big wheels on hilux

Submitted: Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 20:25
ThreadID: 5748 Views:13379 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
what would be the bigest set of rims and tyres i could put on my 2002 hilux and will i need a suspention lift? have many people done mods on their hilux as everything seems to be for a cruiser or patrol? please let me know if you have, and what you did and at what cost.
thanks BOB
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 22:13

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 22:13
Well you could fit the new 54inchers if you like, on say 15x15inch rims, but would require a lot of extras.

What do you want to do with the car?
www.snakeracing.com.au is your Hilux friend
AnswerID: 23903

Follow Up By: BOB - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:31

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:31
allready have A/T for every day but want a big set of MUDS for when we go to play.
FollowupID: 16047

Reply By: relaxed- Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, Jun 30, 2003 at 22:44
BOB,
If your looking at keeping the 4by road worthyand insurable, as big as your tyre placard says you can have.
Relaxed
AnswerID: 23909

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 08:51

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 08:51
Actually,slightly larger depending on what state your vehicle is registered in. In NSW and SA its 15 mm larger in diameter before you need an engineer's certificate. I think its 30 mm in QLD, but someone may wish to confirm or correct that. Also, for some vehicles, like the Patrol, you can get (from Nissan) a new tyre placard that indicates a larger tyre (because the larger wheel/tyre combo is offered on another model in the range), and then you can go the 15/30/whatever above that.

I also believe, that if you raise the centre of gravity more than 50 mm (may be different in different states), regardless of how you do it (tyres, body lift, suspension), you must have a lane change test done by an engineer. There have been many statements about the actual cost of this but they are all mega$$$$.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
FollowupID: 16032

Follow Up By: tristjo - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:56

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:56
Guy's,

In Qld, you can increase the rolling radius by up to 50mm aver the largest factory fitted tyre on that particular model.

Might be possible to run 33x12.5 15's?? Thats prolly as big as I would go on a lux, unless you are looking at serious mods, and transporting tyres to and from events, etc.

Tristjo.
FollowupID: 16055

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 14:46
Tristjo, do you mean radius, or diameter?Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 16059

Follow Up By: relaxed- Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 23:59

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 23:59
Rohan and tristjo, fellows, I think I might have to correct the both of you on the QLD rules. A close friend of mine is a scaley (transport inspector). Because I want to fit 265/75/16 to my gu and a 2" lift later on, I thought it best to get the info straight from the horses mouth, so to speek. He told me the ruling in QLD is you can not exceed the overall diameter of the wheel (as shown on the tyre placard) by no more than 25mm. You can legally increase the diameter of the rim but then must have lower profile tyres to conform to the 25mm above the tyre placard.
To answer the question all of you are thinking, YES nearly all the 4wds in QLD running bigger tyres are not roadworthy (techniquely speaking)and therefore probably not valid for an insurance claim (key word in insurance policies, roadworthy). The only way to legally have higher profile tyres is to have the tyre placard stating the size or within 25mm of it.
On the issue of suspension lifts, they are not legal and therefore make the vehicle unroadworthy. Unless, you can obtain documentation from the manufacturer of the sprngs or coils stating that they have been constructed by that company and comply with strength and reliability standards and are made to fit that particular vehicle. Then you must write to QLD transport stating the lift you have or want to have and asking permission to have them, or yer, got to give them a copy of the letter from the manufacturer.
My friend told me that I would be more than likely be allowed to put the 2" lift on (and I can only speak for the 2" lift, dont know about any other lifts) but I must obtain permission first, otherwise I could be issued with a notice to have it removed and a fine.
So there you have it fellows, bit long winded, but thats straight from the horses mouth.
Oh, by the way, he also agrees that most of the 4wds are illegal and at the moment don't bother but that could change if head office gets a bee in there bonnet. But the other main issue here is and as I mentioned before and that is INSURANCE and the word roadwothiness. You all know insurance companies will try anything to reneg on a deal and these two things I talked about would give them an outer.
One last thing on tyres, don't listen to tyre dealers (sorry Diamond, I'm sure not all tyre dealers are like this one). Went to see a tyre dealer last Saturday, explained my concerns about size limits and he told me that I could legally go up one size as long as the speed rating and load rating were the same or better than what was on the tyre placard. Arrrrr, this isn't the case at all.
Relaxed
FollowupID: 16138

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:24

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 09:24
Thanks Relaxed. It’s good to get the good oil. Now we know the rules for NSW, SA and QLD. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have a standard, national approach? Not using the NSW model, mind you.

