2.8 Lt Turbo Nissan GQ Performance

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 576 Views:3857 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Information rather than a question. I have a 2.8lt Turbo Nissan GQ and was not really happy with the performance, boost not coming on until about 2200RPM etc. I read about an adjustable waste gate controller from Turbo Smart that claimed to lower the RPM of when boost is made. Well for $99.00 it is the best piece of gear you could get. Boost is now coming on at about 1600 RPM rather than 2200 RPM and you can set the waste gate up at the factory recomended 13PSI, mine was set at 8PSI. The difference is amazing and no I don't work for, or sell Turbo Smart.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim - Sunday, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 02, 2001 at 01:00
where can i buy the unit you describe .would like to fit it to my 3litre patrol
thankyou.
AnswerID: 1518

Follow Up By: John Sullivan - Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:00
Tim, Autobarn have them, or look for Turbo Smart on the web. Not sure if it is suitable for the 3lt! Best of luck.
FollowupID: 476

Reply By: Jim - Saturday, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:00
John, very interesting. I too have a 2.8TD GQ patrol, mine having had the Safari intercooler and snorkel fitted from new. Like you, I would like a bit more 'go' at times, and especially would like better turbo response at low revs, especially when touring in the High Country. I ahve checked out the TorboSmart web-site and they seem to have some interesting products. Where did you buy your controller and who fitted it? Is it easy to fit? How do you know what boost you have it set for? I am a little nervous that I could overboost the motor and damage it if I fitted it myself and didn't adjust it correctly.
AnswerID: 1557

Follow Up By: John Sullivan - Sunday, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 09, 2001 at 01:00
Jim, Very easy to fit, just cut one hose and place the unit inline. The boost is then adjustable. No danger of over boosting, as there is a blow off valve fitted, or should be, to the inlet manifold.(Goldy coloured thing on front of inlet manifold) I have just removed mine as it was lifting at 14lb and I had the boost controller set at 13lb. It would only lift some times, but it was annoying. You should not have this problem unless you did as I did, fit a 3" mandrel bent exhaust. A little bit of power gain, but not really worth it. Much better to fit boost controller. Autobarn are selling these at the moment for $99.00. I had mine fitted by Jim Jones in Morwell, only because I wanted to know exactly what was gained etc, he has a dyno. Any mechanic with a decent knowledge of diesels/turbos should be able to help you, or the iinstructions are pretty clear from memory. Interestingly, I fitted two Hi Clones to my engine, made 2 extra kilowatts on the dyno, but bugger all difference to fuel economy or driveablity, so I had them removed, money back guarantee, and tried the boost controller. Vast difference. Hope this answers your questions. If not, ask and I shall try and answer.
FollowupID: 496

Reply By: Nick - Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:00
Hi all,

I am just about to fit an intercooler, 3" exhaust and boost controler in an effort to improve the performance! should I do all of these???? Is the exhaust really worth it and did this play up with the wastegate controller?
I was all set with the info that I have recieved from a few sources but a little scepticle about doing all of these (at great expense) if not really worth it!
I eagerly await to hear from jim and John on your thoughts.
Nick
AnswerID: 1584

Follow Up By: John Sullivan - Friday, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:00
Nick, I would try the boost controller first, then if still not happy, fit the exhaust. The boost controller was OK, it was the blow off valve that was the problem, lifting early. I have removed mine and fitted a boost gauge to keep an eye on things. My exhaust cost $400.00 to make and fit, custom with first muffler before the cross member, to allow for a water tank, it improved drivablity, but it all depends on the cost. Intercoolers are something I am also looking at, pros and cons etc, I can't justify the $1800 or so that Safari want for theirs. Looking at second hand Jap one, probably above the engine to keep the turbo lag as small as possible. A lot of stuffing around though to fit etc. Hope these answer your questions, if not, ask and I shall try to answer for you.
FollowupID: 506

Follow Up By: Nick - Monday, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:00
Thanks John, I feel that this is the best way to go also. Thankyou, Nick
FollowupID: 512

Sponsored Links