Angry with charges....

Submitted: Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 22:40
ThreadID: 57474 Views:3391 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
My recent post about roofracks lead to me enquire from Rhino Racks in Sydney about dealers here in Alice.
Whilst speaking to them, I got an idea of pricing for the tracks and labour needed to fit them to the truck; (one ExplorOz member kindly offered me some good racks to purchase off him)

Now living where I do, I often (always?) have to put up with the higher prices associated with "freight" - that in itself is a debate for around a nice fire one evening. So I was expecting a higher price for the tracks.
Wrong! Tracks were the same ($85), but it was the LABOUR that kills me - from the suggested price of $90 to a staggering $165 and $185 from both dealers!!! I'm sorry, but I can't stomach that. I think it's daylight robbery. The one dealer had the audacity to tell me that it's expensive to live here - while her shop is undergoing HUGE renovations! All I can see, as the customer, is that I'm paying for her new store!Yes, I'm sure they can justify the price, but you know what? I'm just not interested.
I still think it's robbery and that everyone jumps on the "freight" wagon because they think we are a captive market.
So unfortunately no Rhino racks for me.
grrrrrrr
(thank you; I feel better now!)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 23:28

Saturday, May 10, 2008 at 23:28
I know what your saying . Here in Broken Hill they have an outlet for one of the big SA furniture stores. They send adverts out for specials (same ones you would get in Adelaide) but when you go to purchase one they say "that will be an extra $200 for freight". Sorry keep you bloody lounge. The furniture has to come form the manufacturer in Bris, Syd, or Melb anyway so you can't tell me it costs that much extra to divert it to BH!!

They are just milking the remote area thing. Do you thing Harvey Norman would charge extra freight for buying something from a Brisy outlet compared to a Melb store because the manufacturer (or distributor) is in Melb....no!!!

Labour is another issue. In mining towns you have to expect to pay more because the little guys have to try and compete with the big money mining companies pay to keep employees and hence their rates are higher. I know when I lived in Roxby we were always employing guys that worked for the local mechanics in town (because we couldn't get anyone else) so the poor local bloke would get another mechanic from Adealide and within 3 months they had worked out they could get an extra $15-$20/hr extra working in the mines and the local bloke would start again. The only way to combat this was to pay the mechanics something close to the mine rates and hence his labour rates would be much higher than Adelaide prices. Add onto that the rent prices in town....

But Alice doesn't really have a mining base but you can still expect to pay more.

Personally though I've always thought that most 4x4 oulets have the attitude that any 4x4 owner has heaps of money and hence they can charge what they want.

I'd find a friend that has a bit of mechanical / DIY knowledge and pay him a couple of cartons to do it for you. Not that hard to mount a set of roof racks.
AnswerID: 303148

Follow Up By: mattie - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:48

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:48
Hughesy
I think you will find that the retail store will pay freight from a capital city(F.O.B. free on board) and the metro areas are F.I.S(free into store). However some manufacturers/suppliers will charge freight from origin to destination. I hope this helps, i think if you were to have an item(furniture) delivered to yourself from Adelaide or Sydney you may get a shock, as most furniture takes up a lot of volume for little weight and also has to packed so it is not damaged(not enough time is taken sometimes!!!!!!).
If you have moved house recently you would have a fair idea unless you were lucky enough to find someone desperate for a back load!!!

Mattie
FollowupID: 569322

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 02:22

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 02:22
cant see your problem
just for 2 bars I cant remember now but was well over $200 about 4 years ago
AnswerID: 303163

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 03:10

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 03:10
Ive said this before(and been crucified and I'll say it again) As Australians we are being overpaid-benefits etc,hence your complaint !
People don't want to hear this while all our big companies and smaller ones move offshore @ a high rate.
The party will end someday and we'll be forced to compete..All the Asians and Sundanese flooding this country will take your job for half the wages,Similar to Mexicans (off the books and there's plenty of that going on) and still be happy...

You could always drive to India to have them fitted for about $1 and still get change lol

My little rant

All the Best
AnswerID: 303165

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 07:28

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 07:28
SoloGirl,

Just had a look at the Rhino web site and worked out what you wanted fitted.
The $85 is for a pair of tracks that have to be fixed to the roof of the vehicle.
The tracks have to be lined up on the roof parallel and square, then drilled and pop riveted to the vehicle.
It is not a 5 min job.
It should also not take as long as the fitting price suggest.

