.

SWMBO and our eldest lad were sleepingin their swags, in the Ultimate's under-lid tent. (Annette always sleeps in a swag as our no.2 son, Jarrod, has some issue that sees him screaming blue murder in the middle of the night if he's in a swag.....)

Anyway, the tent got water inside (as usual) and then the swags both had water in them as well. Fortunately it wasn't enough to get up through the mattresses....so they didn't feel wet.

Both the tent and the swags have vynal bases and are stitched to the canvas at ground level. Herein lies the problem I reckon....the vynal should, ideally, be shaped such that it forms a shallow "bath", so that the seams are up off the floor/ground level by about 50mm.

So, like you, I am trying to sort out a way of water-proofing the swags AND the tent......

Roachie
AnswerID: 300920

Follow Up By: BorisK - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:53

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:53
Roachie, I wonder if a hot glue gun would help you?
Boris
FollowupID: 567012

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:14

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:14
Hmm,

Our swags don't even have vinyl bottoms, just the canvas.
I still think it gets down to the quality of the product.

Ours are "Down Under" swags made in Adelaide and I have had no issue with them at all.

Don't use them as much now as we have the Camper, but are still a "priceless" camping item.

Bill.
Bill

FollowupID: 567016

Reply By: Dasher Des - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:47

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:47
G'day Mr Bonzarelli, Easiest and safest solution for you would be to get either John R or Lucy to do it for you. That way no accidents.
Speak to any of the canvas sales outlets and ask what they recommend. Biggest problem that you have at the moment is the weather. It really is best to do in warmer weather as the gear soaks into the canvas when its warm. I did the shippshape in August with a wax based product that only wanted to sit on the surface until the weather warmed up a fair bit. Now no problems.
AnswerID: 300922

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 14:07

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 14:07
DD, he actually parked it under the edge of the Karavan where it caught all the water coming off the side, hence a downpour. I guess you could say the positioning was accidental.
FollowupID: 567026

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 14:13

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 14:13
Bonz, the reason we took the lightweight annex last weekend was the forecast of rain. One of the hints with our Karavan annex was to have it erected and make sure it was thoroughly wetted and completely dried out on four occasions.

To thoroughly wet it, was to have a sprinkler over it for an hour at a time. Just as well we don't have water restrictions here, but hard to say it has been done properly yet. No water restrictions there either? Just set up the sprinkler but we had half an inch last night that would have done it.
AnswerID: 300938

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 16:28

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 16:28
Dear Arfur Bonzarrelli

The reason I didn't make an appearance at the Pyrenees was the forcast of rain, hail, storm & tempest.

Would seem that you have experienced at least one of these.

Piff the swag and get a CT - problem all fixed, or do as Roachie has done, buy a 60 series.

FollowupID: 567054

Reply By: The Geriatric Gypsies - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:19

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:19
goodday bonz
i have used spray on silicone on my work boots at times dont know if it would work on canvas but you couild try a small corner

steve
AnswerID: 300986

Sponsored Links