Improved Frig performance

Submitted: Friday, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 575 Views:2131 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Solution - to improve efficiency of your Frig....
I have a Sadec 3 way Frig which I brought about 18 years ago ! It has always worked well on 240v and gas but was hopeless on 12v. In preparation for a 3 week trip on the CSR, I made these changes which have greatly improved its cooling, especially on 12v.
1: I covered 3 sides (not the back)and the lid, with a self adhesive sponge backed foil available from Clark Rubber.
2: I fitted a PC cooling fan inside the rear section of the frig to aid air circulation.
3: And of course the most critical modification, a heavy duty power supply direct from the battery with "proper" plugs (not cigarette lighter - The power loss using light cable is significant!)
All I need now is a timer or a battery cutout switch.
PS. If you use a solar panel, make it is portable with an extension lead, so you don't have to park the car in the sun - for obvious reasons
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alex - Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00
YES. Improving the wiring makes a HUGE difference. I have a newer chescold 3way, and with 3inches of insulation I never bothered adding to it, but i replaced the useless 12v plug in the back of the unit (after it melted) with direct 6mm wiring to a 2-pin 32v plug, which improved it no end. I tend to drive with the windows open, so I put the fridge between the front and rear open windows, which gives it good aiflow without a fan (when I'm driving, anyway. When I stop for the night I switch it to gas, which works really well. Thanks for confirming my theories on getting the best from a 3way fridge. Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 1523

Reply By: porl - Tuesday, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 04, 2001 at 01:00
What you have descibed would improve the efficiency of any 12V fridge. I have a brand new CCF30L waeco, by a keen eye and a lot of luck i noticed that the actual fridge fits perfectly inside a styrofoam broccoli box which then again all fits perfectly into the box the waeco came in. Another half a broccoli box and ten minutes with a stanley knife and you have a top half that seals down on the bottom half of the broccoli box. The difference in current draw can be up to 15 amps over a 12 hour period. If i fixed a small fan, then given the Danfoss is after all a heat exchange unit, having a fax blow away the hot air would also i presume result in lower current draw again.
AnswerID: 1526

Sponsored Links