Desert Parks Pass

Submitted: Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 11:03
ThreadID: 5735 Views:1494 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all we have just received notification of a price increase on the Desert Parks Pass from $85 - $90. This is effective for all passes from July 1. So if you want one at the current $85 price then you had better order it early today - We will be adjusting the price in a few hours.
BTW: It will have to be stamped for June not July.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:45

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:45
Just about pricing it's self off the market. More and more people are beginning to take the risk and not purchase a pass and if the get away with it then good luck to them. If caught, they simple buy one when told to do so (or not). They can't catch them all.
AnswerID: 23842

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:57

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 12:57
I agree,
Last year while I was at Dalhousie the ranger was checking them all and people were saying "I didn't know you needed one"

Will
FollowupID: 15989

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:08

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:08
My view is that the reason for the price rise is to reduce visitor numbers by pricing it out of reach of most people. If its too much, I urge people not to plan a Simpson trip and accept it. I urge eveyrone not to become anarchists - this is simply vandalism and may encourage the authorities to close access if we don't look after it.

I really love the Simpson Desert and have got to know and appreciate the concerns of the local people and as a DPP agent, understand the concerns of the Dept Environment and Heritage who issue the permits. Some travellers do some dumb stuff. What ever happened to all the track markers? In 1999 most were in place and the Desert Parks Handbook had a guide to each one. The system was very good, but is totally useless now that theifs have souvenired them all. In 2002 I don't think I found even one remaining. I asked the District Ranger what was to become of the Track Marker replacements and even offered to re-survey and position them. It's a costly replacement project, not sure if its been done for this season or not. Never heard.

The DEH have observed that the impact of increased tourism is changing the place. Travellers can argue all they like that their trailers don't impact, and that they are responsible drivers but the fact remains that it is changing out there. DEH have had to massively manage Dalhousie Springs - firstly bringing the camping area back from the Springs in 1998/99 and then building the big new toilet block in 2001. We all want to go to these remote places but don't appreciate our own impact.

Rather than reject the system that currently allows us to visit, I support the permit cost and do my bit to encourage others to do the right thing (no trailer, minimal firewood use, carry out all rubbish, do the right thing with your toileting waste etc). Please respect the management wishes of the DEH and look after our fantastic desert.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 15990

Follow Up By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:29

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:29
Michelle, I totally agree with your sentiments, everything you say is correct. Neverthe less, I see the irresponsible too, and raising this tax again (it used to be an acceptable and affordable$50) will only aggrevate the problems you have outlined. The ever tightening fee's,permits, taxs on the motorists will vent somewhere, and the easiest vent is voluntary fee's and passes. Sadly, it is a fact that we cannot put a bubble over our chosen recreation and by popularising it, only brings the bad elements along for the ride.
FollowupID: 15994

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:45

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 13:45
Yes you're right - sometimes I wonder if producing ExplorOz wasn't a bad thing! This is why there are some secret locations that will never be published by us! Good to have you onboard.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 15995

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 14:40

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 14:40
I dont see a pass from Stopping "Some travellers doing some dumb stuff."

If people are not fined, then nothing will change, the majority will go on stating "didnt know".. but then when you think about it, the majority WOULDNT know they needed passes.

Question is it signposted anywhere that you do need one?
FollowupID: 15996

Follow Up By: Robert - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 15:23

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 15:23
If it is really 100% about protecting the environment (ie. reducing the numbers), then why not introduce a ballot system. That way the numbers are limited and it's fair. If the authorities are going to increase the permit cost, to where it prohibits some people travelling into these areas, then don't you run the risk of people questioning: What's the point of preserving these areas or start to think Why not keep everyone out.

What if the government decides to just let in the filthy rich - this would no doubt stop the numbers and the government would still rake in the dollars.

We keep hearing about trailers doing damage - why not place a temporary ban on them for say two years and see what happens. I also wonder if people travelling in large convoys also contribute more to the damage than the solo or small groups of travellers.
FollowupID: 15998

Follow Up By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 15:41

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 15:41
Robert, that's a very well thought out response and I would agree. A ballot system might just be the way - it certainly works over here in Perth, for Rottnest Island. But just keep in mind that it is my uninformed opionion that the wish to reduce visitor numbers is the reason for the increase. The official letter we received (today via email mind you) to advise of the increase stated that the SA Government had introduced a number of price increase and one of them was the permits for the Desert Parks. Your point about convoys is probably quite accurate too.
Thanks for your input on this topic.ExplorOz
FollowupID: 16001

Follow Up By: Madman - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 03:01

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 03:01
For Truckster,
There are sign posts around the different locations at Inamincka that indicate you need a deserts parks pass to camp there.
FollowupID: 16030

Reply By: Member - Roger - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 17:54

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 17:54
Yes I do agree with you to a certain extent,
But one is advised not to go alone into these type of places. So what constitutes a convoy ? two , three or more vehicles. Small convoys limited to perhaps six vehicles would seem ok to me.
About trailors, When I and three other vehicles crossed the Simpson none were towing, however we saw the remains of a trailor abandoned (broken axle).
Also when travelling to the Cape on the old Tele line one was obliged to back off the track to let those towing pass, this is another route that one should think hard before towing. You mention the ballot system, it sounds good however those that choose to cross the Simpson without a permit would be the type that would not worry about a ballot. I personally believe that the permit system is a good one, if part of the charge is used to maintain these tracks. I also believe in the principle that if you can cart it in you can cart the residue out. Our group even carried our own wood into the desert for fires.
Thanks for a great site, yes I also have a few secret places.
Regards,Dodg
AnswerID: 23872

Follow Up By: chad.vic - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 18:09

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 18:09
I have just purchased a desert pass and would not have been put off by price increase.Whilst an increase from $50 to $90 in a short time is super inflationary,I still regard it as cheap entry pass to what from all accounts is a wonderland As for the anarchists I once played on a golf course Fees$15 before start of round or $30 during round course well patrolled. Cheers
FollowupID: 16086

Reply By: Phil G - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 23:10
I don't have a problem with the cost. When you consider it gives you unlimited camping for 12 months in some superb places, and a few maps thrown in, then I'd suggest its cheap if you spend a bit of time out there.

AnswerID: 24011

Sponsored Links