Dogs and unwelcome guests

Submitted: Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:34
ThreadID: 57308 Views:2890 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Damn Dog has fleas for the first time. Went down and bought some stuff called Frontline Plus, and Pyrethrins powder to treat her sleeping gear, carpets and the car.

Gave her a wash, then applied the powder throughout the house and vacuumed. Next morning I put the stuff on the back of her neck, and got rid of the remaining Flea bleep with a fine tooth comb.

Since then I've brushed her twice a day, but the fleas are still there. I've doused the house again with powder.

Gave some thought to a diluted kero bath, but the daughter is'nt not too keen on the idea.

Like to hear from others on how they treat the problem.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wayne57 (WA) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:42

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:42
Call Hydrodog to give her a flea wash and re-apply the frontline, do not use kero as that will cause more problems.
AnswerID: 302207

Reply By: oz doc - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:55

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 20:55
It will take time to get rid of the fleas. The eggs can last a long time in the environment and as they hatch out the dog will get re-infested. Keep up with the frontline. Make sure you treat all dogs and cats sharing the environment. You can get a product called "Capstar" , either from the vet or from the supermarket - and this can be used along with the Frontline. It will kill adult fleas for 24 hours- as good as a flea bath but no-one has to get wet.
AnswerID: 302211

Follow Up By: MARIC - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:05

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:05
Hi Kim, with frontline, don't forget not to apply 2 days before or 2 days after washing dog. Frontline the best next after that Advantage, eventually u will win
It is only when you see mosquito land on your testicles that you find another way to solve problems without violence

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 568271

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 10:45

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 10:45
Frontline and Advocate are both good products sold by Vets.

Not cheap but they do the job.

We use Advocate as it includes Heartworm treatment as well as fleas, ticks and other worms.

Just one treatment (back of neck) once per month.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 568340

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 11:35

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 11:35
A third product sold by Vets (same concept as Frontline and Advantage) is what I use - called Revolution.

When we first bought our pup he was full of fleas and I had no idea what treatments to use and tried the powder etc but it never worked. I thought the Revolution/Frontline/Advantage stuff was activated in the bloodstream so I wanted to avoid that but I was wrong. The vet recommended Revolution - and I learned that it works by applying it to the neck where the fleas will walk through it because this is a dog's hot spot. The Revolution worked first go and we've not had a repeat visit from the fleas. We are on a schedule with the Revolution being mailed to us - so we keep up the treatment according to the recommended dosages/repeat cycle.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 568346

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 11:36

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 11:36
Oh, apparently the various worms are the carrier of the flea so the products that combine worming are most effective.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 568347

Reply By: warbo - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:38

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 21:38
kim i have working dogs always run them through the sheep dip which has diazinon in it 200g/l never ever had flees you can get it from any farm produce store 100 ml costs $16 read instructions carefully thou.then spray the rest out of dog bath around areas where dog lays,!
AnswerID: 302228

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 22:06

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 22:06
Warbo

Thanks for that. There's a produce store a few miles up the road and I could probably get Diazinon from them.

Give it a few more days, and if things don't change I'll give her a full dip.

Thanks for the reminder.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 568284

Reply By: Rowie - Monday, May 05, 2008 at 22:44

Monday, May 05, 2008 at 22:44
You can go to your local Landmark store and buy some Nucidol or Maldison which will kill fleas.

If you want a less chemical type option, go to a specialty pet store and buy some "Fidos" dog shampoo.

Also get some lavender oil (as used with those lamps that use water and a little casserole candle) Lavender is a natural flea repellant.

After using the Fidos, and the dog has been well rinsed, place 3 or 4 drops of the oil in a 2 lt jug of warm water for the final rinse and gently pour from head to tail. Try to keep the dog from rolling in dirt and drip dry on the concrete etc.

Also, crush several cloves of garlic and mix it with kilo of coarse minced meat. Lightly bake it in the oven as a meatloaf. Slice it up before freezing and give the pooch a slice each day. (Fleas don't like chewing on a dog with a diet that includes garlic)

If the dog has a favourite spot it lies anywhere in your yard, especiall y if it is in the dirt, that area must also be treated with the Nucidol as Fleas breed and live in the dirt. Any shampooing etc will be a waste of time until the dirt area is treated. Bedding must also be treated at the same time.

AnswerID: 302243

Reply By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 08:53

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 08:53
You really have to be patient, read instructions carefully and reapply treatment at exact interval given on the box. Not only eggs can be immune and you need to break their cycle, but also you dog “deposit” her pets everywhere and collect them later. We have a dog and two cats and once get fleas, it would takes 2-3 month to completely eliminate them.

Serg
AnswerID: 302276

Reply By: cityslicker - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 10:20

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 10:20
GDay Kim

My wife is a vet so I'll hand over to her ---

Fleas are a common problem that I have to deal with in my vet clinic and I think i have heard nearly all the remedies under the sun.
The main problem with getting rid of them is not completely breaking the life cycle. I look for products that are safe on the dog and safe for you especially if you are living close to the dog
(so avoid sheep dips).

I would recommend saving your money on lots of products just use the frontline plus monthly no need to wash or apply other repellents as they just make the job take longer as the fleas avoid the pet and therefore also avoid the frontline.
Remember to treat all other pets especially cats as they will share their fleas.
You will see new fleas for a while until all the eggs that are in the environment have hatched. The frontline will kill them before they have a chance to lay any new eggs - so the cycle is broken.
you will win. If you have any problems i think there is a toll free number in or on the frontline packet that will give you more technical advice.

Just incase you think this sounds like a frontline add - i do sell this product in my clinic but have no connections with the company.

cheers Dr Jen
AnswerID: 302290

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 17:16

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 17:16
Gday Kim,
Like every one has said...you need to break the cycle!
Get YOURSELF a flea collar.

HaHaHaHa............

PS. Happy Birthday!!!!
See
ThreadID: 57274

Cheers
AnswerID: 302362

Follow Up By: Member - Kim M (VIC) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:08

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:08
Hairy

Damn Dog's too miserable to buy me a collar. In fact so stingy, she still has the first bone earned.

PS You going to be dishing out a lot of free grog young fella....

LOL

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 568402

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:29

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 at 18:29
Best I start brewing hey!

LOL
FollowupID: 568410

Sponsored Links