Carnarvon Gorge Accomodation

Submitted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 13:56
ThreadID: 57598 Views:4248 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody knows of any other places to stay at or close to Carnarvon Gorge besides Takaraka, camping in the gorge itself, or the Wilderness lodges..
For those who have stayed at those places how did they find it?

Thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul S (VIC) - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 14:25

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 14:25
G'day Russell,
We stayed at Takarakka with our CT last year and rate it as one of the highlights of our 4 month east coast adventure. It is only 4 or 5 kms from the gorge and the rangers give evening information & pre-walk briefings around a camp fire; they also have cabins.
I think the main gorge camping area is only open during school holidays, but you can park there during the day.
Make sure you allow at least 4 or 5 days to explore the area. You can walk in and out of the gorge itself in one day (about 22 kms from memory), but there are several other walks worth doing.
Cheers.
Paul
AnswerID: 303751

Follow Up By: RussellV - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 16:07

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 16:07
Thanks Paul - Sounds like a great place to visit!
FollowupID: 569892

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:29

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:29
have they changed the camping situation there in recent years? we camped in the main section probably 10 years ago now and it was great, was flushing toilets and hot showers back then, they had just built a new toilet and shower block aswell which featured composting instead of flushing toilets. wasn't school holidays when we were there, that was just where everyone camped. was a great flat grassey shaded campground.
that year the misses and myself climbed the walking track to the top of the lookout. don't know if it was the lack of oxygen or what, but it was then that i proposed marriage to the misses.
FollowupID: 569912

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 14:56

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 14:56
We spent a night in the Gorge on our way home at Easter
Ring the national parks office but it was a fantastic place to camp and 4 dollars a night, book over the internet.
Good spots for camper trailers and tents.
The recent flooding through the Gorge has resulted in tree damage all along the creek and it is a bit of a shock from our previous visits.Lots of erosion and damage done but it will recover
Lots of weed growing as well
AnswerID: 303754

Follow Up By: RussellV - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 16:08

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 16:08
Hi Trevor - Yes the floods have caused some grief out there. Thanks for the info!
FollowupID: 569893

Reply By: Holden4th - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:53

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 18:53
Was there in the Easter school holidays and stayed at Takarakka. Pitched our tents on a powered site and had a great couple of days.

At the beginning of the Gorge the NP campsite there was almost full but looked OK and was obviously a lot cheaper. However, I'd thoroughly recommend Takarakka as a place to stay with my only gripe being that the camp managers need to seriously update the food stocks they sell in their camp store. We'd just about run out of bread and when we got their none was avalalble but we were told the camp manager was bringing some back. When he got back it went in less than 5 minutes and we missed out.
AnswerID: 303789

Reply By: Member - eerfree(QLD) - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 19:44

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 19:44
RussellV
Takaraka, Wilderness Lodge and National Park - I think that is about it, there was a Farm Stay out on the Rolleston - Injune Road but I think it closed down.
Takarakka is a good stop.

Bob
AnswerID: 303799

Reply By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 22:23

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 22:23
Hi Russell

We left our Caravan at a farm stay south of the NP entrance on the development road south of Rolleston. Can't think of the name, maybe Warra ?? It was very good, quite a few vans left there while owners went into the Gorge. We don't take our van on gravel roads. Had good cabins there too, however, better to stay in the NP. Westayed at the Wilderness Lodge, it was well worth it, great accommodation and great food in the restaurant. They also provided a packed lunch each day when we went walking. Thought Takaraka looked a bit ordinary.The Gorge is terrific, you need at least 3 days there to do as much as you can.

We plan to return sometime soon!!

Enjoy your trip.
Regards
Jinki & Harry
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303844

Sponsored Links