GPS question - OzTopo V2 - how does it navigate

Submitted: Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 18:31
ThreadID: 57083 Views:2874 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
just read that additionally to Garmin City Navigator autorouting, for 4x4 Oztopo would be best.

It is vector based, and therefor can't do autorouting.
I wonder what do we see for navigation advise then?

would it simply be a cursor that shows actual position on the map?
Can I set waypoints that show up on the map, or tracks ?
I use a 60cx

Chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:47

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 19:47
Hi Chris

I find your question a little confusing.

Oz troppo V2 does not have auto routing.

Auto routing can only work on maps specifically set up such that each road includes a number of variables used by the program to give information about a road type direction etc via nodes and other properties.

These propreties also allow a road to be considered as a number of vectors and hence drawn efficently.
This function is independant of auto routing features.

You can certainly set up your waypoints and get the GPS to calculate a direct line of sight distance and bearing
to them and also an estimated time to arrival.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 301031

Follow Up By: Chris@forum - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 20:26

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 20:26
thanks Robin , I am less confused now :o)

FollowupID: 567123

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:30

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 21:30
If you p

It wiill put a straight line across the map from where you are to the waypoint you are going to.

It wont autoroute

AnswerID: 301056

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:29

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 22:29
ooops :-(

So thats what it looks like when your puter crashes half way through a reply :-)

Sorry about that
FollowupID: 567301

Reply By: Member - Pixie - Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:04

Monday, Apr 28, 2008 at 22:04
interesting post there kiwi...

i understand that the map60, 60c, 60csx, 60cx etc. will do routing (hence the "map" name)

from their website "the GPSMAP 60Cx offers a large colour TFT display and turn-by-turn routing capability. "

http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/gpsmap60cx.php

But you need MapSource® and City Navigator Australia software (or similar)

OzToppo V2 on it's own won't do it. City Navigator (see that word there - Navigator) would use the data in OzToppo to navigate with

That's how I understand it anyway
AnswerID: 301070

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:49

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:49
"OzToppo V2 on it's own won't do it. City Navigator (see that
No - read Robin’s post. Oztopo doesn’t have the require word there - Navigator) would use the data in OzToppo to navigate with"
information structure needed for auto-routing - basically it is just an underlying map with a database of POIs. City Navigator is not "software", it is also a map dataset but it does have required info for "auto routing" - it does not interact in any way with OzTopo (or any other map set).

If you go back to original question the answer is simple. The GPS collects the information from the satellites and displays your location on the screen (even if you don’t have any detailed maps loaded). Oztopo is a geo-referenced map displays on the screen using data provided by the GPS so you can see your position relative to everywhere else. Oztopo itself doesn’t “navigate” - your GPS does that.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 567295

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:51
What the..
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 567296

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:53

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 21:53
Sorry try again..

Snip from Pixies's reply...

"City Navigator (see that word there - Navigator) would use the data in OzToppo to navigate with"

No - read Robin’s post. Oztopo doesn’t have the require information structure needed for auto-routing - basically it is just an underlying map with a database of POIs. City Navigator is not "software", it is also a map dataset but it does have required info for "auto routing" - it does not interact in any way with OzTopo (or any other map set).

If you go back to original question the answer is simple. The GPS collects the information from the satellites and displays your location on the screen (even if you don’t have any detailed maps loaded). Oztopo is a geo-referenced map set that underlies this so you can see your position relative to everywhere else. Oztopo itself doesn’t “navigate” - your GPS does that.
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 567297

Follow Up By: Member - Pixie - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 23:15

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 23:15
Ah fair enough then - I got it wrong

I had thought that City Navigator could interact with OzToppo to make use of the data to navigate - but obviously wrong

I am still learning about this also. Alot of the forum discussions around (eg. http://www.gpsaustralia.net/ ) while helpful are still relying on a higher than basic level of knowledge, It's that gap that is hard to fill in.

Sorry for the misleading info

FollowupID: 567306

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 23:56

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 23:56
No worries mate - Probably a few technical inaccuracies in my response as well. This is a discussion forum so great place for venting ideas and thoughts - no big deal if you get it wrong - we all do it (though some have trouble admitting it). Its actually good that a range pf perceptions (wrong or right) are thrown in as it provides fuel for the discussion and allows people to have a think and build on their knowledge.
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 567316

Reply By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 07:28

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 07:28
Just steal this post for some info please....
I have just brought a 760 with the lot, I have also down loaded Shonky Maps and would like to put it on a separate SD card, how do I do it please?

