Help to kill a cane toad or 2

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2008 at 05:36
ThreadID: 57523 Views:12083 Replies:9 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Here's one for all you travelling north on the yearly pilgramidge, when discussing the trip we are doing with a mate of mine( a zoologist) he asked if I would be trying to make a dent in the cane toad population whilst we were away,
My reply "Yes, the trusty 5 iron was already packed"

He suggested a water pistol and some Dettol or Pine O Clean, when you give them a quick squirt they just hop away and die, so if everyone gives it ago we should have a lot less cane toads, I hope. ( Either that or cleaner smelling ones anyway!!)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 07:36

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 07:36
I have used Dettol for years now and it is amasing how well it works. Ages later I find dry everywhere.
It might only be in my head but I feel we have less toads around than we had a few years ago. If killed only 2 per week we might have a chance.
Reiner
AnswerID: 303386

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:12

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:12
Sprinkel salt on their heads works well too.
Apparently they ingest it into their poison sacs or something.
I can remember, as a kid in Cairns, we used to have competitions to see who could get more cane toads onto the roof of the house next door with a golf club. We lived in West Cairns, which at that time was all cane fields, so had lots of toads to practice with.
jules
FollowupID: 569495

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:19

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:19
Julie talking of toads on neighbours roof makes me smile and remember a prank a mate of mine pulled on our library teacher from school. A small fishing sinker was tied to a toads leg, dangling by about an inch, and thrown onto teacher's roof. Can just hear the tink tink tink tink tink tink all night as that toad hopped around on his roof hehehehe ahhhhhhhhhhh childhood how sweet it was.

We also used to use salt, and the cricket bats and the golf clubs whatever we had close by.

Cheers, Trevor.
FollowupID: 569498

Follow Up By: Brian - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:34

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:34
Trevor..... that is GOLD!

Brian (Gold Coast)
FollowupID: 569501

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:57

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:57
New Pressure Pack spray will on the shelves soon.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303397

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:59

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 08:59
Check this out

Aerosol spray for cane toads

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303398

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 09:19

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 09:19
Hi Dave,
Does your zoologist mate know of the Keelback Snake, I believe it is one of the few if not the only snake that can eat Cane Toads yet is totally harmless to humans. In fact it does not have any Fangs at all.

It is quite common in SE Qld and Often Mistaken for a venomous snake.

A lot of snakes are dying out because they cannot safely eat cane toads and they die, so the keepback is replacing them in the food chain, but there is a danger of people killing them without knowing what they are, thinking they are a brown, or a rough scaled snake.

They can be Identified by the fine ridges running down their scales (like a yachts Keel - hence Keelback) The keels are most noticable down the tail end.

They are the only snake with an underbelly with single wide scales all the way from head to their Anus, then past the anus they have 2 scales to the tip of the tail (I dont have a underbelly photo bit it is very noticable and their underbelly is quite light if not white in colour).

Then of course - they have no Fangs - just grinding teeth.
They usually live near water sources.

Unfortunatly very few people have ever heard of them, I ran over one with the slasher and thought it was a dangerous one as we have Kids and Horses but it took ages for me to identify, but now I am a real advocate of them.

Here are some pics of one we recently tried to save that had been run over by a car..

It eventually died so I checked out the bulge in the belly and it as a half digested cane toad.

Image Could Not Be Found

I think it would be good to educate people about it if we can.

Image Could Not Be Found

cheers

Kerry W
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303401

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 09:27

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 09:27
A funny aside to this story, My eldest daughter is totally terrified of snakes, But she brought this one into me early on a cold morning - not moving at all, she was patting it and very sad as it was apparently dead. When I told her it was very much alive (it was still quite flexible and soft) she nearly died. - We put it on the log to warm up and soon he was moving around, though he was obviously quite injured.

Interesting lesson for would be snake handlers. (And those who would bury them too soon).

regards Kerry W

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 569507

Follow Up By: Member - Dave A Karratha(WA) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 10:29

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 10:29
Yes, thats right the keel back does eat toads, they are located from the Northern Rivers of NSW to the Kimberleys, but larger toads have been known to kill them............unfortunately
FollowupID: 569516

Reply By: Member - Warfer (VIC) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 11:40

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 11:40
If its for the cane toads the Government should highly subsidize this can in my opinion...They allowed the bastard creature into this Country...

Just like the Honey Bee and the varroa mite...CSIRO underfunded once again..Wake up Rudd the last Prime Minister was a complete twit in this area.We at the moment are the only Country that hasn't been devastated by it..They predict if it gets here food prices will at least double and its highly likely it could come across from N.Z.
America would be stuffed if we did not export some of our bees..
Quite frightening really..

Cheers
AnswerID: 303417

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:12

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:12
G'day Dave,

interesting story here where one researcher is suggesting introducing them to areas where they do not exist, to help the native species learn about them before the big wave hits. Reducing the mortality rate in theory. That's a big pill to swallow.

Professor Shine's proposal
AnswerID: 303420

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:39

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:39
I know that Qlders are annoying, but I respect their input to this forum, most are very intelligent & I for one quite often benefit from their input.
I therefore don't agree with any method of killing them, I would be just happy to see them hop away now and then & let the rest of us live in peace. LOL & cheers.
AnswerID: 303453

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:48

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 20:48
Dave

The correct ingredients are half detol and half bleach.

You put it in a spray bottle and give them a squirt. Kills them without a problem.

I have killed hundred of them with this method.

The greenies reckon it is cruel. It is a pity it didn't work on the greenies. There is a lot of native animals birds and reptiles that have died because of the cane toads.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303482

Follow Up By: Member - Dave A Karratha(WA) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:00

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:00
Thanks for all replies, will try the dettol and bleach and hopefully the Mrs, kids, I and the Bridgestones will knock over a few hundred whilst we are out and about touring.

Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 569600

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 16:54

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 16:54
don't blame the cane toads - they're just doing what comes naturally - same as feral cats. Blame the people who introduced them. It always amuses me that people who reckon they like nature/animals don't have any problems treating introduced species with cruelty as if it's somehow their fault that they're in the wrong place at the wrong time. The fact is that all 'pest animals' are impressively adaptable and are admired in their native environments. If you feel a need to remove them from their introduced environment, that's fine, but at least do it humanely. Also, don't kid yourself that removing a few toads here and there is having any impact on the population. Furthermore, whilst I'm on my soapbox, the cane toad, despite having been in Qld for decades, hasn't been implicated in the extinction of any native species...unlike housing development...so perhaps you'd be better off spraying your dettol on property developers ;)
FollowupID: 569901

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:05

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:05
Pathfinder

I agree with you regarding blaming the people who introduced them. Good idea. We will spray all Queerslanders with dettol.

As for feral cats. Domestic cats cause a huge problem. Would spraying all cat owners with dettol also work.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 569910

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:53

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:53
that's an option I guess, although as Barry says above, not all Queenslanders deserve the treatment - some of them are actually worth talking to...
FollowupID: 569916

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:12

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:12
Cane toad

Have you jokers seen the movie yet?

Kingo
AnswerID: 303488

Follow Up By: Member - Burra - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:58

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:58
have now lololol
FollowupID: 569616

Sponsored Links