Turbos and Super Chargers Feedback

would like to know what is the average cost of a turbo upgrade what is best for a hilux 3L dual cab and is there any truth in the saying that after market turbos can affect engine life or length of.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:53

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 20:53
Hi lockey lux,

I'll start by saying I am no mechanic but I have done a bit of research and experimenting with the turbo on my GU. Also done a lot of research on a blower for my 100 series many years ago now.

Denco Diesel in Wagga have a pretty good reputation and I would reccomend a chat with these guys to get specific mechanical answers regarding your truck and what a turbo will or won't do to it. A lot of bad news stories come from people who have not had their turbo's set-up right from the word go. Not saying all bad news stories are like this but plenty are. The strength of your particular motor (from the factory) determines how susceptable it is to a "bad news story" when a turbo is added, also how old it is and it's service schedule so a lot depends on your circumstances and is best answered by someone like Denco.

Blowers...well what can I say, you will need plenty more folded (4 or even 5 times more) to get one of these babies forcing air down your truck's throat than the average turbo but, you will get more torque from idle than any turbo could ever hope to give you. I think if was an even par cash wise, we would all be driving around with blowers instead of turbo's (they add a new dimension to your motor) but blowers just cost soooooo much more so most of us can't, or won't, justify the extra cash to get one installed.

Best regards,
Trevor.
AnswerID: 303316

Follow Up By: Rossco td105 - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:27

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:27
Have to agree with Trevor's thoughts,

Looked into both set ups and went with the turbo for shear versatility. You can turbo and intercool and fit exhaust with ceramic coated manifolds for the same sort of cash as the super charger. I guess it would be similar for your vehicle.

I would have an intercooled, supercharged 1HZ with extractors and 3 inch mandrel exhaust if it was cheaper (and I could vary the boost as easily as I can with the turbo set up).

Cheers,

Ross.
FollowupID: 569606

Reply By: kiwicol - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 14:58

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 14:58
i fitted a blower to my GQ 4.2 diesal patrol at about 180,000 and now has done 360,000ks it cost me $5500 8yrs ago, but it has been the best money spent, the tourge from idle is fantastic and is so user friendly when in the bush, if u can afford it go for it and they are more friendly on motors with higher milage. Col
AnswerID: 303439

Sponsored Links