Outback electronic maps

Submitted: Tuesday, May 13, 2008 at 20:59
ThreadID: 57582 Views:1775 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have just purchased Track Ranger and Australian Natmap raster premium and would like some advise on the best compatible outback maps to use with this program.

Thomo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (VIC) - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 07:03

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 07:03
Hi Thomo
I haven't used Track Ranger, but I use Ozi Explorer with Aust Natmap Raster Premium, so I assume it will take all the usual raster maps such as :
All the Hema Maps (Great Desert Tracks, Frazer Island, Cape York etc), Melways and Vic Roads etc, NSW 1:25000, SA 1:50000, Vicmap Topo 1:25000 etc and if you are a member of the CFA you could get a DVD called OZDAT 5.0 which has all the following maps on: CFA Maps, Spartial Vision Maps, DSE Maps & Melways). Each set of maps suits different needs. I just select the map that best suits the area of interest or travelling in.
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 303702

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 15:46

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 15:46
G'day Thomo,

I have both Trackranger and Ozi. Very happy with Track Ranger and will be giving it the big outback test in less than a month. I am using Natmap raster premium as well as their Hema 4x4 set. This includes all tracks. I have the UBD cities and regional as welland they all load well. I'd reccomend the Hema set as it gives you all outback hema maps including Great desert tracks. They are very good although large scale. I find the 250K better for remote outback stuff, particularly where land contours and features are of an advantage.

One interesting thing I have been doing at the moment is converting google earth images to maps for use in the Trackranger and Ozi programs. Quite simple to do and seems to work well. The actual photographs of terrain features will make things much easier in some of the more remote areas I'm heading.

If I can help in any way, just send me a mm and I'll forward you my email address.

Cheers. Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303941

Reply By: Member - Thomo - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 19:18

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 19:18
Mick, Neil, many thanks to you both for your response the advise is gave is well received.

Thankyou again Guys

Regards

Thomo
AnswerID: 303980

Sponsored Links