One to watch out for - sidewinder

Submitted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:04
ThreadID: 57182 Views:3674 Replies:13 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Puchased a bisolater isolater from derek bester-"sidewinder" and after some enquires I was informed by him that the brand sold to me was overheating and not working properly and after my compalint he stated that he would substitute it with another brand but that he would not refund me the full difference in price .After many e-mails he told me that I was a difficult customer and that why don't I just try the faulty one and see how it goes (nice if you are struck in the Simpson without power fot your fridge and food). Queensland fair trading is a bit hopeless , anyhow I got my full refund for the bisolator back but this "sidewinder" company should be expelled from advertising on the web site, I have ten e-mails to prove what a "caring" guy he is I hope others take heed and if you have had good service, lucky you. I am a pretty fair guy but when someone tries to treat me for a fool, look out, my next stop is the small claims tribunal.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:08

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:08
Hope all your facts are right ... this is a public forum!

My experience with ABR couldn't be faulted.
AnswerID: 301534

Follow Up By: DIO - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:10

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:10
As above....."My experience with ABR couldn't be faulted."

I couldn't agree more.
FollowupID: 567617

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:54

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:54
ditto.

A repeat customer.
FollowupID: 567621

Follow Up By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:26

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 08:26
I've seen this forum used a couple of times now to "bag" someone or a product because the person has an issue. I really don't think the forum should be used in this way.

It IS a public forum and no different to printing the same thing in a newspaper or making the same comments through the media, people who do it are taking a very real legal risk.

Not only to themselves but also to exploroz as they are publishing these comments through their website.

If the facts are not as stated it would clearly be defamation and subject to litigation should the person being allegedly defamed wish to take legal action.

With the greatest of respect big bo I think you have "gone over the top". You clearly have an issue that you are disgruntled about but there are other avenues available for you to resolve the issue, which obviously you are aware of and seem to have unsuccessfully taken.

Mate, I really think you should pursue resolution through the statutory authorities that have been set up to do that.
FollowupID: 567685

Reply By: jdbb - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:23

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:23
No complaints here - got what I wanted, when I wanted and at a good price.

John
AnswerID: 301543

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:39

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:39
Hey Big Bo,

Maybe you're just one "difficult customer"...(like he said, supposedly)......;-))

You said at the start that Derek informed you there was a problem with article.....but then you said you complained about it.

The bloke has offered to fix you up with a new/better product; I'm not sure what your problem is......

As the others have said, I have had excellent service and follow-up etc from Derek.....you're the only bloke I know that has had any bad experience.....hence my belief that you maybe just a difficult, demanding bloke to deal with, who just likes to stir the possum..... I could be wrong, but as i said... everybody else seems to report good service.
AnswerID: 301550

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:17

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:17
Roachie, Now Now

"he stated that he would substitute it with another brand" not "The bloke has offered to fix you up with a new/better product"

two different thing and meanings.

I have got things from Derick as well, no problem, until you ask and he comes across like you're having a go at him or it's the old thing, I've never had problems before it must be you type comments..

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 567626

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:48

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 20:48
And they probably look forward to your weekly calls at the Tribunal.

tessa
AnswerID: 301555

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:03

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:03
Unfair.
FollowupID: 567643

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:22

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:22
Yep, as the others have said.
I cannot speak highly enough about Derek's service, 2nd to none in my books and you won't win any friends here saying he should be expelled from advertising on the web site
Just my opinion
Cheers Ray
AnswerID: 301563

Reply By: Best Off Road - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:25

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:25
Hmmm.

Some interesting and varied responses. Most without merit or legal understanding.

Two points
- My experience with the SCT is that it is a very fair place to deal with disputes
- Derek has a fine reputaion here.

Having said that, I'll back the SCT everytime to assess whether Derek is a fine trader or otherwise.

Let's let the more qualified assess this matter. I don't think it is a matter for discussion on a public forum until judgement has been declared.

Jim.

AnswerID: 301566

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:26

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:26
ditto to all the positive comments about Derek and sidewinder

I have found him professional, a pleasure to deal with and with good gear.....

I couldn't speak more highly of his service and email responses when queried on any subject

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301567

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:50

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 21:50
You might find thread 39950 interesting big bo
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 301574

Follow Up By: Best Off Road - Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:16

Thursday, May 01, 2008 at 22:16
A most interesting read Bob.

My, there are some dills on this forum.

Jim.

