Replacement of Michelin XPC tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 573 Views:4047 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help?
I'm appraising the ability of the standard tyres fitted to Land Rover Discovery for extended off road work. Are the XPC tyres capable? I've only driven them on bitumen and they are fine. What do others think of their off road ability. Are there any other suggestions out there if they can be replaced by something more suited to off road, camper trailer towing.
Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kelly Green - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:00
Mark,
I have taken the Michelins everywhere and they have performed well however, they are expensive to replace, hard to get when outback, not much good in mud, prone to side wall damage. The standard Michelins size 235 x 70 16s are not that common to other vehicles so could be particularly hard to get, just that size makes them difficult to match important on a constant 4wd. Look at a set of AT's and at a different more common size size, (Check all warranty's both car and tyre). Try Cooper ST's or BFG AT's at 245 x 75 16.
Good luck
Kelly
AnswerID: 1500

Follow Up By: Mark Wilson - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2001 at 01:00
Kelly thanks for the prompt response.The problem with side wall damage was a concern for me. So I will talk to the local tyre bloke and get his rewcommendations on something with a stronger side wall. My other option is to "spin off" the current tyres from the rims, purchase something more appropriate for the trip and then, if necessary, swap the tyres back for the old but still serviceable michelins on our return home to bitumen driving.
FollowupID: 465

Reply By: Steve Campbell - Thursday, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:00
Mark, If you're going to go to the trouble of pulling tyres off the rims and alternating with different types, you might want to check the cost of second hand rims for your vehicle. I've always had 2 sets of six rims (2 spares). One with everyday tyres, and another with a set of play tyres :). You can also have different rim widths if you want. With the changeover to my current troopy I haven't yet got all the rims I need, but good second hand ones are about $40. Should be about the same for a Landrover. This is about the cost of putting the tyres back on and balancing them.
AnswerID: 1504

Follow Up By: Mark Wilson - Thursday, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 29, 2001 at 01:00
Thanks for the tip Steve. I hadn't even considered this. If the price is right it seems like an excellent idea. I'll chech out the cost of additional rims.

Regards Mark
FollowupID: 466

Reply By: SCOTT - Friday, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:00
Mark Ive got 98 TDI and in the process of replacing tyres this weekend and have gone for BFG's this time round. Have been sold on there durability and extra strength in the side wall also have afriend who has a 96 tdi who has had 20k trouble free 4wd out of his set and showing excellent wear. To date have only heard good reports about them so time will tell. cheers
AnswerID: 1511

Follow Up By: Mark Wilson - Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00
Scott, thanks for the info. I've talked with Cash Tyre Service in MIldura and they advise me that the BFG 693 is the way to go also. Thanks very much.
FollowupID: 475

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)