Service intervals and oil

Submitted: Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 20:13
ThreadID: 5747 Views:2861 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a 92 GQ 4.2 Diesel Patrol which has done close to 200,000km can anyone tell me what is a good oil to use in the engine and if changing the oil at 5,000km and filters at 10,000km is good or should filters and oil be changed at 5,000km.
regards Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:45

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 21:45
This is like bums, everyone has an opinion on this!

Personally, I use either Shell Rimula X or Castrol Super RX, and Nissan Oil Filters, they are cheap enough from my dealer...

Nick on the GQ list has a GQ TD42 with 530,000 hard klms using Rimula X from new, thats a good indication of its quality.

I also change oil and filters 5000klms, hey oil and filters are cheap, engines are not, ask Martyn what a GQ rebuild is worth!!! You would be safe I tink with filters at 10,000, its your call.

A few useful URL's.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4wd
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Nissan_GQ_Patrol
http://www.gqpatrol.com/
AnswerID: 23896

Reply By: tristjo - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 14:06

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 14:06
Peter,

Change oil and filters every 5,000klm. Like Truckster said, oils cheap, but a new motor, $$$???!!!.

A guy on telly up here in Qld, Tommo, that big old bush cook has an ex Police GQ. His had done over 500,000klm 3 years ago, with no problems to date. He swears by the 5k oil & filter change, and I would love to see how many klm's it has on it now, because I know it is still his daily driver.

TD42's use the same oil filters as my old L20B Bluebird, and can get filters for as little as $3.50 (Echlin), and Valvoline's are only around $7. Cheap insurance, I reckon.

I now change the oil in my dd, that Bluebird every 3 months, or around 2k, as it does alot of stop/start cold running, the oil turns to sh1t fairly quickly. Noi problems to date with her, she's done more than 260k, and doesnt use a drop of oil, and I beleive that is partly due to keeping her well oiled.

Good luck, but it's an easy half hour job.

Tristjo.
AnswerID: 23957

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 14:53

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 14:53
Peter,
Ditto, ditto & ditto, oil and filters are cheap in comparison, I always stick with the Nissan filters they are cheap enough, in some cases cost is indicative of quality, not in all cases i might add. I use Vanellus C6, I have my reasons, all good. I tried the Castrol Turbomax but wasn't as happy with that oil, don't really know why, cost was in there but the oil pressure sensor seemed to behave more erratically if that's possible on a GQ, the Vanellus seems to have a steadying effect, might just be my imagination. I used to work for Shell so the Rimula it's a good product, but I don't any longer so my allegiance has changed to another brand. Did you know that every shell product is named after a shell? As on the beach type shell... If you didn't there you go. All the ships in the Shell fleet are as well, more worthless trivia.....
Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 23959

Reply By: David N. - Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:24

Saturday, Jul 05, 2003 at 09:24
I would highly recommend you read up on bypass filters- they keep your oil much cleaner and allow you to extend your oil change intervals- if you want to. If you still do your oil changes at say 5K then your engine is being spoiled rotten (Not a bad thing)....
I have a GQ TD42 with bypass filter and only change the oil about once a year- although oil is topped up to replace that lost in the filter each time I change the bypass filter- every 2000klms- an easy 10 minute job. Have had a number of oil analysis jobs done and I could go a lot longer on oil changes....
AnswerID: 24251

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)