80 Series - Air Helper Springs

Submitted: Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 18:05
ThreadID: 5745 Views:1925 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Instead of a suspension "lift" has anyone tried "air helper springs". I've just been quoted $300 for 2 Coil-Rite air springs (air bags) which fit inside the coil (after removing the bumpers stop rubbers). The bags can be manually inflated up to about 30 psi to stiffen suspension and level the vehicle. Has anyone had experience with these or similar? The same crowd also sell air helper springs for leaf spring vehicles - again they replace the bumper stop rubbers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:47

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:47
Would they be the same as Polyairs????

If so they arent for lifting the car, more for firming it up when you have large loads on the back....

You can get 2 springs for that price too....
AnswerID: 23897

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 08:55
Truckster, yes, they are the same as PolyAirs.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 16033

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:07

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:07
Gordon, I run a set of PolyAirs (same thing) on the Pathfinder since I need to load it "to the hilt" and I tow a campertrailer with 150 kg ball weight. The PolyAirs do a great job returning the vehicle to level, taking the strain from the springs and stiffening the rear suspension that helps control the trailer. They give a very harsh ride if you leave them fully inflated with an unladen vehicle so you need to deflate as soon as the load is removed. I've only had them for 6 months (done 3 trips - 8,000 kms), so longevity is an unknown factor.

There are alternative products such as Noble Suspension supports, which are solid versions (not air filled). I heard some positive reports about them. Of course, there are a variety of "helper" springs.

My brother has just been through the same exercise for his Exploder and settled on new, heavier duty, progressive leaf springs for the rear as he decided it would give the best all-round solution, and Truckster's right - you can get 2 new rear springs (almost) for your $300.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
AnswerID: 23926

Follow Up By: Gordon - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:55

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:55
Rohan
Like you, I am not looking for to "lift" the vehicle but rather to "level" the vehicle when heavily loaded.

The attraction of Polyairs over replacing with a stiffer spring is that you don't have to put up with a rough ride when lightly loaded. Stiffer springs may cost the same as Polyairs but do not provide the same versatility.

However, with the Polyairs, I worry about rocks and other abrasive debris getting between the spring and air bag which could cause chaffing and ultimately puncture the air bag. It is also possible that at higher speeds on rough roads, flying rocks could hit the Polyair bags directly unless there was some sort of shield fitted around the spring (especially to the front).
FollowupID: 16036

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:07

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 11:07
Can't argue with you there. Agree on all points. The PolyAir bags are very tough, but abrassion will eventually wear through anything. I think it would take a sharp object and considerable force to pierce the bag, but ... $hit happens.

I agree, IMHO they do offer a more versatile solution, but to be honest I think its the old "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation.

Good luck deciding.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 16038

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 00:22

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 00:22
I ran Polyairs in my GQ for over 10 years without a problem.
Currently have them in my GU, fitted 2 years ago, no probs yet with rocks.
Gerry
FollowupID: 16139

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 17:29

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 17:29
Gordon
Ome make std height springs aswell as King and others. Your std springs are probably sagged a bit and when a large bump is hit, you will contact the bump stops. Just for a laugh, next time your under the car, look for signs of polishing where the bumpstops hit to see whats happening.
Most would say that suspension is the best value for money accessory that can be bought for an 80. I think the bags are an excellent way to help the springs when loaded, worst that can happen is they fail, and you will probably still make it home. How about looking for a new set of springs from a 105 series that have been pulled out at 50kms for OME. There was a guy at the Sydney Swap Meet that offered me springs and shocks from his 100 for $20 lot-should have got them for you...
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 23970

Reply By: Barry (in Vic) - Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 03, 2003 at 00:00
Gordon,
I had PolyAirs on my last two 80-series for just the purpose you are looking at - restoring ride-height under camping loads.
They were great apart from one problem. The last set were fitted in Alice and unfortunately not quite correctly. It is essential that a large clearance hole is available at the top for the air-line. My air-line was run through a 4" metal disc at the top of the cut-off bump-stop, but the original hole in that was not enlarged as per the instructions. Then, given some time and wheel articulation, the 4" disc eventually cuts the air-line and it's all over!
I now have a 100-series and have just fitted CoilRites. The bump-stops in the 100 don't have the 80's metal disc, so there is no similar problem. The CoilRites are essentially the same as PolyAirs (but blue instead of red). However the air-line fittings have a unique barb arrangement which avoids clips or clamps of any sort. They are made by Firestone in the US. MyCoilRites are untested yet though - we head north in three weeks.
AnswerID: 24084

Sponsored Links