Karavan security

Submitted: Friday, May 09, 2008 at 22:21
ThreadID: 57437 Views:2506 Replies:10 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
We have just purchased a new Kimberley Karavan and it is looking great. Now SWMBO is worried about it's security, so the question is this.
If I put a secure pin into the tow block of the Treg coupling will this deter the casual villians ?( I know about the others as I was a "screw" for 25 years) Or have I missed something?
Mal.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 22:58

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 22:58
As they say ... Locks are to keep the honest people out!
AnswerID: 302982

Reply By: Notso - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 22:58

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 22:58
I might have been instrumental in sending a few of your customers along

It's about all you can do, it will stop most of them. I know a few who put a wheel lock on as well.

If they really want it then they'll bring along a flatbed truck and load it up.

AnswerID: 302983

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Friday, May 09, 2008 at 23:12

Friday, May 09, 2008 at 23:12
G'day Mal, I know one of our KKOG owners who has a heavy high tensile chain that goes through the wheels and around the suspension arms and a really heavy lock too. It needs an angle grinder to cut all that as bolt cutters have real problems with that.

One Jimkijoka wants a sort of nextG/sat phone thing to broadcast a location.
AnswerID: 302984

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 06:37

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 06:37
Mal

I was stressing about the same thing recently having just bought an expensive camper. Looked at one of these:

ultimate wheel lock

But now I like the chain idea (through wheel and suspension) better - found though that it's a bit hard threading chain through wheel so about to weld chain to solid rod so its a bit easier to put on and off.

Other factor I reckon is leaving car with trailer hooked on in a remote car park and going for a walk e.g. say stopped at a lookout with a 200m walk. You could have our camper (with swing jockey) hooked on another car in about a minute so now I padlock chains to car. Pin locks no good in this case, because need one on treg, one for towbar tongue pin and something to stop unscrewing treg nut - single chain lock easier.

cheer JD
AnswerID: 302995

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:46

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:46
Remember to put time and effort into keeping the padlock clean, after a few days on dirt roads, muddy and wet roads they can be very hard to unlock and get the key in.
I tried all sorts from taping it up, plastic bags (neither worked just trapped the muck) etc.
the best way is to make sure it hangs vertically and keep it well lubed with graphite powder. Blow it out regularly with compressed air and reapply the graphite.
Blocking the orifices with blue tack didn't work either ;-))
FollowupID: 569143

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:19

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:19
thanks Peter, I've been taping padlock for spare wheel at back of car for a few years and that's worked ok. What you have said probably indicates trailer chains exposed to more muck. Will heed your advice. (Reckon same issues would apply to pin locks too..) JD
FollowupID: 569153

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 09:01

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 09:01
I meant to add that never use anything oily to lube the padlock, just makes the rap stick even more.
FollowupID: 569159

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 10:02

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 10:02
JD,

Another option worth considering is wire rope, especially the stainless steel type.

Extremely hard to cut but remains flexible.

Noble & Sons on Grand Junction Road are a good source.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 569162

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 11:11

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 11:11
Just as a matter of interest, using a padlock instead of rated shackles to secure the towbar chains is illegal from a traffic reg's point of view.

Should anything go pearshaped while towing, your Insurance Co has an immediate reason to become difficult.

No problem if it is padlock for anti theft as well as shackles.

Cheers

Disco.
FollowupID: 569165

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 11:26

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 11:26
Agree Disco. I was doing shackles and lock for that reason.
FollowupID: 569166

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:58

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 07:58
I am not sure what hitch the KK uses but if you have a Tregg or an AT35 hitch the you could use One of These
The lock has a tight fitting rubber cover to keep the majority of the crap out of the mechanism. It can be use whilst connected to vehicle as well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303002

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:06

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:06
G'day Kev, the Treg-locks and things seem to get dirt in them and also vibrate to a condition that makes them hard to open. I have a cover for each of the key points but after a short time even on bitumen roads decided I wouldn't drive with one on. Bit of grime gets in and it isn't easy to get it off when I wanted to.
FollowupID: 569149

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:17

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:17
John,

I haven't had a problem with mine but then again I mostly use the lock when the trailer is disconnected.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 569151

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:30

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:30
Kev, what's the "trailer lock" bit do. I can't understand what you do with it from the picture? cheers JD
FollowupID: 569155

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:49

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:49
JD,

The trailer lock fits over the coupling and locks into place.

I use a hitch lock and an AT35 lock

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 569157

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 13:24

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 13:24
Kev ,

My Talon lock pin was very difficult to open always and you needed to jiggle it around for minutes before you could get it open . I sent it back to the company and they "fixed" it - there was no discernable change .

I stopped using it because then , because I thought one day it might not come off at all .

Willie .
FollowupID: 569183

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:25

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:25
Hi All

I find one of the easiest ways to help secure your van is to run a H/D chain through the wheel slots and over the springs, with a H/D lock,
I also remove the Break Away Plug off the draw bar, it wont go any
where with out that little item.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 303004

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:46

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:46
Its all about 'serious inconvenience'to the thieves it seems - as others do too, while unattended I run a serious chain through one of our Campomatic's wheel slots and around the suspension, snapped up with a HD lock. The Treg pin is taken with the car. And its insured of course....................while on the car, and parked in towns, one of the Campo's safety chains is padlocked to the towbar as well (drilled and extra hole in the safety chain flange).
AnswerID: 303006

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:49

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 08:49
Gooday,
I have had the Trailer Cop, (like a tow ball sits inside the coupling), then the one that you put under the coupling & over the handle/catch and lock it with a padlock, now use a proper wheel clamp I bought fromm Aldi when they were on special approx 1 &1/2 Years ago. Llke it for 2 reasons, 1, the plate covers the wheel studs to make 'em look for something easier, (unlike the Whitworths one), and 2, I have a Hubodometer on the R/rear wheel so it also covers that to save it walking when we are unhitched & parked. As previously said that won't even stop a tilt tray if they are keen and there are plenty of dogy ones out there who can see an easy profit when they can get their stock for free.
Cheers,
Boroma604
AnswerID: 303008

Reply By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:08

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:08
Hi Mal.
Also a Karavan owner and security is a worry. I use a heavy 12mm wire dia high tensile chain (bolt cutter proof) with a heavy laminated padlock through a wheel slot and around the suspension arm. Brass bodied padlocks can be wrenched off with a 15” Crescent. Don’t be sucked in by those fancy Whitworth type wheel clamps of any brand as I guarantee I could have one of those off in one minute or less without any hand tools and I’m not even a thief. Funnily enough one of the most effective deterrents I’ve found is the dog bowls. I have a large dog who has large food and water bowls which I always leave beside the Karavan while we are away, though not so obvious to look like a placement. Apparently it’s amazing the number of people who approach the Karavan, see the bowls and shy away, 99% of them genuine I’m sure. Another trick for leaving the Karavan in a remote campsite was explained by an EO member from FNQ I think. He always left a note on his camper saying, “ Dear ----- the dog and I have gone off to shoot a few rabbits, be back soon.” Worked a treat he reckoned.
Regards. CliveG NZ.
AnswerID: 303104

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 08:30

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 at 08:30
Have just seen one of these on a Cccaravan and I guess it could fit if you wanted to carry an awkward shaped thingie

Go to Klampit
AnswerID: 304808

Sponsored Links