Picked up the Dog and Lemon Guide today

Submitted: Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:02
ThreadID: 57546 Views:8585 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
While waiting in the newsagent today, I picked up the Dog and Lemon Guide and browsed through what they had to say about the 80 series Landcruisers. It was interesting to note that they gave a warning regarding head problems with all the motors except the factory turbo models. They stated that after 150,000 kilometers a number of heads seemed to give up the ghost costing alot of money to repair which should see it through for another 150 thou.

This is the first I have heard or read about this apparent problem.

I understand that with any motor, neglecting to service vital components such as radiator and motor would lead to such things happening.

Just thought It would be interesting to see what you think about this.

kind regards,

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:28

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:28
The 1hzs often do over 500000ks with out being touched if serviced.
The dog and lemon guide takes a very cynical view. For instant they really rubbish falcons, yet we have had three with no major problems. Use it as a guide only, in fact if you believed everything it says nobody would buy a turbo diesel.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 303492

Follow Up By: Goldsahara - Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:47

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 21:47
Now you've let the cat out of the bag, mentioning the F word. I am waiting to see the posts from the pro C word people now. HEHE!

Well the reaserch I have done doesn't indicate any major problems with the engines in these vehicles. I cant recall any advertised with rebuilt engines. I have to agree with the cynicism of the Dog and Lemon Guide. Anything that they deem O.K would, in the real world, be a good vehicle it seems.

I think the real guide would be what I am doing on this forum. Getting real info from people who have had long term experience with these vehicles.

Regards,

Jim.
FollowupID: 569612

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 13:55

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 13:55
My son had a problem with his 80 series, it blew a Head Gasket, when
Toyota pulled it down they found a slight gouge in the top of number one cylinder, it was very minor, they ended up fixing it ok,
they put it down to not using upper cylinder lubricant, when
running the vehicle on gas, it had 160ks on the clock.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 569701

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:57

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 14:57
Yep cracked heads are common in 1hz
BUT heres the kicker
UG vehicles radiatrs get blocked with mud combined with drivers who couldnt care less cracked heads are common

Exploration vehicles requently get holed radiators resulting i overheating and cracked heads

A combintaion of alot of vehicles getting used in a manor which holes /blocks radiators and drivers who dont have to care is the source of that story
AnswerID: 303585

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 16:55

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 16:55
What did it say about 3.0 litre Nissan's?? :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 303609

Follow Up By: madfisher - Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 19:53

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 19:53
The only cars they highly recommend are toyotas, and to a lesser deegree mazdas and Subarau . LOL in the older editions they highly recommended full size holdens from the 70s while conceding most are now worn out. Pajeros do ok. Surprising benzs do poorly as do most euro brands. No need to mention what they say about rovers and Jeeps. The latest edition is worth finding at a newsagent lots of interesting reading.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 569773

Sponsored Links