Coleman dual fuel lamp advice sought

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 19:23
ThreadID: 57397 Views:6882 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I really enjoy my Coleman lamp and frequently use it on the back veranda at home as well as in the bush – it’s the single mantle variety. However, recently, it has started to “surge” a little for a few minutes after lighting and tonight (after 15 mins of use) slowly dimmed until I turned the control to min and back to max after which it came good again. Is this an indication of the generator needing replacing? I’m currently running it on Coleman fluid although I have run it on ULP previously.

Mike Harding
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roughasguts - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 19:32

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 19:32
Mate I'm not familiar with the unit, but do you think the fuel jet under the flame needs a bit of a clean.
AnswerID: 302753

Reply By: oz doc - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 19:36

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 19:36
We had a similar problem with our lamp. Took it in for a replacement generator.When we wet to pick it up the guy said the gen was ok- just needed cleaning. He said was due to using alternative fuel. We started out using Coleman fuel when we first bought it but then went to using shellite as it was easier to get. After the clean we stuck to the Coleman fuel and it's been running sweet.
AnswerID: 302755

Follow Up By: George_M - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 20:14

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 20:14
G'day oz doc

A silly question - what's the difference between shellite and Coleman fuel?

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 568884

Follow Up By: oz doc - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:47

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:47
Well George - I really don't know. The guy that was servicing our lamp said that the Coleman fuel had certain additives which helped keep the jets clean, and that the shellite was just straight fuel. I have never bothered to look into the truth of this statement.
FollowupID: 568911

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:41

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:41
My Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern is now on 8 years old. I too have experienced the surging problem. After cleaning the jet it runs well again for yonks period of time. I used to pay heaps to by "Coleman Fuel" and I'm yet to find anyone who can convince me that there is a significant difference between Coleman, Shellite and White Spirits.

I now go the most economical rourte by using unleaded fuel with no apparent variation in performance.

If you are unable to purchase a "Primus" type jet pricker start looking around for the absolutely "finest wire brush you can find then pull one of the wires to poke/clean the jet.

I have replaced the jet, or as the yanks call it, the generator, once in all the time I've owned it.

Ian
AnswerID: 302785

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:16

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:16
Hiya Mike

The symptoms sound familiar,Then you may get a slight howling noise to start (then loud howling,similar to wind blown down a pipe) then it only gave quarter light at full bore...

I never used unleaded in my Northstar,only Shellite,then Coleman premium blend fuel which is shellite to i think...

Mine is at Rays at the moment for Coleman to fix i will let you know of the outcome
I tried new fuel,new mantel and a good blow out,Still no good.

Cheers
AnswerID: 302798

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:52

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:52
Who would service the Coleman lights? any good camping store?
Thanks
Reiner
FollowupID: 568926

Follow Up By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 00:11

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 00:11
Hi Reiner

Rays are a big buyer of Coleman,I'd suggest sticking with them..I spoke to a Coleman Dealer at the Caulfield Show and i said i was taking it back to Rays and he said he would get around to looking at it there...

Cheers
FollowupID: 568934

Reply By: HowdyDoody - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:41

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 09:41
I am so glad to see this post. Our lantern has been 'surging' as well. It is normally only for the first few minutes after start up and we have been rectifying the problem by pumping more pressure in until the surging stops. Sounds like a clean will solve the prob.
Thanks guys.
Note: We have only ever used shellite in ours.
AnswerID: 302843

Reply By: Member - Greydemon (WA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 16:35

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 16:35
Thanks for the warning. I have only had mine for about a year and haven't had this problem yet. Mine has never seen anything other than ulp and seems happy about that, as long as it never finds out that other lamps get expensive treats I'm sure I'll be ok!
AnswerID: 302908

Reply By: curious - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 21:54

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 21:54
I'm also delighted with my Coleman Northstar and use ulp most of the time with an occasional fill with Shellite. If I turn the light down fairly low, it surges and splutters but burns cleanly again at full volume.

Thanks for the advice about pricking the jet as well as translating "generator". I suspect that the additives in ulp generate a bit of soot and a Primus pricker would be ideal to clean the jet. In the old days when we used blow torches to heat soldering irons, the primus pricker was a constant companion to clean the jet.

- Peter
AnswerID: 303133

Sponsored Links