There has been some discussion going on at DOTA for about 2 years now on a proposal to scrap the regulations about this. Let's hope it comes to fruition, sometime soon.

Regarding your comment about insurance, it is a lot more serious than most of us consider. If a vehicle can be deemed un-roadworthy, any 3rd party property or personal liability will not be covered. We, as the owner/driver/s could easily be sued into financial oblivion for "damages" resulting from an accident. There would be virtually no defence since driving an un-roadworthy vehicle is clearly "negligence".

The key to it all, as you state, is ROADWORTHINESS. As long as we ensure modifications are approved, in writing, by the relevant state registration authority and/or we have the relevant engineer's certificate from an approved engineer, and the mods are acceptable (such acceptance obtained in writing) under our insurance policies, we're OK.

Hmmm, they like to make it difficult, eh? Let's hope none of us have to find out the hard way.
Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 16146

Follow Up By: relaxed- Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 15:54

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 15:54
Rohan
I couldn't agree any more. Its quite scary to think that there are a lot of 4wders out there who don't know the rules for the roadworthiness of there vehicles until its too late. You know it could be you or me on the receiving end of an accident from one of these mod 4wds and then we are the ones that have to do the sueing for damages. In some if not a lot of cases, people only have a few material things and not the means to fork out heaps from a court action against them leaving both broke.
Relaxed
FollowupID: 16167

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:36
So for everyones' sake, we all need to ensure we are legal (roadworthy) and covered.

I, for one, would sue the pants off someone "at fault" with an unroadworthy vehicle.Smile, you're on ExplorOz
FollowupID: 16169

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:29

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 13:29
you should get 32s on with no lift, or cutting.

if you want to go bigger, then suspensino comes into it, as does engineers, brakes, etc steering lots more
AnswerID: 23949

Follow Up By: Cruza - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 19:24

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 19:24
Does the extra 1 inch make that much of a difference in diameter and width? I thought that kind of mod was more for the jump to 35 inches? I am obviously no expert though! I was going to put 33s on my 60 series but I see a re-thinks a comin.
FollowupID: 16095

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 19:42

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 19:42
My wife says 1inch in diameter and width does.. Ive only had 12.5 wide tires, so cant judge that, but when you look at extreme trekkers, they are only narrow. and they are the bleep offroad.

Yes there has to be somewhere that there is a limit to when its going to hit things. Im no 60 expert, theres a bloke on outerlimits with a brown 60 on 35 or 37s not sure, but that takes lots of mods.spring oba

Engineers $300 (called the otehr day) for a GQ to go from 31 -> 35's...

interesting 90% of 4wds out there are running illegal size tires when you look around, Im betting they arent all engineered.....
FollowupID: 16097

Reply By: d.b. - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 20:20

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 20:20
30X9.50X15 any bigger and they will rub.
AnswerID: 23988

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 22:42

Tuesday, Jul 01, 2003 at 22:42
gday db
your right there.
we tried to fit some 31" to new hilux and they scrubbed when articulating on full lock.
found 30" to be about the biggest with out winding front up a little,looking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
FollowupID: 16131

Reply By: Goodsy - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 00:48

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 00:48
G'day bob.

Am running 265/75R16 (32's)on my 1999 hilux for the road and 32/9.5R15 simex centipedes for offroad. They fit fine. But you do have to do a bit of trimming at the rear of the front gaurd and maybe a little at the rear. If you dodn't mind doing a bit of trimming 32's fit fine. 31's will fit with a little suspension lift.
AnswerID: 24016

Reply By: Glenno - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:09

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:09
With all of the hot air on the subject of how much larger can tyres be in regards to the tyre placard I think its worthwile for anyone in Qld to read:

Qld Transport - Vehicle Mods

Especially page 16 which says a tyre can increase by not more than 15mm, and decrease by not more than 25mm.