Wayne
AnswerID: 303174

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:05

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:05
Well that calculates to 2 hours labour, depends how many they do in Alice.....they may only do 2 a month and the other place does 100 a months so of coarse the dealer in Sydney will be faster and cheaper.

I think 2 hours labour at $80.00+ GST per hour might be reasonable.

When comparing prices don't look at it as being expensive, depends how they do the job and what materials they use.

When we use to fit Rola racks years ago we would debur the holes, primer and seal the holes with a good paint and use high quality sealants that cost $20.00 a tube.....not $3.00 a tube silicon that will last a year.

I hate it when customers think just because the business premises are very nice (or under going renovations) and the owner/s drive expensive cars or they advertise big they are ripping off the customer and making heaps of money for then selves.

So I take it you can find someone cheaper in Alice to do it, if you can good on you but if you can't stop wingeing and learn to live with it.....what other option have you got....if you complain more is it going to help the situation and return a better outcome.

Regards Richard

AnswerID: 303187

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:13

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:13
Spot on.

God forbid the business owner, after paying his employee's, rent on the shop, Tax, super, buying stock, insurance, etc, he may want to feed his family.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 569315

Follow Up By: SoloGirl - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:04

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:04
"stop whinging" and "is complaining going to help the situation?"
Hell no and hell yes!
I'm not whinging, just voicing my displeasure and hey, Steve, we ALL have families to feed!
FollowupID: 569356

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 19:18

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 19:18
Sologirl, with you complaining on this forum is it going to get you a result of getting the rack fitted cheaper...YES or NO?

If YES well done and please tell me how?

If NO save you energy and time it has taken you to do this post and use it wisely!

What other option have you got if they are the only one in Alice who fit them.

Regards Richard
FollowupID: 569417

Follow Up By: SoloGirl - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:16

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:16
Richard,
Take a chill pill, mate.
It's my choice to comment on what I experience as it is everyone's right to do so. Everyone sees things differently.
I presume then that you have NEVER complained about ANYTHING?
(Other than people you believe are wasting time and energy?)
And what if this kind of topic had been raised around a campfire, over a few beers, or anywhere else, would you still be so acidic?

End of thread.
FollowupID: 569457

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:02

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:02
yes or no
FollowupID: 569491

Reply By: Member - beachbum - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:34

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 09:34
Hi Solo girl and have you looked at the Rola Bars. I had a set of them on a very similar unit to yours for the two years that I had it and removed them and eventually gave them to one of our boys who fitted them to his Courier and sold them with that vehicle. Can't remember the price but they are a good product and quite easily fitted to the Mazda. They use a clamp on system and don't need the tracks of other products. In addition baskets can be obtained from Super Cheap at a reasonable price and come with mounting hardware to suit. When iIhad the bars they did a trip around Aus with two Solar Panels fitted and last year did a double crossing of the Simpson on the son's vehicle with a Super Cheap basket and NO problems at any time. Theonly difficulty I found in fitting them was trying to fit them back to front. Regards, Beachbum
AnswerID: 303191

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:26

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 10:26
Gday Solo Grrrrrrrrrl, LOL

Get out of the wrong side of the Bed?
I buy all my gear from the company you are talking about and have nothing but good to say about them.
Most big products Ive bought from them are the exact same price in Alice as they are anywhere else....Have a look in the Waeco cattaloge for example, I think they are printed in Sydney? they charge whatever price is on the catlalouge. (no freight charges either!)
Ive had them fit stereos, suspension, castor adjustments and other things and have always been happy with their service and price. They even offer advice on fitting if you decide to do it yourself.
These people have been in town a long time and started their buisness in a very small premesis and have gradually expanded.

not having a go at you mate...but I think you might be barking up the wrong tree...

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 303202

Follow Up By: SoloGirl - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:08

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:08
Hey Hairy,
I have bought ALL my gear from the same people I am complaining about and often pop in to see what's on the go, and yes,they ARE nice people!
But I'm sorry, labour prices that like are simply not justified. As I said, as a customer, her comment seemed very inappropriate.

FollowupID: 569357

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:25

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 14:25
Inapropriate? Maybe...But true...it is expensive to live 1500km from the nearest capital city.

If you want to buy them and bring them around my place to fit them your welcome. Id have all the gear you need Im sure.

Cheers
FollowupID: 569362

Reply By: Charlie - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 12:18

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 12:18
Olcoolone has detailed the fitting process it wouldn't be hard to do your sell,all you need is decent rivit gun,$40 + freight from Bias Boating or Wittworths,they also sell decent silicone.
AnswerID: 303217

Sponsored Links