Redclaw at Fairbairn Dam, Emerald Qld

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:27
ThreadID: 57061 Views:12193 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Due to the great amount of rain Emerald had this year and the approach of winter we were wondering if it was worth a detour to Fairbairn Dam to chase redclaw for a few days mid May or do they hibernate during the cooler mths??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:36

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:36
At Fairbairn now having Redclaw for breakfast
AnswerID: 300882

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:22

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:22
What ya using for bait?? Is it true Sunlight soap or Rockmelon skins work??

FollowupID: 566987

Follow Up By: Bill13 - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:19

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 17:19
Bow and Nan,
Are you getting plenty, or do you have to work hard for them??
Do you need a permit to catch redclaw or be in a boat on the dam, if so where do you obtain one?
Bill
FollowupID: 567070

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:39

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:39
Hi Bow & Nan,
We just joined up here for a look and found there's a few other Bushtracker Owners lurking around the site.

How have you guys been since we last chatted at Dumaresq Dam at Armidale??
See you're into the Redclaw....our "TIP" is get a 600ml water bottle and bung a few 10 mm holes in it with your cordless drill and then go to the shop and buy a bag of dog food...not any dog food but Pal Meaty Bites and half fill the water bottle screw the cap back on and chuck it in your opera house trap...We tried all the vegetable peels and soap the like and got nil.....but on the same day got 13 Redclaw in the trap with the Pal Meaty bites....
"Worx4US".

We're currently in Armidale doing the motels here....beautiful time of the year with all the colour on the trees.....We have another 10 days in Armidale and then our next motel job is back in Rockhampton......however we have 6 weeks to get from Armidale to Rocky and we're leaning towards a route due West to Cameron Corner, a bit of Gold Detecting at Tibooburra/Milparinka and then on to Innamincka, Birdsville, Boulia, Mt Isa, Gregory Downs, Adels Grove, Lawn Hill, Burketown, Normanton, Karumba, Undara Lava Tubes, Chilligoe, then South to Charters Towers, Belyando Crossing and Clermont for some Gold Detecting and then on to Rockhampton...that should do it......

Hope to bump into you again.... on the track...
Cheers
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 567384

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 20:24

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 20:24
Rick & Julie
Dog & cat food they tell us will do, but we're not getting any. They say share farming is the problem.
Leaving Fairbairn heading north out of the cold. Who knows where Black Betty will stop next. Maybe we'll see ya along the track ay. We may be along that way to.

Cheers
Greg & Gail
FollowupID: 567461

Reply By: Holden4th - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:10

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:10
I was at Lake Maraboon a couple of weeks ago to do some fishing but I didn't do my homework. I discovered that to get Redclaw you need what are called Opera House traps and that line fishing is not very good at the moment. I don't have a boat and to fish for redclaw you need one. You have to go out in the morning, set your traps, go home and reclaim them much later in the day. The rental hire on the boats was $100 for a day ($50 for 4 hours). I'm not quibbling at that but you'd need to spend a couple of days doing it I guess.

I'd also like some advice on getting redclaw.
AnswerID: 301017

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy Springsure- Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:34

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:34
Hi guys,
there are more in the creeks and rivers at the moment and the life long residents of the area that I work with swear by potato as bait. Set your traps and come back in 4 hours.

The fishing isn't brilliant as we need a couple of frosts to get the shrimp to lay low so the fish will come on the bite.

There has been a lot of baby redclaw seen in most places so maybe in 12 months there will be better prospects.

One of my workmates caught a bucket full in one of the trubutaries on the weekend and they averaged 3 cans long.

Still a lovely 29 degrees here today with a minimum of around 10-12.

Regards
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301027

Sponsored Links