WARN WINCH HELP PLEASE

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2008 at 17:43
ThreadID: 57203 Views:5117 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We have a 8000lb high mount warn winch.
The "free spool" leaver has stuck. Have sprayed wd40 etc to try to free it, but no luck. Friend tried to pry it open and chipped the handle(as pictured)
Took the four screws/bolts out, as i thought i might take the side panel of to get to it that way, unfortunately this is glued/sealed to the main case and does not want to budge. Don't wish to pull to hard in case the handle comes right off or i bust the main case(some sort of die-cast)
Spooling the cable out under power just ends up in tangles(also very hard to do if you don't have anyone else to put the cable).
Bought it from ARB about 6 years ago, great company but if out of warranty they don't do much of the repair thing.
Thanks for your help.
Lyndon & BernadetteImage Could Not Be Found
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Vivid Adventures - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:46

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:46
I guess this is the clutch that is stuck in, and I'd guess that the panel that holds it in has a gasket on it which would need breaking (and subsequently replacing) when putting it back together again. But then that was going to be necessary anyways.

The clutch may be worn (it is usually a pretty simple mechanism) and may need replacing itself, or it may have dirt in there or simply be rusted in or some combination of the above...

This page might be of some help although it looks like a different winch:

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/oldwarn.php

Cheers
Andrew.
AnswerID: 301726

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:56

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 18:56
Thanks Andrew
The winch has had very little use, so not worn. Was sticky from new.
Cheers Lyndon

FollowupID: 567795

Reply By: Member - Tim - Stratford (VIC) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 19:02

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 19:02
Lyndon,

Try this site - a slightly older M8000 - but similar.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

(Cut and paste to browser)

Tim
AnswerID: 301728

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 19:58

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 19:58
It looks like the OP's answer lies in point "22":

"Out disengages the motor from the drive train, and allows the cable to be free spooled out. Many an 8274 owner will tell you that the clutch rarely works, and the reason is because of corrosion between the shaft and the housing."

So pull it off, let the WD40 do it's work. Clean up the corrosion. Seal it up with a grease that hopefully will inhibit the corrosion. and life should be rosey.

If the housing for the clutch has a sealant or gasket, just use a gasket sealant - seems to be working fine on my winch in lieu of gaskets.

I knew I had seen that site before but for the life of me couldn't find it.
FollowupID: 567804

Follow Up By: Vivid Adventures - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:00

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:00
Hey Lyndon.

I have a tube of high temp gasket sealant that I opened today for re-building a winch today, which you're welcome to...

Drop me an email: andrew at vividadventuresdotcomau if you're anywhere around Malvern.

Cheers
Andrew.
FollowupID: 567805

Reply By: Steve - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:03

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:03
mine's a lot older than that one - yep, it went "sticky" but a bit of WD40 (Lanotech, actually) freed it up. I actually gave it a bit of a tickle with the hammer - inwards - at least it broke the crust of whatever was making it stick.
AnswerID: 301737

Reply By: troopyman - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 23:10

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 23:10
I pulled mine apart a couple of years ago . Anyway that pirate site is great . Undo those four bolts you can see in the photo . You can check the oil thru that hole then . Top up with moreys . It is easy to put back .

moreys

You must pull that leaver out then pull a couple of meters of wire out (freespool) . Then push the lever back in then using the control cable wind the wire back i n and out a couple of times . You must do this every couple of weeks for the life of the winch . Fiar dinkum mate , they are about $3500 new now . You have to look after them .
AnswerID: 301777

Follow Up By: troopyman - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 23:13

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 23:13
I meant wind the wire in and out just the length of the control cable , not all the way out . Takes about 5 minutes every couple of weeks .
FollowupID: 567878

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 09:18

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 09:18
Thanks for the replys folks.
If i pull off the panel which is attached with the four bolts is oil going to come out ?
If so what type should i replace it with and how do i fill it ?
Thanks Lyndon

AnswerID: 301805

Follow Up By: troopyman - Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 11:01

Saturday, May 03, 2008 at 11:01
I already said , moreys available at auto barn etc . Use a metal paint scraper and gently prise it apart after you undo the four bolts . The oil has to be level with the join you can see in your photo .
FollowupID: 567907

Sponsored Links