FollowupID: 567648

Reply By: Cruiserman1961 (QLD) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:47

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 06:47
No problem ever with Derek. Found him always helpful and appreciate his professional advice on this forum. I have bought from him repeatedly in the past and will continue to do so. Sorry to hear of your troubles mate.
Cheers, Udo
AnswerID: 301607

Reply By: bobsa - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 11:48

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 11:48
Hi,
I have dealt with Derek a couple of times now and have always found him very helpful and prices OK
Regards Robert
AnswerID: 301664

Follow Up By: Member - nrb1748 (VIC) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 13:15

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 13:15
Ditto
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 567731

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:12

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 15:12
Ditto to the ditto

FollowupID: 567751

Reply By: tukka - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 01:00

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 01:00
I beleive the man (big bo) is just trying to help others and let them know how he was dealt like alot of other people do on this forum. There are millions of people on here saying dont buy from a certain place or dont go here or there. Dont all gang up on a bloke who was just trying to help others out. Pretty tough talking smart on a keyboard fellas. I have dealt with Derek myself and dont mind his prices, very competitive. Though i have experienced his rather rude side via Emails when one of his products wasnt working properly and he wouldnt even try and help me work through the problem. Get an auto electrician to look at it i was told. Yeah gee thanks buddy. I wasnt after a refund as it was a simple problem all i wanted was a wiring diagram which he would have on hand or know like the back of his hand but that was too much. Wiring diagram came with product he said, i said yea but its been misplaced as that was over 3 months ago. No reply. So i will only buy things made by a reputable company off him now and nothing made by him. But thats my personal opinion and im entitled to it. Thanks
AnswerID: 301790

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 14:50

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 14:50
But but you can't say that about Derek......

Derek runs a business and he doesn't owe this forum anything and this forum doesn't owe him.

So just because he is a member and and an advertiser on this forum doesn't give him special rights as a retailer.

If someone has a grip they should air it and warn other members .....more may come out of the wood work.

If people aren't allowed to say something bad about a business then I suppose we should stop disusing how bad Cooper Tyres, Waeco Fridges, Telstra NextG and the local ARB/TJM shop was.....hell we should also include the banks and the fuel companys too while we are at it!

FollowupID: 567925

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 18:47

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 18:47
So now we will never bag Super Cheap, Telstra and every other company that gets a (bad) mention for doing what the poster may *believe* is the wrong thing by him...

What has happened to 'free speech' ...

At least this way Derek has the equal right of reply, and he may show Big Bo to be wrong ... or right?

The statement "Mate, I really think you should pursue resolution through the statutory authorities that have been set up to do that" could be correct.
Then if it WAS proven to be correct, would you want to know it, or still hide it under the carpet.

Big Bo DID get back his Money IN FULL ("anyhow I got my full refund") so Derek has done the right thing by him - obviously not as fast as Big Bo expected, but he did it, and Big Bo is just saying what has happened to him.

It may not be what some want to read but they will get over it because it 'obviously' did happen, derek has the right to make some comment in the thread to confirm or even deny the statements Big Bo has made.

If only good and perfect people lived in this world it would be a lonely place !

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 301878

Reply By: keepingitreal - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 12:12

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 12:12
Pull your head in Bid Bo!!! Fair go mate, seems you are being a little dificult. I have had nothing but good dealings with "Sidewinder", as does it seems a lot of others here. That's not to say that you may have rightly been overlooked in your business dealings?? Who knows, but there's no need to publicly bash businesses that utilize this website. I know we are all entitled to our own word(s), but maybe you are not being all that "fair", as you claim. We are all in this world together mate and I'm sure Derek wasn't trying to use or abuse you or your integrity. If the problems sorted then leave it at that and move on, why make someone elses life miserable??????? If you feel hard done by , then take your business elsewhere!, It seems Derek won't mind!
I must say I have no business affiliation with Sidewinder whatsoever. My two bob's worth

Cheers Keepingitreal (NSW)
AnswerID: 303215

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 13:37

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 13:37
keepingitreal,

if you object so much to big bo's complaint why do you bring it to the top of the Forum a full week after it slipped into obscurity?

Sometimes it's best just to let it be.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 569349

Follow Up By: keepingitreal - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:12

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:12
I agree Gone Bush, appologies all round. Been away from Net for 2wks, read through posts, didn't notice date. It's a pity Big Bo couldn't "let it be" with his dealings!! Cheers and point taken! I guess I wouldn't bash a business on a public forum, each to their own though.

Regards Keepingitreal!
FollowupID: 569358

Sponsored Links