Tibooburra to Olive Downs and beyond

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:44
ThreadID: 57297 Views:2348 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
We boiled the billy last week at Lake Albacutya and had a cuppa with the Vic Ranger. We told him we were planning to head from Tibooburra to Cameron Corner and he suggested that we take the Middle Road via Olive Downs and Fort Grey-more interesting. We are towing a 22.6' Supreme Territory, dirt road capable, 16" wheels with an LC100 V8 Petrol. We then want to travel on via Bollards Lagoon, Merty Merty, Moomba to Innamincka. We're doing our homework before heading off in about 10 days. There's obviously going to be road trains in either direction from Moomba? Any other advice that we can take into account before we make a decision?
We'd really appreciate the input..

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Landy - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:48

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:48
Middle road is another option via Olive downs and I doubt you would have any proablems with an off-road van.
AnswerID: 302148

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:51

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:51
Your van should be able to travel along all of those roads with ease. Just drive to the conditions

When you see a Road Train approaching slow right down and get as close as possible to the left of the road giving the train all the room it needs.

Enjoy your trip

Cheers
AnswerID: 302149

Follow Up By: Member - Bob & Lorraine S (NSW - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:00

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:00
Thanks Willem. We'll be watching for the dust clouds and the navigator (me) will be on the UHF to let them know we see them. It's unknown territory and we just want to make sure we are well informed and sensible
FollowupID: 568202

Reply By: Member - Bob & Lorraine S (NSW - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:55

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:55
The Landy
Thanks for the reply. It lead us to your Corner Country Report which will be good reading
AnswerID: 302151

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:58

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 16:58
Hi

We didn't go the Middle Road on that trip, but we enjoy the whole area. Go the Coongie Lakes out of Inamincka, spectacular place.. Also, be aware Olive Downs will be getting quite cool at night. I was there in June one year and absolutely froze.

enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 568201

Follow Up By: Member - Bob & Lorraine S (NSW - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:02

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 17:02
Thanks Landy-the Webasto will get a workout!
FollowupID: 568203

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:05

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:05
As said an offroad van can be towed on the Olive Downs road but be warned it is a single lane track not a formed road over much of the distance. Far more interesting than taking the main road with less dust & corrugations. From memory there a few shallow dry creeks & jump ups requiring basic clearance & departure.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 302179

Reply By: Innkeepers - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:11

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:11
Hi Bob & Lorraine,
We travelled that route in June '06 and found the road wide and not too rough or sandy at the time we were there. However, this can sometimes lull you into letting the speed creep up a bit and then the dreaded bulldust pit will completely cross the road and can be a foot or two deep. Then it's potentially suspension breaking stuff. A red sign on the ground at the side of the road generally indicates a bad bull dust hole out that way.

Best tip we can give you is to take it slow and easy and when on the rough roads we drop our tyre pressures down to make the rig ride softer. Your rig is somewhat similar to ours....we tow a 19 foot Bushtracker with a V8 Auto 100 series and when on the corrugated stuff, we run 25 psi in the front tyres of the cruiser, 30 psi in the rears and 25 in all four tyres on the Bushtracker.....touching a large piece of wood...we haven't shaken the van to the point where anything falls off. We also, unload the fridge door shelves and stick that stuff in the Engel in the cruiser while travelling.....save the weight destroying the fridge door hinges over the rougher stuff.

We'll be out that way soon too....leaving Armidale on Sunday morning and heading to the Gulf via Cameron Corner....if you spot us we have our screen name on the Bushtracker....always on UHF 40. Some pics of our rig on our website. www.nomadznow.com

Hope this helps and have a safe trip.
Cheers
Rick & Julie
www.nomadznow.com
AnswerID: 302183

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:44

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 19:44
Hi Rick ,

Have a great trip . Hope you catch some fish .

I'm off to Cue in WA on June 1 . Detecting at Cue and Halls Creek and exploring around the top of the Oakover River.

Willie
Bogger
FollowupID: 568243

Follow Up By: Innkeepers - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:06

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:06
Hey Willie,
Yes, I see a few "BOGGERS" lurking about here on EO....it pays to cast the net wide.

We're currently in Armidale....beautiful time of the year with all the colour on the trees.....We have another few days in Armidale and then our next motel job is back in Rockhampton......however we have 6 weeks to get from Armidale to Rocky and we're leaning towards a route due West to Cameron Corner, a bit of Gold Detecting at Tibooburra/Milparinka and then on to Innamincka, Birdsville, Boulia, Mt Isa, Gregory Downs, Adels Grove, Lawn Hill, Burketown, Normanton, Karumba, Undara Lava Tubes, Chilligoe, then South to Belyando Crossing and Clermont for some Gold Detecting and then on to Rockhampton...that should do it...... You could always leave early and join us at Milparinka ....

We'll give the fishing a go when we get to the gulf...it'll be good to wash the red dust off by then...or maybe not...we love the red sand....

Sounds like you're in for your fair share of swinging the coil too....I picked up a few Lithium Ion battery packs for our GP-3000...they'll go on a belt clip instead of that heavy lead -acid battery on the shoulder harness...put my back out last time I took it off.

Hope you find lots of the "Yella Stuff"....
Safe travels
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 568247

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 09:01

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 09:01
Hey Willie

I better get thaqt steak and chips washed down with a few beers in before you go again....
FollowupID: 568320

Follow Up By: Member - Bob & Lorraine S (NSW - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 10:07

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 10:07
Rick & Julie
Thanks for info and advice-all taken onboard. We will keep an eye out for you in that area.

Clipper811
UHF 18 scan all
VKS737-Romeo2954
FollowupID: 568332

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 19:45

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 19:45
Baz,
I member messaged you about that steak , as my son wiped my hard disc and all my email addresses .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 568437

Sponsored Links