Coleman Fuel Lanterns

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 07:38
ThreadID: 57134 Views:4638 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have looked at getting a fuel lantern, and having searched the archives, it seems the Northstar is the way to go. However I need a little more info -

1) Are they quiet when running. I have a primus gas lantern which is quite noisy when running at full gas, gets annoying after a bit.

2) Can they be used with diesel?

3) What are the advantages if the Northstar over the two smaller colemans, (grey base, cheaper, one has i mantle, the other has two).

4) Are they safe if accidentally knocked over etc.

5) I have always assumed that gas/fuel lighting and tents don't mix very well due to risk of fire and noxious gases, however what do other do - anyone use these indise a large nylon tent

Cheers, any advice much appeciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:16

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:16
1. Yes, relatively
2. No
3. Brighter, inbuilt ignition, double tied mantle
4. No
5. No, I wouldn't

OT
AnswerID: 301257

Follow Up By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:52

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:52
Ralf, didn't have much time when I responded this morning, so I'd now add:

Being a bit of a fuel lantern fan I reckon the Northstar is the ducks guts and worth the extra over the single tied lanterns. You can now get a LPG version that runs on regular or Coleman disposable bottles if you prefer gas. There is also a "Perfectflow" stainless version of the LPG one if you feel so inclined The mantle is huge (giving the excellent light) but being double tied is extremely tough, in fact my lantern is about 4 years old, done some rough trips and I don't think I've changed it yet.

I don't think it's relevant to compare fuel lanterns with fluro's and the like, they serve different purposes. I've got a Versa Lite and a Pirrana clone too, also a couple of kero Tilley's, two different size Hurricanes and a couple of battery powered LED lights.

We tend to use the fluro's in Summer and the fuel lanterns in Winter when I want the heat, although I always take the Northstar in case I need bright light away from the camp. The Hurricanes are for around the camp after dinner or to leave at the long drop overnight. LED lanterns are good for the kids in the tent. If I have space to take one and the time and inclination I love lighting the Tilley, nothing like the warm glow on the face over the cards!

OT
FollowupID: 567399

Reply By: oz doc - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:17

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:17
We have a duel fuel Coleman. I don't believe it will run on diesel. They will continue to run if knocked over as long as the glass doesn't break. The big issue for us is that they get extremely hot- and therefore pose a hazard to the nylon tent and children. We never ever used ours inside the tent. The noise didn't seem to be an issue. After a couple of nasty burns ours has been retired until the children are older. After advice from this forum we have purchased a coleman flouro lantern (the red one) which gives out good light and has a handy little night light setting and works fine inside the tent.
AnswerID: 301258

Reply By: RalfR - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:26

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:26
Thanks Outback Tourer and Oz Doc - all the information I need. Cheers
AnswerID: 301259

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:53

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:53
A Versa-lite or EvaKool Torpedo fluro are very quiet, use less than 1 amp per hour to run and are extremely safe.

They are ideal for tents and take a knock without extinguishing themselves.

Actually, I also have a Coleman battery operated fluro lantern which I use inside the living area of the camper. Uses 4 D size batteries and lasts for ages as I only use it occasionally.

I know everybody has their preferences, but there is nothing that compares to a quality fluro light for a campsite, in my opinion.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301264

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:06

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:06
Bill

I agree, with one exception. The Coleman Dual Fuel throws much more light than any fluro and this could be the only perceived advantage.

Having said that I wouldn't have one as a gift.
-Gotta light the bloody things
-Gotta fill the bloody things
-Gotta carry fuel
-Gotta change mantles
-They take up space
-etc.

Give me fluoros any day. Safer, easier, cheaper to run etc.

But, each to his own.

Jim.

FollowupID: 567346

Reply By: didiaust - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:03

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 13:03
To this day I am amazed that we have not been blown to "kingdom come" with my husbands bloody fuel light. I had convinced him to give up on the over priced nuisance but then he gets himself a dual fuel stove and the flames it puts out when trying to light it is going to blow us to you know where. He keeps blaming the fuel but I am not convinced. I would never buy either.
AnswerID: 301307

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:22

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:22
I love my single mantle Coleman duel fuel light. It emits a warm, mellow light and produces a gentle hiss both of which are very soothing and compliment the atmosphere of the bush. It exhibits the occasional foible which adds to its charm. I still use a fluro over the cooking table because my home-made light stand won't take the weight of the Coleman but as soon as the cooking is done the fluro is turned off.

I often camp in the High Country in cold weather (below 5C, often below 0C) and fluorescent lamps loose a lot of their output at these temperatures; enough to make their worth questionable. If you camp in low temps. and want electric lighting consider LEDs - although they have a different set of issues.

On my own I would use the Coleman in a tent - with children around I would not - like anything hot one must exercise proper parental caution in regard to children. The lamps are safe if knocked over.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 301335

Reply By: SCUBADOO - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 19:49

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 19:49
Ralf

FWIW

I can't comment on the Colman but I own a similar Optimus 1551 lantern.
From the manual.
Fuel preference:
1 Kerosene
2 Diesel

I use diesel exclusively and it operates perfectly with no apparent difference in light output.

Neville
AnswerID: 301366

Reply By: Go Fishing - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 21:50

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 21:50
Similar positive views to everyone above.

Mates and Father In Law's mates (they've seen it all) are astounded at the quality of light that the Northstar emits.

Pricey but once you cop that one-off, cheap as chips to run. Regulary get 6+ hours run time off 300ml of fuel at flat stick.

Love the thing to death.

But would never use one indoors. Rechargeable laterns for indoor.
AnswerID: 301386

Reply By: neil&brenda - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:36

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:36
Ralf, My brother invested in a dual fuel coleman a couple of years ago. He was never happy with the amount of light it emitted. I have an Austramax. A name only the "oldies" can relate to. Great light, but bloody hot to handle. Trade off?? Tent? NO WAY .
Cheers, Neil & Brenda
AnswerID: 301548

Sponsored Links