Easy Tents

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:45
ThreadID: 57465 Views:3911 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at buying a Oztent,are they any quicker ones out there have Dual Cab need convineance.

Cheers Chuck
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RalfR - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:56

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 19:56
I have and Oztent, and I can confirm they are very quick to put up. The internal frame simply expands and locks into position. The downside is that the tent is bulky and a little difficult to transport. I have the large sized Oztent five, and it needs to be transported on a roof rack.

The quality of materials and manufacturing is excellent, and they are built to last a long time. Overall very pleased, despite some difficulties with transporting. I hope this helps a little.

Cheers
AnswerID: 303096

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:11

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:11
I have the RV4 Oztent (2.5m x 2.5m), and RalphR has it pretty right. Quick to setup, but mine is about 2.5m long, so it goes on the roofrack. I have the fibreglass Ozpod and a tradesman rack (no front and back bars) and the Pod sits up there fine.

The quality is first class, and their after sales is as good as anything I have experienced. Good blokes, and quick to help out should you encounter any problems, which would be rare.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303105

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:14

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 20:14
Chuck,

I'm confused. Do you want to use the tent as a "convenience", or do you want the convenience of a quick erecting tent?

Mate, there is nothing, quicker and more simple than the Oztent IMO.

I had narrowed the choice down to the Oztent, or the Black Wolf Turbo tent and when along to a 4WD show to see what the practicalities were.

First of all, we visited a vendor promoting the Black Wolf Turbo tent and the main focus appeared to be a video showing how to erect and collapse the tent.

Then we visited a vendor selling the Oztent and the only decision to make was what size we required.
The Oztent wins hands down for quick erection. 30 seconds is not an exaggeration. You lay it down, fold out the left hand side, fold out the right hand side and lift in the middle. Then fit the two awning poles (if you are using the awning) and whack in a couple of guide ropes and pegs.

The biggest plus is the fact that the awning provides the living/cooking space with protection against inclement weather and with the rear of the vehicle making up the other barrier, or wall, and the option of side panels, you are as "snug as a bug in a rug".

There is only one "down side" to the Oztent.
You need to carry it on a roof rack, or trailer. At 2 metres in length, you will not find it easy to store inside the vehicle.
This is a "minor" requirement in my opinion.

We chose the Oztent to use when it was impractical to take the camper trailer on selective trips and as we needed extra storage space for swags, etc., chose to include a roof rack/basket/canvas bag to free up space inside the vehicle so we had no problem in carrying it.

The Oztent choice was easy for us to make and the RV-3 was the size we chose. First attempt at erecting it proved all promotional blurb was factual. The longest time spent is banging in the four ground support pegs. (if you need them)

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303106

Reply By: johnnic - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 21:03

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 21:03
The Black Wolf Turbo 300 leaves the Oztent RV5 for dead when it comes to internal space, particularly headroom.

If it is purely speed of set-up that you are after, then the Oztent is your best choice. However, if you like the idea of having room to stand up and move around inside your tent, have a look at the Black Wolf.

I think the quality of each is comparable - both are excellent tents.
AnswerID: 303121

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 21:50

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 21:50
I agree with the above. It was a tough decision between the two, but I went for the Black Wolf Turbo tent, primarily because I have kids and the extra USEABLE headroom in the tent is significant.

The difference in time to erect is negligible. I feel that many get too carried away with whether it takes 1 or 2 minutes to put up the tent. It's not the actual erection of the tent that takes the time, it is getting it out/off the car, getting out of the bag and unrolling it....and then the time to set up everything else...table, chairs, stove, clothes bags, etc.. I store the tent on the floor behind the two front seats as the kids feet don't yet touch the floor. When they do....it's time for a roofrack.

The other thing I liked about the Turbo tent was the fly. If you compare the time it takes to erect and include the fly, the Oztent will win hands down, but in a month trip to the Kimberley, I only put the fly on once and that was only to try it out. I would imagine it would help to keep the tent a little cooler in warm weather and warmer in really cold weather. It also provides a little 'awning' at the front of the tent. Don't even consider the optional larger awnings that are available for the Turbo. They are a complete disaster. It would be quicker to carry a tarp and a few poles and put that up!

Good luck with the decision.

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 569283

Follow Up By: jpfe8851 - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:44

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:44
Hi,

I'm another in favour of the Black Wolf Turbo... for MY needs. The CFO and me have an off-road van and only need the tent occasionally. I was convinced the Oztent was the way to go having seen them put up a few times on our travels. But when I found the packed length 2m or more for all the sizes bar the RV1 which is too short for my 1.88m frame, I realised I needed to look further. I don't have nor want a roof rack. They are a disaster on corrugations and desert trips (were I will use the tent) and I needed a tent I could stow inside the van between uses. Besides lifting 20-25kgs off the roof is not that convenient or easy for an old codger like me. The materials seem similar, both being superb. Both apparently have great serive backup if needed.

I can have the Turbo pitched including fly with 6 guy rope in about 4-5mins. The fly is preferred as it reduces condensation (a problem I read in quite a few posts with Oztent without a fly) and really takes only 2 mins to attach. By the time you add a fly and guy ropes to the Oztent, they take similar times to pitch. And I have seen many reports that say you need the guy ropes for both or risk bending or breaking the frames of either tent.

