Useless completely OT rant

Submitted: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:20
ThreadID: 57350 Views:2889 Replies:9 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I need small 165mm circular saw. I have religious paranoid habits avoid to buying any tool, drill bits, saw disks, chisels, router bits, tread making tools, knifes, blades etc made in China. Sometimes it leads me to extensive searching (and wasting a lot of time) and sometimes I am paying up to twice for non-Chinese equivalent. But with small saw I could not find anything made elsewhere – only in China. Today I specially divert my normal route to visit power tool place that selling lots of good stuff – a bit more dear then Bunnings, but they have not got anything like Ozitto at all. There was two to choose from – Makita made in China and Hitachi made in Malaysia that been even $20 cheaper. Surely I pick up Hitachi. But when I open box, I have discovered that display unit was made in Malaysia, while what they sold me was made in (….. insert your favorite swearing here….) China! Now talk to me about freedom of choice!
Rant is over. Thanks for reading.

Serg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:26

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:26
What was written on the box??
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 302455

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:53

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:53
On display unit it was clearly market on label “Made in Malaysia”. I have not opened box in store (silly me! Good lesson next time), but when I opened there was nothing at all on unit itself and small label on the corner of the box “PRC” – exactly as this.

Serg
FollowupID: 568505

Reply By: Member -Signman - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:35

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:35
Whats wrong with Made in China ??
Unfortunately this 'lucky country' of ours can't (or won't) compete with the Asian manufacturers. Sure we rant about the workers over there slaving all day for a bowl of rice, or whatever.
But a lot of the products out of Asia are fair, to good, to very good quality. Makita & Hitachi are both Jap. companys !! Would that make them better if made in Japan- or China- or Malaysia or wherever ??
One of the regulars on this Forum is very much anti-Asian products!!
But he raves about a particular GPS unit,- wonder where it's made ??
Cheers

AnswerID: 302456

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:43

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:43
Dave ,
Some Chinese products have the white lettering facing inwards - they are the ones to avoid .
Willie .
FollowupID: 568503

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:46

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:46
From what I can see, we have no hope of competing with the likes of China. Who in Australia would work for the sort of $$ they make........we would have to sacrifice our 'lifestyle' and not go travelling around this great country of ours....

Selfish? Maybe, but hands up who isn't?

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 568504

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:59

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:59
Signman,

I continuously have problem only with stuff made in China. BTW China and Asia is big difference – I have no problem with made in Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore or Taiwan. I am not state that everything came form China utter cr@p, but if it is utter cr@p, then it definitely made in China! Just hate to taste my luck – been here, done this.

Serg
FollowupID: 568506

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:16

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:16
When I was growing up in the 50's, people used to talk about how crappy the stuff was that was imported from Japan. Now, anything that has a label "MADE IN JAPAN" is considered to be of the highest standards and a product to be sought after.

Same will happen with China in due course......then it will be Botswana or somewhere else that labour is cheap, that will take over from China as the crappiest place to buy stuff from.

It's your money; spend it on whatever you like.......
FollowupID: 568509

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:23

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:23
Roachie,

“It's your money; spend it on whatever you like.......”

This is the whole point of rant – I like, but cannot. I doubt very much that China ever became No 1 base on quality. There huge difference between two cultures and also between after WWII and beginning of 21 century.

Serg
FollowupID: 568510

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:42

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 10:42
Hi Serg,
Maybe try Milwaukee. Thay are mostly made in the states. Good quality too. Milwaukee Power Saws
Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 302459

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:38

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:38
Serg ,

As a long time importer from Asia I agree with what Roachie says .

First I imported fishing gear from Japan before that became uncompetitive . Then I moved to Taiwan and Korea before they went the same way and I moved to China . I could buy crap there or I could pay a fair price and get good quality .

There is great quality coming out of China , you just have to pay more for it .

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 302467

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:54

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:54
Yep I agree. I have a Compaq (HP) laptop, yes, made in China, but it's fine, the quality looks great and obviously made right up to HP specs.
But I recently bought a (cheap) pond pump from Bunnings, made in China, and so far have returned it 4 times for a replacement after it failed. They said I was overloading it, and that the specs quoted on the box were not correct. I told them that while those specs were quoted on the box, and I was operating it within those specs, then I will keep returning the pump for a replacement it it fails.
Bottom line is that Chinese are capable of making good stuff, but there is a lot of cr@p out there as well.
I note mention of Ozito from Bunnings. I recently bought a hammer drill there for $69. I only needed it for one job (has since done a few more) and since it had a 3 year warranty, this was a cheaper way of tackling the job than hiring a hammer drill or getting a tradesman in. So I'm not too worried about the quality. But if I was a tradesman, then downtime of equimpent costs money, and I would be considering something better.
There, that's it!
Gerry
FollowupID: 568515

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:54

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 11:54
Willie,

Partially agree and partially disagree. Some stuff from China OK. For example I am with you about fishing gear – have no problems at all. Branded ones usually OK and probably I am just a bit extra paranoid in my particular case. However, I have not seen as yet any decent business shirt from China. My favorite brand Van Heusen – I like them because they clearly state length of the sleeve on label. I have longer arms and “long” of “extra long” is simply not enough – I need as least 93cm. Recently SWMBO pick Van Heusen made in China with 93 cm sleeves. Guess what? Somehow 93 cm in China currency shorter then in Malaysia currency on 2.5 cm! Wrote a letter to them – never have an answer.

