OTL. Thoughts and recommendations please!!!

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 09:22
ThreadID: 57107 Views:2528 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I read frequently that in general, the bypass route is boring and can be cut up and corregated.
Many recommend doing the OTL.
However, those who want to go via the bypass route mainly do so because it takes out the difficult parts of the OTL, and probably [like me], are unsure of which parts of the OTL are OK to use without SWMBO getting them in a twist, getting stuck and doing damage to the tow vehicle and camper. So its up and back via the so called easier route.
What part[s] of the OTL would readers recommend be taken that take out the hairy scary stuff, protect the vehicle/trailer and its nervous occupant[s] and generally make it an enjoyable experience?
Thanks

Inland
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:38

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:38
It depends on which part of the season that you're there in.
If it's towards the end of the season, say Sept/Oct, the bottom half from the turnoff to Bramwell should be a piece of cake if you just take it easy.
AnswerID: 301127

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:25

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:25
Sorry about that lack of vital information. The plans are to get up there in early August. Maybe this might help a tad.

Cheers

Inland
AnswerID: 301146

Follow Up By: Inland Sailor - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:18

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 17:18
Time really isn't an issue, its more about what is manageable!!
Any recommended camp sites on the southern sections? That might give me an idea of how much to do in a day!!

Inland
FollowupID: 567250

Reply By: Scorcher - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:48

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 13:48
As Footloose said, the "bottom" section of the OTL is pretty good by about August.

Most of the creeks are down, many of the bogs will have dried up. It's certainly the more scenic route to take, providing you don't have time issues. Just take it slowly and enjoy.

The only area that might concern you is "Gunshot". You can always check it out, and if too boggy or cut up, backtrack a bit and do the short bypass around it.

It's well worth doing the OTL at least once in your life !

As for the "top" section of the OTL up to the Jardine River, way too many years since I did that section, so I won't pass comment other than to say it was pretty tough going in the late 80's & early 90's !!

Scorcher
AnswerID: 301147

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 15:55

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 15:55
Hi Inland Sailor,

We have done most of the OTL except Gunshot but as suggested take the slight detour and have a look from the other side. We have always enjoyed others doing this bit! There was a very small section we somehow missed last time but otherwise all the way to the Jardine (old vehicle crossing) - come back and use the barge though. We did it with trailers and really it wasn't so scary just take your time and enjoy. Off course if in a hurry then take the bypass - you didn't mention how much time you had.

Personally think that the OTL is less damaging then shooting along the bypass plus there are some pretty camps along the way.

Kind regards

AnswerID: 301158

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 16:05

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 16:05
PS Some food for thought - this is the Gunshot crossing.

Image Could Not Be Found

Plenty of activity! The Nissan man got in plenty of trouble from the missus I can tell you - no it wasn't me!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 567238

Follow Up By: Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:56

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 18:56
Yes that may be gun shot but there are about another 4 entries.
If you look at the people on the bank on the rite of picture that is another way down.
In the above picture there are 3 entries and not in the picture are another 2.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 567265

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:23

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2008 at 20:23
Yep, in 2002 we did the OTT on the return trip from the top (did the by-pass track on the way up). The Patrol plus Ultimate camper handled Gunshot Creek very easily, using the area just on the right side of the above photo, where the people are standing/watching. I used the front air locker and did it without spinning a wheel.

On my 2nd trip in 2004, we had 2 other vehicles with us and approached Gunshot from the southern side. It had changed dramatically and we decided to give it a miss and retreat back the 12klm to the short bypass through the ranger's station. All 3 of our vehicles had trailers and we weren't prepared to risk substantial damage......

We enjoyed the trip on both occasions....definitely recommend the OTT. As stated elsewhere, take it easy and if possible, travel with (or follow) another vehicle/s. I did that on the 1st trip (I was on my own that time) and found that by watching what others did, I could follow their line (if they did it easy), or pick a better line (if they stuffed up...hahaha)

Roachie
FollowupID: 567281

Sponsored Links