Storage of clothes on a big trip

Submitted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 12:45
ThreadID: 57627 Views:3020 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,

First time writer, long time reader.....

We are off on a trip, 3 months (I've called it 100 nights). We are travelling in a Prado towing an off road Jayco Eagle. My question is storage of Clothes, my 1st thought was to use a sports bag each (2A & 2K), however am thinking this may be painful. All the cupboards / drawers are already full of other items. How have others stored clothes, does anyone have any suggestions or advice. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 12:54

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 12:54
Hi there

We restrict ourselves to one medium size clear plastic box each (only two of us) so that we can easily move it in and around our camper and stack on the floor when traveling. Don't take too many clothes.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303911

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 13:08

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 13:08
We did a 3 month trip and can support the suggestion here to not over pack. We did, I mean the bride did - think I wore the same shorts and T shirt for the 3 months.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 570017

Reply By: Member - Roscoe ET (QLD) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 13:06

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 13:06
We had a Jayco Penguin Offroad and stored our clothes in plastic boxes under the bed but I don't think your Eagle will have under bed storage, I don't know much about the Eagle.

Anyway we found the plastic boxes the best you can get a good seal with the plastic lid in case of dust. We don't take a lot of clothes, enough for 4 days, but we use a plastic washing bucket and load it up each morning before we head off with the previous days clothes. The movement of the vehicle does a great job of washing them, we use a cap of wool wash very easy to rinse out and cleans well.

Hang them up on the line overnight and they are normally dry by morning, we just keep rotating this process, it works well for us.
AnswerID: 303917

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 13:13

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 13:13
Well, we use two sports bags:-)
One for me and one for herself.

Larger items such as coats just get thrown anywhere "in the back".

More important I think is the type of clothes. (i.e. material) Clothing that can be washed, drip dried and worn are the go.

No ironing for us.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 303918

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 14:37

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 14:37
Mrs P - Go to Crazy Clarks or similar and grab 4 suitable sized suitcases each. Cheap and quite sturdy. Ours have survived a few trips already. One per person - what doesn't fit in doesn't come. Size is reasonably small. We do however have a separate bad for raincoats and another for the really warm & bulky parkas etc. Works for us. Have found suitcases much easier to rummage thru to find what we need. Oh yeah - we too are 2 A & 2 K (teenagers).
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 303925

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 15:21

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 15:21
Hi Mrs Phoenix

I'm not sure of the size of the Eagle, but when we had a wind-up similar to a Dove, we had a 'weekend' bag each for clothes, which went onto the beds when we set up, and onto the floor with the table, chairs, portable solar panel and any other junk for travelling. Back onto the floor overnight. A track suit each behind the car seat for unexpected changes in the weather, as well as bathers and a towel when travelling near the coast.

Prior to the camper, we used the plastic tubs on the back of the Ute; one each for clothes, and more for food and utensils.

We have travelled for 3 months (but in the Bushtracker, not the wind-up) and although we had oodles of room for clothes, and going to Tasmania and outback SA we needed clothes for all seasons, we still wore basically the same two or three sets of shorts and tee-shirts (washing in a bucket with lid while travelling the next day). We had a couple of track suits for cold weather.

You don't need many clothes when you are on holidays.

Enjoy the travels

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303933

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 17:37

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 17:37
Choose clothes that can take a fair bit of punishment, but dont take too many. As others have said, you do tend to wear the same couple of things all the time. But you probably will need clothes for cool/cold weather and warm/hot weather. We (no kids with us, but no trailer either) use a large sports bag or suitcase for main storage. This can be a bit inaccessible as we each also have a small travel bag that just gets "topped up" every few days from the big bag. Seems to work.

Have a fantastic 100 days - might see you on the road while we are doinhg our 100 days.

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 303961

Reply By: sepp5762 - Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 22:06

Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 22:06
I backpacked Oz & NZ for 3 mths a few years ago, survived with just 2 s/s shirts.2 l/s shirts, 2 tank tops, 2 pair of zip-off trousers 1 warm jacket and 1 waterproof jkt (& 3 sets of undies & bathers). Temps ranged from 0 degrees and snow in NZ to 38 degrees in Katherine...don't need much really.
AnswerID: 304024

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, May 16, 2008 at 00:02

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 00:02
Use large clear plastic bags. Then you can reach into them and see what you are getting hold of.

Pack the MINIMUM!!! If you find that you have forgotten an essential or get too behind with washing, you can always drop into dept store and pick up a couple of cheap things [more fun to go to an Op Shop actually]

Stop in Rosedale Vic and wash at the laundromat :-]]
AnswerID: 304049

Reply By: Alcoz - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 05:04

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 05:04
Hi, We had the same combo and did 3 months last year. We used a back pack each and they road on the front lounge with no problem. Of more importance was a cheep way to wash what you take as it gets expensive using laundry's regularly! It pays to put some thought into it before you head off.
We ended up using a broomstick with a funnel screwed to it and a 25ltr bucket, good exercise too!
ceeya!
AnswerID: 304057

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, May 16, 2008 at 09:57

Friday, May 16, 2008 at 09:57
What is already filling your storage areas? We have the Goldstream equivalent of the Swan (slightly bigger than the Eagle I think) and all clothes (2A, 2K) were stored in the underseat storage areas. We added some dividers to make them more useable (see http://users.tpg.com.au/nlandgl/campermods/campermods.html for some pictures). As well as too many clothes, spare 'backup' food that never got used, we took a TV that I wouldn't take it again (used a couple of times but wouldn't have been missed) and a porti pottie (not used but took up a lot of space).

Here's ( http://groups.msn.com/FamilyCampingAustralia/hgmonaroandfamily.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=109 ) a pic of our food pantry.

What have you got in the back of your car? A false floor adds useful storage there.

Nige.
AnswerID: 304100

Sponsored Links