Bleach in water

Submitted: Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:27
ThreadID: 57510 Views:2650 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
At thread 57472 there was a question about bleach in water to purify the water. Years ago I was in a pharmacy to purchase 'Puritab' water purifying tablets when the Pharmacist and I began discussing why I wanted them and where I was going. At the time I think they were about $9.95 a pack of 36 tablets and it was 1 tablet for 2 litres of water. He showed me the active ingredient - 'Sodium dichloroisocyanurate' - and asked me go next door to the Pool Shop and check the pool water sanitiser. Same stuff but for a 2kg container was $22.95 and after calculating the dosage it was a quarter teaspoon - forgot the exact weight in grams - for a 25 litre drum of water. Went back and he suggested I buy the 2kg container and have it for a lot more water and use my money for a better purpose (beer I think). Obviously, he wasn't the owner but he was a four wheel driver. Yes, there is a slight taste - just like the puritabs. Have strained water through a fine filter and allowed it to settle and poured off the clean(er) water, used the Sodium dichloroisocyanurate and never had any problems. Don't take my word for it - check it yourself and then make a decision. If you don't like this method buy the puritabs - saw them on a website for $13.95 for a pack of 36 and go without the beer.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:34

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 21:34
I recently cleaned my 20l water containers out with a dash of Bleach as a bit of water mould had appeared inside. It took about 20 minutes to clear and then I washed the container out again and let it dry in the sun and then filled it with rainwater. Water tastes good.

Cheers
AnswerID: 303330

Follow Up By: Member - Borgy.. (SA) - Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:24

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 22:24
G'day Willem

I have done the same plenty of times, and im still alive...lol

Cheers......Dave
FollowupID: 569460

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:58

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:58
Howdy folks,
if you realy want to clean up staining in your water containers, toilet bowls ( porcelain) garden fountains, bird baths etc. drop in a tablespoon of Super Shock granular pool chlorine. The active constituent is chlorine, present as calcium hypochlorite.

If you use this product to clean your drinking water container (not purify the water) then make sure you give the container a very good rinse when finished. Cheers
FollowupID: 569559

Sponsored Links