Cheers Bruce
AnswerID: 301252

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:09

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:09
Hi Bruce,
I just posted this info on the BOG...Bushtracker Owners Group Form for another member there, so I just copied it over here for you.

First you will need to have a program called Mapsource installed on your computer. It usually comes with the Garmin CD.

Download the Zip file (330Mb) and then extract the files.... and then, click the "Setup File" in the extracted files folder and let it install them in Program Files like it wants to and when that's done....open Mapsource and then in the drop down box at the top left corner, select one of the 4 shonky maps there and open it in Mapsource.

To get the maps on to your memory card, you need to connect the memory card to your computer and then with your choice of maps open in Mapsource.....zoom right out so you can see all of Australia and Tas (About 700k on the zoom tab) and then click the "Map Tool" on the top tool bar and then click and drag to select all the map grids on all of the map. That done then you click the button to the left of the "Map Tool" button and it is the 'Send to Device" button....when the dialogue box comes up for that, select your memory card and "OK" and then Mapsource will format the maps and upload them to your card so you can pop it into your GPS.

When you do pop it in to your GPS, your preloaded maps held in your GPS internal memory will show as the default maps....you will then have to navigate to where you can "Deselect" the default and select the "Shonky Maps". In my NUVI 310, I had to go to the "Tools" option and go tothe map page and then select "Map Info" where I could see the City Navigator 7 with a check dot next to it and Shonky Maps without a check dot next to it.....just select Shonky after you de-select City Navigator 7 and then away you go......

You can get a good idea of the detail of all the 4 map sets when you view them in Mapsource......I went with Shonky Full Topo.....run that up and it shows you bores and tanks and windmills and repeater towers and airstrips and even fences and tracks to windmill and bores also contours with elevations.....have a look at the detail around a remote region like Cameron Corner and zoom in to see....everything.....and then do the same with City Navigator 7 and be amazed at how little detail there is...

Make sure you have at least 220Mb of space on your memeory card for each set of maps you want to upload to it......Personally Full Topo is all you need.....

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 567359

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:06

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:06
Thanks Rick, well go and give it a go. Yes I have Mapsource, thanks.

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 567372

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:08

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:08
All done thanks Rick.

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 567401

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:35

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:35
Glad to be able to help you out Bruce.....Safe Travelling.

Cheers
Rick
www.nomadznow.com
FollowupID: 567412

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:20

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:20
Hi again Rick, if you get this, It just hit me after reading another thread which you answered to another Bushtracker owner, that you may know Bob and Julie from Nanango. They are friends of ours, just live around the road.

Cheers Bruce
FollowupID: 567427

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 17:50

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 17:50
Yes...back again Bruce....we know a few BT Owners, but not sure about Bob & Julie...we would possibly identify with a screen name on the Bushtracker Owners Group....we're Bushtracker Owners and our screen name is the same as here "Innkeepers"....However, there is over a thousand BT's on the road so....

We're currently in Armidale working the motels here....beautiful time of the year with all the colour on the trees.....We have another 10 days in Armidale and then our next motel job is back in Rockhampton......however we have 6 weeks to get from Armidale to Rocky and we're leaning towards a route due West to Cameron Corner, a bit of Gold Detecting at Tibooburra/Milparinka and then on to Innamincka, Birdsville, Boulia, Mt Isa, Gregory Downs, Adels Grove, Lawn Hill, Burketown, Normanton, Karumba, Undara Lava Tubes, Chilligoe, then South to Belyando Crossing and Clermont for some Gold Detecting and then on to Rockhampton...that should do it......

Also we have 18 days off in Aug-Sept and the Birdsville Races are in the time frame...also the Yabbie Races at Windorah should be fun too.

Cheers
Rick

FollowupID: 567435

Reply By: Chris@forum - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:07

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:07
hey guys
thanks for the explanation !
Yes, its a forum, not a lexicon, good to see different ways of seeing one thing

Chris
AnswerID: 301296

Sponsored Links