Camper Across The Simpson

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 16:20
ThreadID: 5723 Views:1666 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I would like the hear if anyone has taken a Camper Trailer across the Simpson Desert. We did a crossing in September last year and did not take a trailer. Now after having done the trip I would have no hesitation in taking mine. I feel letting the tyres down to around 10 -12 PSI on the Trailer and 18 on the car should give me minimual trouble.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tojo 100 - Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 19:16

Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 19:16
Nissan Man…We recently crossed the Simpson Desert from East to West on the French Line towing a camper trailer with our 100 Series Landcruiser. I had no problems whatsoever crossing the dunes including (the big) Big Red. At the time we crossed there were 3 other groups with trailers about to do the same trip. As long as you let your tyre pressures down & you have some experience with sand driving you should have no problems & will do no damage to the dunes. We let our tyres down to 12 psi all round. Our fuel consumption from Birdsville to Mt Dare was 120 lts (diesel).
AnswerID: 23778

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 20:46

Sunday, Jun 29, 2003 at 20:46
The operative words, "let your tyres down" are critical. Having said that, Friends Of The Simpson Desert frown upon any form of trailer across the desert and discourage this. If in the unlikely chance you have mechanical breakdown and require assistance, YOU and perhaps your vehicle may be rescued,NOT the trailer.
AnswerID: 23791

Reply By: Colint - Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:46

Monday, Jul 21, 2003 at 19:46
Nissan Man. Our Family has just completed the trip through the desert, via the WAA line,travelling west to east with our camper trailer. All I can a say is take it, we spent 5 nights in the desert in total comfort and without any problems towing them through the desert. Let the tyres down all have been saying and take the time to enjoy the sights. May be the "FRIENDS of the Simpson Desert" should have a look at the over loaded top heavey vehicles that are going through there every day. Standard suspenion and well over loaded and passed the vehicle GVM weight.

Enjoy the trip
AnswerID: 25524

Sponsored Links