Prado 90 series wheel bearings

Submitted: Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:30
ThreadID: 57406 Views:10307 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.

I'd appreciate advice on repacking / replacing front wheel bearings on my Prado. I've done a search on the forum but revealed nothing relevant.

How hard is the task to tackle at home?

I understand you have to completely remove the steering knuckle arm and then press the bearing out? From what I can gather it appears that this bearing is a sealed unit and not your standard cup style bearing.

It (repacking bearings) also doesn't appear to be an item on the Toyota maintenance schedule.

What have others done?

Thanks
Andy.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:53

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 21:53
Boony
Look at website www.trueblueford.com/wheelbearings this gives photographs and step by step instructions for changing/maintenance of wheelbearings for not only Fords but any type of vehicle.
Goodluck
Gary
AnswerID: 302790

Reply By: ctaplin - Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:27

Thursday, May 08, 2008 at 22:27
Andy,
My 90 series has done 125,000km with 60% of that on corrogated dirt tracks and also with numerous deep water crossings, as I've been out and about during the top end 'wet season' for a couple of years. I figured the wheel bearings might need attention but have asked several toyota dealers and other mechanics and they tell me that they are not a servicable item. They have sealed bearings and not a user servicable without special tools. This doesn't help much if one siezes up in a remote location and locks solid...
I've taken my 90 series virtually everywhere and it seems to be more reliable & robust than previous HJ47 & 75 series cruisers that I've had that leaked front diff oil into the wheel bearings and also pumped oil from between gearbox & transfer during highway driving.
Chris
AnswerID: 302800

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:55

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 08:55
Yep, the fronts are non-serviceable. If there's a problem, you replace them. I know a lot of people who use their Prados offroad, and can't recall anyone with a bearing problem.

Rears are also non-serviceable (semi-floating rear axle).

I've gone back the other way to Chris. I had a few Landcruisers, then two Prados (and thought the reduced servicing was great), but went back to a 79series, and now go through the ritual every year or so of regreasing the bearings on the fully floating axles. Its the price we pay for a bigger payload.
AnswerID: 302831

Reply By: Member - 120scruiser (NSW) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:27

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:27
22 years as a mechanic and never replaced a wheel bearing on a Prado.
I have gone backwards as well. Sold the 120 series Prado and bought an old 1996 80 series 1HD FT. Best thing I ever did and the first thing I did was the wheel bearings.
AnswerID: 303113

Sponsored Links