Cobb BBQ - couple of quick questions...

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 10:15
ThreadID: 57139 Views:3033 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. The search wasn't working so I could not find the previous post but someone has mentioned a ceramic plate that can make great pizzas on a Cobb, and I am really thinking of buying a Cobb for travelling. Does anyone know where they might be sold? I looked on the official .au website but they have a non stick pizz plate which is not what I want.
Also, apparently the current models are made in China unlike the older ones that were made in South Africa - is there a difference in quality?
Thnaks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:25

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:25
Don't know re the plate - all I know is what I've seen on their website - we just bought the stainless mesh sided deluxe model and have clocked up a few roasts - excellent toy overall - the build quality looks first class to me........ (designed in the first world and manufactured under supervision in China is a whole lot different to something the Chinese design and toss together themselves (sadly)....... often the handbook on the latter products is the give away - frull of Berry Hill tripe instluctions.
AnswerID: 301300

Reply By: Member - Robert G (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:00

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:00
I got mine from BCF and they had all the accessories too.
AnswerID: 301319

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:07

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:07
Not so much a difference of 'quality' more of function

The older Mk2 version had a solid plastic base whereas the new base id the stailess steel mesh It is my belief that the new s/s mesh operates cooler than the solid plastic base does, especially in the wind. This belief is supported by the fact that you can buy a wrap around 'bra' for the new s/s models.

I have no first hand proof of this theory as I have the older Mk2 style Cobb. I actually have another brand new Mk2 which I bought off the net not long after the new s/s model came out as I thought the mk2 was a'better' unit in this respect
AnswerID: 301333

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:08

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:08
ooops meant to add - stored in the cupboard for when my current mk2 needs replacing
FollowupID: 567424

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:35

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 16:35
Here's one thread concerning Cobb and accessories. I reckon if anyone knows about the pizza plate, Sandman (SA) will.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301339

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 19:55

Wednesday, Apr 30, 2008 at 19:55
Hi Mick,

I have to admit I know nothing about a ceramic plate that you can use in a Cobb.

I performed a search and discovered reference in thread 55090 but this was reference to a Webasto Diesel Cooker which utilises a ceramic cook top.

Actually, I don't believe you even need a ceramic plate.
The frying/Pizza pan that comes with the Cobb does the job as well as anything. It has a non-stick surface, is made from stainless steel and fits properly to the top of the cooker.

In reference to the "Premium" Cobb (stainless steel mesh base) and the Mark II (solid plastic base) I believe there is a slight difference in temperature which may affect cooking time.

I originally had the Mark II and when the base broke, I contacted an SA reseller (Snowy's Outdoors) and could have bought another Mark II base which were still available. As the same problem would have occurred down the track, I elected to buy the Premium base and found a problem with heat loss when cooking in windy conditions.

So I contacted Klaus at [url=http://www.infrontcampinggear.com.au/category45_2.htm#2008]Infront Camping[/url and ordered the Bra.
Can be used around the outside or inside the mesh base.
I have put mine inside and have had no problems with the canvas scorching. It stops the wind from circulating through the mesh and cooling the inner bowl.

Actually Mick, I believe it was you who put me onto this product in the first place, (Thread 54098) so take a bow mate.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301367

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 06:09

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 06:09
I have the stainless steel Cobb and after finding I had too much heat loss put Al foil around the inside of the base. Works well now.

The non-stick plate works fine for pizzas and many other things.

alastair
AnswerID: 301405

Sponsored Links