WAY OT - Defence Families

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2008 at 10:55
ThreadID: 57528 Views:2050 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, this is way off topic but I am hoping for a pointer in the right direction. I am a frequent visitor to this site so I know there are a few ex and current defence members on this forum. My partner is re-enlisting in a couple of weeks (army). His previous service was before we met (about 10 years ago) so I don't really know what to expect. Most of the information from Defence is not really available until AFTER he has enlisted. I am trying to research and prepare for what I am getting into (I have no hestitation or second thoughts, just need info). Does anybody know of an online forum or site that I can access to talk to partners of other defence members? I want to learn more about the lifestyle, support networks available (not just all the pretty pictures that are painted in defence brochures)? Many thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 11:08

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 11:08
Have a look at this site (DCO)

Cheers Kev

(recently retired Army 13 years)
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303414

Follow Up By: 3.0turbob - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:30

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:30
I am constantly amazed at the information available from members of this site. If there is a question, someone will have an answer. Fantastic
FollowupID: 569524

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:35

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 12:35
Makes it worth becoming a member then ;))

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 569525

Follow Up By: HowdyDoody - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:00

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:00
Thanks Kev, I have been right through their website and there is a lot of info.
FollowupID: 569546

Follow Up By: Kiwi & "Mahindra" - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 19:58

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 19:58
Kev got army bloodin him...as for me...igot army blood...just never tried for the army - just dreamt of it!

There web site is good...just hada look!

Laura
FollowupID: 569581

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 11:41

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 11:41
As Kev suggested, your best starting point would be the local DCO folks. Many of these people are Defence partners/spouses, so they should be able to give you some good pointers.

There is no doubt that Defence families face some unique stresses and problems. But that said, there are also excellent formal and informal networks available to help. Not perfect, for sure, but there are few employers who invest as much time and effort into family support, so grab what is available and use it as much as you can.

Welcome to the family.

Matt.
AnswerID: 303418

Follow Up By: HowdyDoody - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:03

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:03
Thank you Kev. As mentioned above, I have been through their website and there is a lot of info on there. However I am looking for groups (that may or may not be affiliated with defence) formed by partners or families of members that I can contact. An online forum would be great - there seems to be buckets of info around but it's hard to find unless you are already familiar with the way defence works.
And thanks for the welcome, I am very excited. It provides us with oppotunity to get out and about other parts of Aus camping & hiking easily (we are in Melb at moment and I have no doubt we will be relocated). I also get to try a new career...
FollowupID: 569547

Reply By: greenant - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 16:58

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 16:58
I work at Lavarack Barracks Townsville and they have a family centre on base called Geckos where wives and kids get together I would assume other large army establishments would have something similar this could be an avenue you may wish to persue or as stated by others try the Defence Community Organisation

Greenant
AnswerID: 303448

Follow Up By: HowdyDoody - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:04

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 17:04
Hi Greenant, I think we are going to be posted to Brisbane (Enoggera) so I will contact DCO there to see if they can offer me local advise about groups etc.
Thanks again.
FollowupID: 569548

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)