Ditto to shoes – have not got any proper one from China.

And one need to be completely mad to say that any China-made wood chisel or thread-making tool any good!

Serg
FollowupID: 568516

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:03

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:03
Gerry,

I mention Ozitto for very reason. Like you I need big angle grinder for once-off job. Came to Bunnings and could not justify paying $299 for German-made Bosch over $89 Ozitto. It fails after 30 min. When I brought it back they never even ask me anything and never even open it – pretty good indicator how many returned. I have bite a bullet, paid extra $210 and got Bosch. I been using (and abusing) it for more then a year and it still will go for another 10 easily. Unlike you, I have not got that much spare time to return the same cr@p over and over. And besides you will prove nothing to no one – Bunnings just do not care and simply pass faulty units to manufacture. And you just keep wasting your time.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 568518

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:14

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 12:14
keep away from stuff from Czech Republica,although the tool center highly recommended over makita i was the idiot to allow them to weasel into my brain box a few years back,You know the story ,you go into to buy what you want and they fill ya full of bleep e and before you know it you've got something different in your hands....But never again.

Just looked at a few of my tools for you:

Makita-160mm circular saw-China
Makita-18 volt cordless drill-Taiwan
Makita-3000vt-Sabor Saw-Japan
Makita 82 mm Planer-Japan
Makita LS1212 Drop Saw-Japan
Makita 100mm Grinder-China
Just realized my Jigsaw i lent out months ago hasn't come back so cant tell you..

Paslode impulse gas fired 3-4 inch nail gun- U.S.A
Paslode air fixing gun-U.S.A

Hitachi-235 circular saw-Singapore
Hitachi-74 mm belt sander-Singapore

Look I'm a tool junkie and cannot possibly name all the tools i have but i haven't an issue with any of them apart from Czech.
Buy a good secondhand Makita (made in Japan if your that worried)

And the way the missus has been carrying on lately i'll be looking for a new one made in Thailand !

Cheers

AnswerID: 302475

Reply By: Ozboc - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:09

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 14:09
so knowing there are no Australian made products in the range your after , what your saying is your racist against Chinese???

Boc

AnswerID: 302491

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 15:01

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 15:01
Nope :-)))))) Just hate cheap quality stuff. And having way too many negative experiences I do not like to risk. And besides where is freedom of choice? Lets them prove that they better instead of forcing me.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 568547

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 19:43

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 19:43
Simple. Power saws = Makita or DeWalt regardless of where they are made. I have about 7 or 8! 185mm / 1800watt is the pick of small power saws. You'll pay for what you get.
AnswerID: 302547

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:11

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:11
Serg, I remember a few days ago (when you first appeared under that psuedonym) you wanted to change this forum by dividing up all the OT topics by catergories as the current trend hosed you off....so pal, what is this chit doing here, pull your hear in and bugger off to an appropriate forum.
Fred.
AnswerID: 302551

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 23:46

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 23:46
G'day Fred

Get ready for it mate....i more or less told him the same the other day and got abused for it, then he has the hide to tell me i am the agressive one ....me thinks old sergy boy might hit the turps a little to much....lol

Cheers......Dave
FollowupID: 568696

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:04

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:04
O, Borgy! I missed you so much not a joke! But in short - ….. you know it better.
FollowupID: 568723

Follow Up By: Member - Serg (VIC) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:13

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 09:13
Fred,

Where you get if from? I never was bashing OT – actually quite on the contrary. This forum will be quite boring if discussing only about Nissan vs Toyota. I was voting to split forum for easier navigation, NOT for ridding of OT. And I still have not change my mind, but just have to accept it as is. I have nothing at all against OT and will create and participate in them. But I still believe that OT will be better of in Chit-Chat category rather then mixing with everything together.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 568726

Reply By: obee - Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:56

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 at 20:56
the japs move their factorys to china and supervise and train the chinese staff. Just like when the americans did the same in japan. The tools should be just as good. Sidchrome did the same. The times we live in but I know what you mean. I prefer second hand stuff like my bosch drill made in switzerland.
AnswerID: 302563

Sponsored Links