Sealing a Canopy

Submitted: Friday, May 02, 2008 at 19:17
ThreadID: 57208 Views:19727 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We are picking up a second-hand canopy for our hilux tommorrow and i'm just wondering what is the best product to use to seal that canopy?

Suggestions and experience most appreciated!

Ben
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 19:53

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 19:53
Recommend you put an air intake flap on top to create positive air pressure inside and keep the dust out. Workrd a treat for me.
AnswerID: 301736

Follow Up By: suchidog - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:04

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:04
thanks leigh!
FollowupID: 567806

Reply By: warbo - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:29

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:29
Ben
spray some water from your hose on it if it beads up, no need to seal .But i would recommend to seal the stitching with a wax stick from your camping shop if canvas leaks then get a tin from there too,my canvas was 7yo canvas was ok but stitching needed a rub.hope this helps
AnswerID: 301747

Follow Up By: suchidog - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:38

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 20:38
warbo, thanks for the reply....this is a fibreglass canopy, not canvas, but thank-you for the reply!
FollowupID: 567822

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:14

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:14
I just went to clark rubber and got some very thin dense foam sticky adhesive on one side only (not double sided) and stick the sticky side to canopy so in the event you want to remove the canopy for what ever reason you wont have the foam stuck to the ute well of the hilux. Sealing up around the gate can be a but tricky. I dont have any pics of my old lux where I sealed up the rear gate. Bit hard to explain but basically when the rear tailgate on ute is shut I made up 2 pieces of stainless steel flat pieces bout 1.5mill thick. I screwed one edge of it to the inner panel so when you open tail gate the other half will be visible, I then attached the same foam to that piece (one either side) so when tail gate is then shut it pushed up against the foam stoping dust. On the botton of tailgate when opened I popriveted one of those door seals like on your front door but the one with brush on it not rubber strip and this also reduced a lot of dust. If the rubber on the trip on bottom of canopy door is flattened out which is possible due to age you can replace them for around $25 from a canopy place. Depending on the handle applied to canopy some times like my old one was in the middle the rod behind that slides out either side can bow slightly and the canopy door wont pull in nice and firm so you might need to straighten it up. Depends on brand of canopy. You wont make them 100% but will stop a vast majority of it. Worked for me. In saying that bulldust is so fine but in general it works. regards Steve M
This is the left over strip I used on the rear gate been in shed for a few years now
AnswerID: 301758

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:20

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:20
This strip is faced downwards on the bottom of gate (popriveted) so when the rear ute gate is shut it will sit against ute well floor. I drilled a few additional holes in the strip and added a bit of silastic behind the strip and gate to stop any vibration and any possible movement so the metal wouldnt rub + to stop any slight hairline gaps for the dust. As said bit hard to expain but hopefully you get the idea. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 567841

Follow Up By: suchidog - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:24

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:24
Thanks Stephen M!....on my way to clark rubber tommorrow :)
FollowupID: 567843

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:36

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 21:36
Ben,

concur with the foam tape from Clark Rubber in between the top of the ute tub and canopy edges. On the rear tailgate I used the one sided tape again but a 30mm wide strip stuck right around the bottom of the tub (Not the tailgate). The tailgate then pushes into this tape when closing. If there is a sliding window at the front of the canopy, they recommend you slide it open about a 1/4 when travelling. This will pressure the back yet remain dust free. Certainly worked with my ARB canopy on the Navara.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 301765

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 22:28

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 22:28
If you have a close look you can see the metal strips either side just inside of tail lights. They start at the bottom and go up to the height of the ute well. When gate is shut it pushes up against these and stops the dust. You cant see the other strip as it drops down a tad plus all the other crap in the way. Sorry for the weird picture was the only one I could find but I wasnt having my huge a rse planted in the midlle of the pic so I cut it out..
Hope this gives you an idea of what I was talking about. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 301771

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Friday, May 02, 2008 at 22:32

Friday, May 02, 2008 at 22:32
Forgot to mention you can see the rubber between the ute wel and canopy. This was about 5 mil thick I think the thinner one would be better. You only need it to be about 2 mil thick. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 567873

Reply By: suchidog - Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 11:08

Sunday, May 04, 2008 at 11:08
Thanks very much for all your replies!....I will be spending the afternoon in th shed :)
AnswerID: 301964

Sponsored Links