For people to say they work in the industry and then quote figures like "increase by not more than 25mm" is a worry. If you want the facts get it in writing! The web site above is an excellent guide for any vehicle mods.

On a side note Ive heard people say you can have tyres as wide as you like as long as the guards cover then. The guide clearly says no more than 1.3times manufactures max specified width, and no more than 1.5times for 4wd's with beam axels. Very interesting.

Anyway if you live in Qld take a read and use it as your modification bible.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 24026

Reply By: xr500 - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 13:38

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2003 at 13:38
i have a bravo with 215/85x16 they are equal to 31" i think and no probs . a hilux should bleep that in
but watch the fuel economy and power drop with any bigger
xr500
AnswerID: 24033

Reply By: Roland - Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:22

Monday, Jul 07, 2003 at 12:22
Bob

I own a 2001 hilux and have recently been asking the same question! The other posted replies pretty much sum most of it up but for what its worth.......

If you are living in NSW, go to the RTA and ask for a copy of "Vehicle Standards Information Sheet No 9" - containing guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres.
Standard hilux tyres 205R16c on 16 rims have a total diameter of 732mm and total width of 203mm. Legally as an alternative you can fit 235/75's on 15inch rims or 235/70R on 16 inch rims.

A couple of different tyre companies have suggested fitting 265/70R on 16 inch rims or 31/10.5R15's but since picking up the RTA standards I have discovered that they are full of bleep and just want the sale. These can't be fitted legally in NSW without an engineers certtificate becuase the tyre diameter exceeds a tolerance of 15mm - go to www.bridgestone.com.au/tyre_div/selector/tyrespecs/D693.htm for a lsit of tyre specifications on diameteres and widths for info and compare this back to the RTA specifications and the 205R16c's specs1.

Following, at the same time when you're at the motor registry and still want to fit bigger tyres, you should probably grab a copy of the Vehicle Standard Information Sheet No 15 (Engineering signatories). To keep your "bigger" tyres legal in NSW (and your insurer happy) you'll need an engineering certificate from one of the approved engineers on that sheet. The certificate costs about $121.00 just to certify the new rims and tyres. You could probably expect to pay more if there are suspension modifications to certify.

On top of this, to get the certificate, you need to keep the wheels within the guards (you'll need to fit flares) and fix and calibrate your speedo & odometer. You can apparently get aftermarket speedo cable adapters to do this (ie from Castlemaine Hot Rod shop or other custom car mechanic shops, since I don't endorse any company in particular but the castlemaine shop is the only one I know at the moment that sells adapators for speedo cables (look on the internet with these key words) Alternative, if you want to fit 31 by 10.5's or 265/70R16's like I do, It may be possible to take speedo cable gears from a cruiser and swap them into your hilux. I still have to ring Toyota Customer Care Line to check if this is possible but the local toylota dealership people that I spoke to this morning think that this may be possible (new speedo gears cost about 50-60 $ approx).

Finally, don't go to wild with the changes. 31.5 by 10s will put your speedo out of whack by about 5% even though they have a total diameter of only 43mm more (This equates to 435 wheel revolutions by km compared to 460 per km travelled) I am not sure what this will do to the hilux gearing but I spoke to a guy with an early model hilux pusihing 33 inchers and he said that apart from the suspension modifiocations to get them to fit under the guards, the diesel was to gutless to push them, particulary in the sand and he then had to fit a turbo to make up for it.

Thats about all I know on the subject, if I manage to fit 31 by 10's under my hilux I will make another post and tell you how things went -

PS, thanks to the other people who posted on this topic, particularty those who commented on what fits under the guards of a hilux without scrubbing (max 30 by 9.5's) I think that you may have saved me much financial pain!

Regards and cheers Roland
AnswerID: 24391

Sponsored Links