But the real clincher is the packed size at 143cm and the height and room when pitched over Oztent. My stretchers fit front to back leaving the centre free for changing. Comfort in use really is important. If there is a difference, the minute or so at most pales into insignificance to the time you spend inside your tent or regretting the wrong purchase. So, IF your needs are similar to mine then consider the Turbo. I'm thrilled with ours.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 569292

Follow Up By: johnnic - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:28

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:28
>And I have seen many reports that say you need the guy ropes for both or risk bending or breaking the frames of either tent

That's interesting John, I did not know that was the case. I've been using the fly with the BW but usually without the guy ropes, perhaps I'll have to change my wicked ways.

Do others have experience with this?

Cheers

John
FollowupID: 569318

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 11:51

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 11:51
In all my years of camping, I've never had a tent with a fly.

Never experienced condensation, only a tent being bloody hot in the middle of the day. But there again I only require the inside of the tent for sleeping and some storage.

The biggest asset you can have with any tent is a practical sized awning. This is where you cook and sit while being protected from sun and rain. Another reason I chose the Oztent.

As I mentioned above, my use for the tent is on quick excursions where access with the Camper is impractical. Quck erection and disassembly was one criteria. Livable space between the tent and the vehicle was another. The option of "filling in the living space" with side walls (one or both) when windy conditions require it was the icing on the cake.

Each to their own, but the Oztent suited us and the fact that the peak side panels were offered free as a show special (normally $269 extra) swung it for us.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 569341

Follow Up By: jpfe8851 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 16:01

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 16:01
Re your query Johnnic,

I'd agree that for either tent, if there was no risk of a blow coming through, the guy ropes would be unnecessary.

Again, while researching, most comments from folks who've had broken joints or poles of either Oztent or BW, have contributed by not securing their tents. I'm not saying you have to place out the guys every time. Trouble with the outback is you can go to bed and it's dead still then find a wind blow up overnight. After getting blown flat by a 2am wind storm south of Oodnadatta a few years back, if there's some wind about or likely, then some insurance is warranted. There aren't too many spare parts available for these tents on the CSR or Anne Beadell!

Hi Sandman, that's why I emphasised what suited MY needs. I reckon if the Oztent had been smaller packed, I'd have bought one. I didn't mean to suggest that people should buy a BW over a Oztent. Your usage seems to be entirely different to mine.

As for the fly, most dome tents have a cover fly and which provide a good thermal insulator on these synthetic fabrics. I have to say that I have had condensation issues on single skin canvas tents I used in the old days (in Winter) and I read several posts from Oztent users saying they had some condensation and that was fixed by using a fly. I have no personal experience.

Incidentally, almost all my tenting now is during winter and in the remote outback and even that is very occasional as the van has taken us to some pretty remote locations but definately not suited to the CSR and similar routes. Summer is spent in the van at coastal locations. Too hot for the outback then... This is the reason condensation was a potential issue for me. Of course this would not be a problem to owners during warmer months. Again it's all personal. It's not a criticism of any one tent. As I said they are both first class, quick erect tents, that do things different ways and one or the other will suit most owners.

John

FollowupID: 569373

Reply By: donk - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:00

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:00
If there are only 2 of you have you looked at a roof top tent

http://www.arb.com.au/arb-roof-top-tents.php

Regards Don
AnswerID: 303134

Reply By: SPRINT-GTO - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:19

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:19
Yeah I looked at both the Oztent and the Black Wolf Turbo 270 and went with the Black Wolf --great tent and have no hesitation in recommending Black Wolf.
AnswerID: 303139

Reply By: Oldman - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 23:57

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 23:57
I have a black wolf turbo compact.

It is easy to set up - without the fly - which is a pain.

But the real pain with the black wolf is the packing up - it just doesn't pack down like it should.

I am new to it so hopefully time will improve with practice.

A mate has the Oztent and they seem to be good.

Oldman
AnswerID: 303152

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 08:54

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 08:54
I look at "packing up time" rather than "putting up time", because packing up is always harder. We roll out a swag for all the overnighters and a tent for more than one night.

I reckon the single centre pole tent is still the quickest and easiest tent, and its canvas.

We also own a Microfast Mi-5, and a Black Wolf, and a Halls Breezeway tent - all very quick to put up, but a lot more effort to put away. We've almost bought an Oztent, but the inability for us to stand up straight, and the lack of floor space ruled it out.

AnswerID: 303186

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 09:55

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 09:55
My thinking to Phil.

Packing up is always harder - often its cause holiday is over and theres not so much incentive. The tents often damp , and its always easier to unfold something thats packed rather figure out how to re-fold it so it fits back into its container which always seems to small.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 569513

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:04

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:04
I have two Oztents of the older style and colours. The small one I use when by myself.....gave up the swag as a bad joke when my bladder started to age along with the rest of me :-) - the larger one the wife and I use when we go on overnighters or to places not suitable for the campertrailer. Like others have said - great tents but require external storage. Interestingly though, on the blurb on the bag show mine as Black Wolf Oztents.....seems they are one and the same company. When you have a think about it both the Oztents and Black Wolf turbo series are about quick to erect frames.....on internal the other an exoskeleton.
AnswerID: 303199

Reply By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:19

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:19
Yeah Chuck - for a dual cab I guess the Oztent is not so practical - your roof racks appear to be close together and your tray is way too short. Fortunately for us we can slide our RV3 straight in lengthways cos' the 2 meter length is perfect in our wagon (back seat down).

The Wolf seems to be the only other tent getting a mention here.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 303309

Sponsored Links